New Mad Cow scare in US announced today

CaryP

Re: New Mad Cow scare in US announced today

Reading the last several posts on this thread, it had gotten a bit OT. But talking about Titor "predictions" has a way of doing that. So let's try to keep the thread on topic and talk about CJD, or mad cow disease. I found an interesting article on the source and identification of Prions, which are the market for the disease. Very interesting stuff. It may be that the processing of corn is what's at the source of CJD and similar diseases (Alzheimer's is running rampant in the U.S.). Anyway, hope this gets some conversation going.

Cary

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]<span style=\'font-family:Verdana\'>In the 1960s, Thomas Brock ([/font]<span style=\'font-family:Verdana\'>University of Wisconsin/Madison professor) was taking samples ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? of thermophilic (heat tolerant) bacteria in YellowstoneNational Park geyser pools, when he discovered a stable, highly heat-resistant thermophile he named T. Aquaticus.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? This organism survived in the near boiling temperatures at the mouth of the geysers, and exhibited unique enzymatic properties that were later determined to be invaluable to several industries, including Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), or the artificial, accelerated production of DNA from a source. This is used to culture specimens in laboratory research, allowing observation of accelerated life cycles of organisms for analysis. Another use was to convert corn and grains (using their rapid enzymatic and high temperature reactions), to fructose, allowing the development of a billion dollar sweetener industry for foods such as carbonated soft drinks. Many food industries depend on this highly economical source of sucrose fructose in their production.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Thermophiles have several distinct characteristics that should be noted here. They are an ancient class of protein called Archaea, which are thought to be one of the first lifeforms on this planet. They are found in undersea thermal vents ,in high temperature petroleum bearing rock strata, and possibly in the myriad of bacteria that make decomposition of organic life occur in nature post mortem. These are very stable protein strands, that are able to fold themselves up into impenetrably dense nodules, which then apparently secrete a metallic shell or casing (this may be part of the metabolic process of the protein, or a protective reaction to environmental conditions). Various thermophiles are able to bind copper, iron, and gold. The rapid enzymatic process exhibited by thermophiles seems to be connected to the presence of these metals, and accumulations of these trace metals in living tissue would be strongly indicative of the presence of these thermophilic proteins.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? In the manufacturing process for sucrose /fructose, corn is steeped in a solution of thermophilic bacteria, which, through the rapid and high temperature enzymatic reactions, allows the efficient separation of corn into corn syrup -in this case, sucrose and fructose. It is not known if genetically modified organisms are being used.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? This product is then refined and used in commercial food applications. The residual material (corn mash, hulls, and enormous concentrations of these thermophiles) are also sold as commercial feed for cattle, poultry, and swine.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The group of prion-related neural diseases (CWD, CJD, Alzheimer?s Disease, Parkinson\'s disease, et. al.) seem to be related to the release of these thermophiles into the food chain. As it is widely known that these products are used as game feeds (deer bait, etc.) and that rodents and wild animals may have access to these feeds, the possible connection to the current epidemic of CWD observed in North America may be significant.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The excess iron or metals found in the brain tissue of Alzheimer\'s, Parkinson\'s and Huntington\'s disease patients may indicate high concentrations of these thermophiles in the neural tissue of these patients.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Since it has been determined by the scientific community that the prion proteins bind metals (in particular, copper and iron), and since the characteristics of extremophiles and prions are identical, there is very likely a connection between the dissemination of prions in the environment and their introduction into the food chain via the sucrose /fructose extraction industrial residue that is sold as commercial animal feeds

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? <a href=\'http://www.priondata.org/data/A_hypoth.html\' target=\'_blank\'><span style=\'color:#000000\'><span style=\'color:#0000ff\'>Hypotheses for the origin and spread of BSE</span></a> discusses prion related diseases. vectors and widely accepted but erroneous</span>

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? <a href=\'http://es.epa.gov/techinfo/research/wmin/csu56-27.html\' target=\'_blank\'><span style=\'color:#000000\'><span style=\'color:#0000ff\'>WMA for a Manufacturer of Corn Syrup and Corn Starch</span></a> discusses use of enzymatic process residue as animal feed </span>

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? <a href=\'http://whyfiles.org/022critters/hot_bact.html\' target=\'_blank\'><span style=\'color:#000000\'><span style=\'color:#0000ff\'>In hot waters</span></a> ? this discusses Dr. Brock?s thermophile studies.</span>

</span></span>

?

CaryP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
What did Cary just say???...........[/b]

Not so much what I just said, but the article points to the systemic distribution of the prions found in CJD and similar diseases. JT was adamant about CJD or mad cow disease becoming an epidemic. Alzheimer's disease is exploding in the US. There has been speculation that Alzheimer's is being misdiagnosed, with CJD being the real culprit. The symptoms are fairly similar. Maybe we're all infected with CJD and don't know it, yet. The other "stuff" I said was just a request to keep posts on topic with the thread title. We kinda ventured off topic a bit. Not complaining or anything. This article points to the strong possibility that CJD will burst on to the scene in the manner that Titor said it would. That's all I was trying to say. Maybe I wasn't that clear. Big surprise. LOL

Cary

Darkwolf

Interasting, couple questions though. What is CWD? Do we know that Alztimers is prion related?

StarLord

Better question yet, How do we know that the cheap grade beef that McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Burger King used 15 to 20 years ago was safe?

That actually was what I meant by, "What did Cary just say??"

Darkwolf

Better question yet, How do we know that the cheap grade beef that McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Burger King used 15 to 20 years ago was safe?

We don't. Have a nice day.

StarLord

Oh, Well, that's fair. Now where did I leave that keyboard?............

sinister

Is CJD hereditary? My dad's side of the family has been ravaged by Alzheimer's for quite some time, and it would blow my mind if CJD was really responsible all this time. And anyone who's read "Fast Food Nation" knows that it doesn't matter what mcdonalds was doing 10-20 years ago, because right now it would be pretty hard to do worse. I am constantly disgusted by the "chicken selects' and other pathetic attempts by McDonalds and other chains to make healthier food. Ya it might say less carbs on the package, but that don't mean it wasn't made from the same, ****ty meat. The connection between Titor and mad cow that really freaks me out isn't necessarily that he was right about the 'prions', but that it was one of his primary 'predictions' and has been so prominent in the world news lately. If I were a kid right now, mad cow's disease would scare the **** out of me. It has been a major theme in our media currently, and so seems like something a real time traveller would remember being pretty important right now.

StarLord

One of the authors of titor had his or her hand in some very serious 'pots' information wise. There was Political, Medical, Scientific just to mention a few, It's either that or they had a few hundred hours time with a CRAY. Modern day extrapolations and as close to the bullseye they have hit is very interesting.

Darkwolf

One of the authors of titor had his or her hand in some very serious 'pots' information wise. There was Political, Medical, Scientific just to mention a few, It's either that or they had a few hundred hours time with a CRAY. Modern day extrapolations and as close to the bullseye they have hit is very interesting.

That or he wasn't as full of it as alot of us seem to think.