Real Photos of Black Holes

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
467378main_death_star.jpg

Courtesy of NASA: "the jet from a black hole at the center of a galaxy striking the edge of another galaxy"

sgr_lg_2.jpg

Courtesy of NASA: "Sagittarius A* is the black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy."

According to some people, NASA is lying.

Feel free to contribute real photos.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Yes, NASA is lying. And it's gotten way out of control. Where is the scientific proof to back up the claim that these are Black Holes?

Of course the first picture looks like a luminous cloud. No Black Hole there.

And the second picture looks like a radiant blob. Hardly a candidate for a Black Hole.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Well, I don't know, just a guess here, but an X-Ray photo my perhaps work like a negative...?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Black Holes do not give off any type of radiation at all. An x-ray photo is a photo of emissions outside the visible range. So what we are looking at are objects that are emitting radiation in the x-ray range of the spectrum.

Harte

The vicinity of an event horizon emits ridiculously huge amounts of radiation, caused by the consumption of nearby matter by the black hole.
The black hole itself doesn't emit, except for Hawking radiation, which is still theoretical.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
The vicinity of an event horizon emits ridiculously huge amounts of radiation, caused by the consumption of nearby matter by the black hole.
The black hole itself doesn't emit, except for Hawking radiation, which is still theoretical.

Harte

Ok, maybe the proper term for a Kerr black hole is "spits out" ? Deflects?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
So I'm giving you an assignment. Come back with just one astronomical observation that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Black Holes exist. I'm looking for the scientific method here, not opinions or conjectures. Good Luck...

I can't. You said I have to experience it personally. I don't have my own hubble and I wouldn't survive if I made it to a black hole. Furthermore, because you have already made up your mind, no evidence by myself or anyone else would change your mind. You've already decided.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
So I'm giving you an assignment. Come back with just one astronomical observation that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Black Holes exist. I'm looking for the scientific method here, not opinions or conjectures. Good Luck...

I can't. You said I have to experience it personally. I don't have my own hubble and I wouldn't survive if I made it to a black hole. Furthermore, because you have already made up your mind, no evidence by myself or anyone else would change your mind. You've already decided.

Chicken?