new theory...

Harte

Re: new theory...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
Hmmm, Ok. A Linear Excelerator, as in a Rail Gun or the Mag Lev, doesn't that use a combination of superfast push-pull along the way? Here is the other half of my neophyte simple insight. Physists are so 'sure' that dark matter exists, yet have nothing (equipment) to verify this YET It's mho that if the dark matter was used to both pull upon and push against, because there is so much of it the potential far exceedes what energy a single star could possibly produce. I also humbly put forth that because the energy is accesed by something that is not there but really there, the realm of what we know as speed won't behave like our old models of C and it's barriers...[/b]

Star,
Don't quit your day job (or the astral one!)

Harte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harte
SOU,
Magnets have no such potential.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"WTF\")</div>
How do you know for sure?[/b]

WTF,

The inverse square relationship. Force must constantly be applied for acceleration to take place. To use a magnetic field to apply constant force would require the magnetic field to travel along with the ship. If the ship carried a device to generate the field, no net force would be applied because of Newton's action-reaction law. So the field and it's generator must travel along with the ship using another mode of transportation. What would be used? Another magnetic field? Then that field must be made to travel along with the first field generator...ad infinitum.

Magnets can be used to accelerate things, but they are limited to close proximity because for every distance x the object travels away from the field's source, the field strength decreases by a x^2.

Harte

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
Star,
Don't quit your day job (or the astral one!)

Harte[/b]

Hey, I tried to do that but the Govt. keeps sending me mail for Nikolai Dalchimsky about some telefon messages I am supposed to be keeping.

systemoftheuniverse

I guess i didn't state the obvious. I get frustraited tring to get my point accross when I don't know what you need to hear from me.

What is the speed that magnetic waves emit from it's source? That is the potential to speed something up. Yes the force of a magnet is small, but if you have magnets on a wheel, you can turn on a electromagnet to repell this magnet. Then if you can turn it off instantly by reversing polarity, you can turn it back on at the right time to further speed it up. It's a game of timming.

Of course you'd have to have two or more magnets on opposite ends of the wheel in order to spin it in a circle. Then since magnetic waves are circles, it'd probably be easier to have two magnets at each point, creating a figure eight with the magnetic waves,.. and a groove as some sort of track for the wheel to spin on.

This at least proves the speed of light can be broken, since you are doubling the speed of magnatism by repelling forces. For I believe that when you reach the speed of light, time stops and space takes over. When you stop in spce, space stops and time takes over. It has to be physically impossiable to go backwards in time. Lots of things show this,.. but mostly since no one has come from the future porves it most. Unless aliens are really our furture selves comming back to figure out what went wrong.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"systemoftheuniverse\")</div>
I guess i didn't state the obvious. I get frustraited tring to get my point accross when I don't know what you need to hear from me.

What is the speed that magnetic waves emit from it's source? That is the potential to speed something up. Yes the force of a magnet is small, but if you have magnets on a wheel, you can turn on a electromagnet to repell this magnet. Then if you can turn it off instantly by reversing polarity, you can turn it back on at the right time to further speed it up. It's a game of timming.[/b]

SOU,
The speed that the magnetic waves propogate have absolutely nothing to do with the amount of force being applied to the magnet, For example, a refrigerator magnet will stick to your refrigerator, maybe even hold a note to your refrigerator (if you're lucky - they make them so weak these days). But these magnets will not pick up a car like the huge electromagnets at a junkyard will. Yet both magnets emit exactly the same kind of waves at exactly the same speeds. The difference is the magnetic force.

For constant acceleration, you must apply constant force, F=ma. If you apply a force a little at a time, you can get "stepwise" acceleration, that is, speed up a little and coast, speed up some more and coast, etc. Your example of magnets on a wheel would work this way. The timing involved in turning the driving magnet on and off would be to turn it on at ever decreasing intervals (since your wheel is speeding up, it takes less time each lap for the wheel magnet to be in the right spot for acceleration from the drive magnet.) Eventually you could theoretically reach a pretty high speed. But remember, your wheel must be supported by something here, like bearings. That would limit your speed.

Now, put your wheel in space so it needs no support, or you could use something like magnetic levitation to support the wheels' axle. This would eliminate friction (you'd have to be in a vacuum, air has friction too.) If it were possible to "get the timing right" as you put it, then the rotation of the wheel should be able to approach lightspeed. But here is where you would run into trouble.

The faster you go, relative to an observer that is stationary with respect to your motion, the greater your mass grows (as measured by that observer.) This is an inevitable consequence of the Special Theory of Relativity, verified many times over by physicists (and doctoral candidates) from all over the world. Imagine that "you" are the magnet on the wheel, and the "observer" is the drive magnet in this setup. Then from the point of view of the drive (observer) magnet, the wheel (you) magnet is getting heavier and heavier. As you approach c, the mass of the wheel magnet(s) approaches infinity. Eventually you reach the point where the strength of the drive magnet is insignificant compared to the mass of the wheel magnet and your wheel no longer accelerates.

