People's Temple (Jonestown) Today

Alef-Tav

I am a member of People's Temple, founded by the prophet James "Jim" W. Jones in 1955. Most people remember us for the so-called "Jonestown Massacre" that occurred in Guyana in 1978, where over 900 people committed Revolutionary Suicide as an act of disobedience against world imperialism. Most believe our Faith ended with that event at Jonestown, but that is incorrect. We believers are still around, trying to bring heaven down to earth.

Ask me anything.

TnWatchdog

First things first...it would be best to lay off that Kool-Aid.

Secondly...where are you all located and were any of you former members? Why are you coming forward at this time?

Alef-Tav

Most of us are located in northern New England. We gather in members homes once a month, rotating between members to determine whose home to gather in each month. Some of the older generation of members were members when Jones was leader, but not all lived at Jonestown. Although some did. Most of us now are descendants of original members, and a small few are converts.

I'm coming forward because I love my faith and my community, I do not represent the Temple as a whole. I just want to clear up some misconceptions about the Temple, and perhaps share some of our current beliefs.

TimeFlipper

I recall back in the summer of 1976, two American guys knocked on my front door who were Mormons..
Not knowing much about their religion i decided to invite them in and find out more..

They stayed about two hours and i must say my wife and me enjoyed their company, and most Americans are very good at conversing..
One of the guys called Dave told us about the "prophet" Joseph Smith and the visions he had in which he saw God Jesus and an Angel who told him where to find a buried book of golden plates which were inscribed with a Judeo-Christian history of an ancient American civilisation..

Some years later Joseph Smith wrote the book, The Book Of Morman, which was an English version of the golden plates he found...He then founded a church which he called the Church of Christ, and members of it were known as Mormons or Latter Day Saints...Now here comes the interesting part of the story..

Dave told us that once he had explained to my wife and me about Joseph Smith and the golden plates, we were "expected" to become Morman`s also!!....And of course the cost of joining them was the statutory 10% of earnings for every Morman church member :ROFLMAO:..

So therefore my question to @Alef-Tav is to tell us how "Jim W Jones" became involved in the foundation of the Peoples Temple and more importantly, how much is wanted to become a member of that temple....20% of earnings maybe?? :LOL:..