Parallel past?

Into the Mystic

I've mentioned this a few times on various threads but I thought I'd start a new thread to properly articulate what I'm thinking. Here goes:

I wish to go back to August 2013 and relive my life from there. I plan to try out Traveller Malaki's methods to achieve this.

Life for me in 2013 was better than it is now, but one major thing was that my family really struggled financially. If I am to go back to 2013, can I change it so that we aren't struggling so much, thus creating a parallel past?

It's late (1.35am in England) and I'm tired, so if anyone wants me to elaborate then I will later on. It's just a thought that has been in my head for a while. I sometimes struggle to put my thoughts into words, so apologies for that.

P.S: I'll definitely elaborate on this later on :D

Into the Mystic

Right. My laptop broke the day after I posted the OP and it had to be fixed. I've only just got it back. Now, at last, I shall elaborate :D

In the 2013 that I have already experienced, life was okay, but as I said in the OP, my family were REALLY struggling financially and there were some days in which I had just one meal. If I am to go back to 2013, I do not wish to go through this again. My question is: can I go to a 2013 where my family were comfortable financially? Where my parents had different jobs which paid more £? I think the fact we struggled so much and the fact my ex's family were so well off contributed to my being a bit of a dick towards her because I was jealous. I don't want to do that again, so I'd love for my family in 2013 to be comfortable.

Also, my ex had, before and in 2013, been abroad to a couple of places, but one of these places, I think, changed her as a person, and not for the better. Can I go to a 2013 where she has never been to this place? So if I was to ask her if she's ever been abroad her reply would either be 'no' or 'yes', but she wouldn't mention this place?

So yeah, this is a sort of 'parallel past' that I wish to go to. I think it exists: I think every possible world exists because of the Multiverse theory; I just want to get to it. So I'd be time travelling but to a different 2013.

I'm not very good at putting my thoughts down into words so if anyone has any questions or is a bit confused, feel free to ask and I'll answer :) Thanks for reading.

Harte

Even if there are an infinite number of alternate timelines/universes, that doesn't mean that any particular timeline must exist out there.
Infinity minus one trillion is still infinity.

Harte

Harte

Even if there are an infinite number of alternate timelines/universes, that doesn't mean that any particular timeline must exist out there.
Infinity minus one trillion is still infinity.

Harte

But is it possible? What I want? Can it be done?
Nobody really knows, but IMO certainly not.

I know that when Einstein and Rosen first pointed out their theorized "Einstein-Rosen Bridge" (wormhole,) the math that described it made it an impossibility to know ahead of time when or where (or even what universe) you would come out in on the other end.

Harte

TimeFlipper

@Harte Not True Hartey, i saw Denzel Washington in the movie Deja Vu go back in time and save a lovely woman using the Einstein-Rosen Bridge, so there!...And here she is looking alive and lovely as proof..Paula Patton ;) :LOL:
Paula-Patton-in-Maxim-Magazine-Australia-April-2012-Issue-4.jpg

Harte

The term is no longer in popular use - being replaced by "wormhole," though the original one was part of the geometry around a rotating black hole.
But, it is used sometimes. Another example is in "Thor."

Harte

Dr Zaius

I have no desire to return to the past, the future is where it's at if I were to time travel, and even that seems to be an uncertain quest for many reasons. Don't you think that it would be a more effective strategy to re-examine your decision making process and make changes accordingly? Many, if not all of the reasons I hear from people who want to re-visit their past are directly tied to flaws in their decision making. If one were to return to their past, change a few events and then immediately return to their old habits, it is easy to see a perpetual loop that would burn out the time machine. My focus is on finding other dimensions that possibly intertwine with our own, time travel really seems pretty daunting and fraught with complex issues that could possibly affect all of us in untold ways. Many who talk about time travel have expectations of control, but i rarely hear anyone discuss the negative probabilities that would accompany altered time. What if one gets stuck outside of time and has to watch yourself make the same mistakes over and over? What if the minor thing one changes causes catastrophic events that spiral out of control? What if you get stuck in a timeline where nothing is familiar and you are forced to wander a strange world without friends or family? I suppose that one could also get lost in a parallel dimension, however, it only risks the traveller and not others.

Japrim

Don't you think that it would be a more effective strategy to re-examine your decision making process and make changes accordingly? Many, if not all of the reasons I hear from people who want to re-visit their past are directly tied to flaws in their decision making. If one were to return to their past, change a few events and then immediately return to their old habits, it is easy to see a perpetual loop that would burn out the time machine.

Excellent point.

Cause/effect would originate from your decisions, thus it stands to reason that your decision making process function properly and you have an understanding of time travel before you start tweaking things across time.

I think mechanical aptitude and intellect are almost a requirement if you expect to not wreck something/everything.

My focus is on finding other dimensions that possibly intertwine with our own, time travel really seems pretty daunting and fraught with complex issues that could possibly affect all of us in untold ways. Many who talk about time travel have expectations of control, but i rarely hear anyone discuss the negative probabilities that would accompany altered time.

Again, excellent point.

When I am contemplating hypothetical missions, pondering all the what who when where hows and whys, I find myself trying to do so with the parameters of having the least amount of influence as possible, to do what is intended, but nothing else. ...just for that reason. I consider the exponentials of the butterfly effect.

Your presence alone can potentially have disastrous effects. You catch a nasty flu-type sickness that knocks you out for a week. It spreads to others who would otherwise not get the flu. One of them happens to be a retired 80 something year old, who is particularly vulnerable to disease, who is also a chemist and about to invent a new highly efficient readily available fuel, thus stopping wars and famine, death, heath issues, economic effects, etc., etc., ..because you were simply there to cough in an elevator or something, you got them sick, they die, and thus the world endures/suffers for another 50 years before someone else invents it.

You would have to stay relatively isolated as to avoid a potential disaster.

Visa versa; If you were an integral part of a time line, and you didn't go back to make it so, it could have the same disastrous effects, only from an inverse mechanical application (if you will).