Phoenix

Originally posted by baryn@Aug 19 2004, 02:19 PM
Hi! I joined this forum today because I woke up with a theory in my head. A theory that could make time travel possible. Maybe it's not new and you have all heard it before, either way, here it goes...

We all know that Einstein said that the speed of light is always constant and to time travel you would need to move faster than the speed of light. We also know that Einstein's theory was proven false, and that the speed of light is slowed down when passing through objects like glass, crystal, and even water.

My theory is, if there was a way to create an enviroment that can slow down the speed of light enough that a \"time machine\" of sorts could move faster than the speed of light, we would be able to move foward in time in this enviroment.

Now, the enviroment, that I am not sure of. Because it could be as simple as building a submarine to move through the ocean at an incredibly rapid speed (because water slows light). My theory is flawed of course in many ways but then again, it is perfectly logical.

What if we build a craft to move through water made of crystal and glass, as to slow down the speed of light so dramatically that we wouldn't even have to move unthinkably fast.
Time travel seems so easily accessable. Then again, I am new and maybe you will lovingly school in me and my theories.
Well actual Einstein's speed of light was a conditional, the speed of light in a vacume. Before Einstein, using Galelian transformations, it was possible to have relative speeds faster than the speed of light. Consider the scenario of two photo heading towards each other at the speed of light. In Galelian transformation the one photon would apear to the other photo to be approaching it at twice the speed of light. By the Lorentz transformations that Eintstein used the length between the two photon would contract in half and each would still be traveling light speed relative to each other even if relative to an outside observer the distance would make each one traveling at light speed.

The principle does not say there can not be speeds slower then the speed of light.

Even so Einstein's principle of light speed was kind of patchy and arbitrary. So let us extend it and try to consider if it indeed said something about light could not go slower then the speed of light.

Now approaching light speed is suppose to slow time down for the observer, so slowing light down speeds time up?

Let me see if I can get the equations and we can try to tweek them. The lorzents equation is pretty dull it doesn't really do anything until you are going alsmost light speed then all kinds of things happen.