Debate Reincarnation is far more likely than an afterlife

Lennie5

Given the premise as I believe that dimension jumping is caused by the shifting of consciousness from one version of oneself and another to better fit with your needs (and to a lesser extent desires) at any given period of time reincarnation seems to me a more logical form of postmortem survival than an after life.
Since in any form of time or dimensional travel a vessel or receptacle ie. a body with a preexisting set of instincts and memory capacity is necessary, the idea of non corporeal existence seems an anathema.
Therefore at the moment of mortal death, the idea of one's consciousness jumping to a dimension where there is a free receptacle, seems far more possible.
This new body if an infant will have course have a more limited brain capacity as the body has not yet achieved optimum potential, therefore a percentage of knowledge is necessarily lost, traumatic events, bad experiences, but conversely skills and passions, important memories carry across and either surface naturally or can be explored using therapy and hypnosis.
There are of course other instance of people suddenly finding themselves in an unfamiliar adult body of a totally different person, with only limited access to the host bodies memories, but carrying the vast majority of their own previous life experience with them.
In such cases, I can only assume either the new host has dimension jumped accidently (under trauma or fear of death, and an alternate version has not moved in to fill the vacuum either because there is not one or for some other unknown reason) or has disembodied and perished. In such a case it is possible that an extradimensional dying person with no other like host to jump to has filled the gap for the sake of post mortem survival. It is of course also possible that the two version of one person have diverged so far in their separate lives that they are unrecognisable to one another.

Thoughts?

Mayhem

Zenith
The soul is immortal, progression of the soul has many aspects.
As does his many mansions.

For as you have said circumstances such as a violent death where the passing is not natural,
this may have a bearing on such matters.

It may be confused the after life, with such texts as The Egyptian Book of the dead.

They seen it has ascending. In another way of speaking.

A good source to look upon Is the The Emerald Tablets. Thoth

Lennie5

I dislike words like soul and spirit as they carry to much connotative baggage with them, and are too open to privatised meanings based on religious background.
I prefer to to use the word consciousness, or at a push essence...that which is the essential indicator of your cumulative knowledge and experience similar to the Egyptian Ka (or Vulcan Katra if you are a star trek fan).
The book of the dead by the educator and priest Ani (budge translation is the best one) and the book of coming forth from the pyramid text are essential reading, I have my doubts about the emerald tablets as we do not have the original and the earliest known text is from the 6th century, by which time like the gospels it was probably corrupted, if in fact it ever existed at all. No sufficiently similar text has ever been unearthed from the period of time other Egyptian books have been (between 3000 BCE and 600 CE) so it is a bit of a new boy on the block, I rank its credibility on about a par (though probably a bit higher) with the Gospel of Peace.

Mayhem

Zenith
The book of the dead by the educator and priest Ani (budge translation is the best one), Yes.

soul and spirit/consciousness, or at a push essence.

Its all frequency and vibration.

Harte

Given the premise as I believe that dimension jumping is caused by the shifting of consciousness from one version of oneself and another to better fit with your needs (and to a lesser extent desires)
See that?
That is the sand you're trying to build your house on.

Harte

Harte

Sure.
Given the premise as I believe that dimension jumping
There is no evidence of dimension jumping.
is caused by the shifting of consciousness from one version of oneself and another to better fit with your needs (and to a lesser extent desires)
There is only one version of yourself.

With falsity as your premise, you cannot construct a viable theory.
With sand as your foundation, you cannot construct a viable dwelling.

Harte

Lennie5

There is no evidence of dimension jumping.
This is true and given that I was claiming there was, perhaps you might have a point. However since several boards on this site take it as a given that there is such a thing as inter-dimensional travel (with or without proof) it is a valid starting point for discussion and hypothesising, in much the same way as one can discuss theology with out a shred of actual evidence for the existence of God.

There is only one version of yourself.

Not if you are an advocate of phase space and the many worlds theory as a possible interpretation of quantum mechanics, true technically an alternate time line or alternate dimension version of oneself would not actually be the same person either physically or experientially it is fair to designate that person a variation or alternate version of the subject, if for no other reason than clarity and brevity.

With falsity as your premise, you cannot construct a viable theory.

Which is the whole point of hypothesis and falsification, by discussion observation experimentation and attempts at consistent duplication, in order to form a theory or dismiss the hypothesis as unsound, really this is page one stuff.

With sand as your foundation, you cannot construct a viable dwelling.
Could you not find someone better to quote than Jesus for you analogy? Someone who actually existed for instance,
Bertrand Russell would be ashamed to have his name quoted in such a post, and by the way you misquoted him anyway, the actual quote is

• "Most people would rather die than think; many do." The ABC of Relativity (1925), p. 166

Harte

Sorry, you're misquote of Russell is considered a variant.
And regarding Jesus, I was just being kind to you.
You know, trying to help.
Seems you could use it.

Harte

Lennie5

Sorry, you're misquote of Russell is considered a variant.

Only by Wikipedia that is why I provided a reference

And regarding Jesus, I was just being kind to you. You know, trying to help.

In what why could that be considered kind or helpful?

Seems you could use it.

From what series of presumptions do you draw that spurious conclusion?