New Mad Cow scare in US announced today

CaryP

Welcome to the plantation hippy superstar. I had seen that myself today. But it's just a suspected case so far. It could well turn out to be confirmed. We'll know in about a wee. Titor said that CJD was very widespread. Two confirmed cases would not be considered wide spread. Problem is, the disease could be a lot more widespread than currently reported by our govt., and you know how honest the govt. is. Thanks for the post.

Cary

ZeoEmeraude

I don't think it is something to be serious about just yet. When we see it in epidemic proportions, then it's time to switch to smaller animals. I hear that cat tastes great after the gamey season.

Timmy G

I hear that cat tastes great after the gamey season.

... :huh: come to think of it, that's when most chinese restaurants do the best business...

Darkwolf

I don't think it is something to be serious about just yet. When we see it in epidemic proportions, then it's time to switch to smaller animals. I hear that cat tastes great after the gamey season.

The problem with CJD is the long incubation period. If we are getting cases now, that probably means that there are hundreds or thousands of others who have yet to present symptoms, or who have been misdiagnosed.

CaryP

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Nov 18 2004, 06:34 PM

The problem with CJD is the long incubation period. If we are getting cases now, that probably means that there are hundreds or thousands of others who have yet to present symptoms, or who have been misdiagnosed.

Right Darkwolf. In fact, some of the speculation is that CJD masks symptoms similar to Alzheimers. And we got a ton of that these days. The epidemic could be here, and we don't know it yet. The incubation period for CJD is what, 10 to 30 years? Could be a lot of "infected" people out there waiting to show up in the stats. I'm still eating meat though. I figure if I get it, I won't care after a while.

Cary

Darkwolf

I figure if I get it, I won't care after a while.

Look at the bright side, its a disease that lets you meet new people every day. I am still eating meat, but avoiding high risk products, and getting my ground beef certified natural. Meaning it has not been fed it's own dead, or had any weird chemicals used on it. Sensible percaution I think.