Of course you'd have to have two or more magnets on opposite ends of the wheel in order to spin it in a circle. Then since magnetic waves are circles, it'd probably be easier to have two magnets at each point, creating a figure eight with the magnetic waves,.. and a groove as some sort of track for the wheel to spin on. [/b]

This is a fairly good description of an electric motor, with a rotating EM field. This type of motor, which is common, was invented by Tesla.

This at least proves the speed of light can be broken, since you are doubling the speed of magnatism by repelling forces. For I believe that when you reach the speed of light, time stops and space takes over. When you stop in spce, space stops and time takes over. [/b]

Other than the first phrase about the speed of light, this last part here is entirely accurate. The description of what would happen if you could reach the speed of light is pretty much exactly what Einstein said with Special Relativity.

thenumbersix

SoU, I think I see what you're getting at, basically something like a maglev train that is powered solely by the magnetic repulsion and in a constant loop.

If so, there are many magnetic motors out there, check out : rexresearch

This is probably the single thing that got me onto my current interests, the seemingly endless energy in a permanent magnet and its' ability to show substantially more energy than, say, gravity. Easily demonstrated by levitating one magnet above another.

This does imply an ability for non-stop acceleration. The stumbling blocks so far are two main ones that I can see. One, magnets always find an equilibrium, ie. a balance point where N and S find their resting point. This may be that our mechanical methods of trying to extract said energy are far too crude, which they clearly are...A few people in history have utilised this and created 'perpetual motion' machines that have gone on for days and even months (though how much could be attributed to the Earths' spin is unknown)

Also, mentioned by some of these magnetic motor experimenters is the fact that once energy is drawn from these supposedly permanent magnets, they lose their magnetic properties accordingly, which would make sense if we stick to the rules of thermodynamics and physics in general, energy can not be created or destroyed, only transfered...(this is a truth more than anything I know)

Yet there is no reason why we can't create a massive mag-lev launching station on the moon that wraps round a few hundred times accelerating our craft up to incredible speeds. Even a straight track anchored on the moon may be possible but then we must consider the energy transfer and the orbit of the moon and would ultimately end up burning some other form of combustible rocket material to compensate...

Your theory is sound, if I understand the way your are looking at this, it seems remarkably familiar now i've read through this thread a good few times....

Don't be offended by what looks like resistance to your ideas. What is the first thing you think of when someone proposes something, Is it is the alternative and opposite option ? Is a sign of a good thinker....

systemoftheuniverse

So the closer you get to the speed of light, the more it's mass. That means manipulating the space time continum builds up energy. WHere does this energy come from? IF you create new energy won't that mean the equal and opposite reaction will create a new energy?

When you spin matter, it wants to throw matter at an angle spiraling away from the core. The equal and opposite reaction is matter being reinforced at a perpendicular angle to the way its being thrown. This creates a stored energy. I've noticed that when your spinning, if you curl into the spin, your muscle action feels reinforced.

After metal is set, you can flex it to create a stored energy. maybe flex it the right way to tap into the spinning of matter. But what about magnets. Once a magnet's atoms are set to north and south, can you bend the magnet to manipulate the magnetic feild?

Energy is the equaling of positives and negatives. This creates a flow that we can use to change to other types of flow. yet the only applicable energy is electricity. So cold fusion is the only known possiablility to fuel something like a UFO. A UFO is circular. A UFO can travel at high speeds and change dirrections instantly. It would have to create it's own force that somehow overrides and/or cancels surrounding forces,.. in order to eleminate the effects of the g's you'd be pulling. All while levitating by some kind of repelling force toward the planet??? The only applicable forces are gravity and maybe the force creatted by spinning objects (for the Gs) and magnatism (for the levitation). Gravities equal and opposite energy could be anti-gravity only effecting anti-matter (but then would we ever see any sign of anti-matter).

Where else is there to look???

thenumbersix

you talk of manipulating space and time, wouldn't it fit more into the physical laws of the universe that if we can reach the speed of light then we can and this is then obviously allowed, only our concepts would require a 'manipulation' of space time and therefore the gain of energy would also only be perceived, not actual ?

Wildstar

As for the extent of the universe WMAP finding show that the shape of the universe is not closed but is actually flat. This indicates that the universe is infinite in extent. It has been pinned down to 13.7 billion years old +/- 2%. There are other type's of fusion beside cold fusion. Yes, the closer you get to the speed of light the more massive you become. I think this has to do with moving through the Higgs ocean and experiencing the drag thereof.