Scientists Fear Massive Solar Storm Could Hit Earth

Poison Pen

We all know that major storms can wreak havoc, flooding cities and decimating infrastructure. But there’s an even bigger worry than wind and rain: space weather. If a massive solar storm hit us, our technology would be wiped out. The entire planet could go dark.

“We’re much more reliant on technology these days that is vulnerable to space weather than we were in the past,” said Thomas Berger, director of the Space Weather Prediction Center at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. He told Gizmodo, “If we were hit by an extreme event today, it’d be very difficult to respond.”

“Solar storm” is a generic term used to describe a bunch of stuff the Sun hurls our way, including x-rays, charged particles, and magnetized plasma. A massive solar storm hasn’t hit the Earth since the mid-19th century, but space weather scientists are very worried about the possibility of another.

Scientists Fear Massive Solar Storm Could Hit Earth - Patriot Rising

These are what is often termed Coronal Mass Ejection.

NASA/Marshall Solar Physics

There have been many of these. The 1859 Solar Storm:

Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or some may remember the near miss we had in July 2012.

TnWatchdog

If it hits, I hope it holds off until next year as I am enjoying watching football. A solar storm would just mess things up. Several movies I've seen depict this happening, while people are looting...stealing TV sets (stupid) as the grid is going out.
Movies are listed on thread...
Movie Recommendations?

TnWatchdog

Interesting info Pen.
I remember Zig Ziglar would tell you to imagine taking a trip to Acapulco...you plan first, work your plan, and get things done for the trip. So why not plan for a trip to Acapulco every day? Same can be said for a 12 hour warning, possibly your last 12 hours. Plan every day like it could be your last day...enjoying friends and family. I wouldn't be worried about earth's last call, just pop another cold one, put on those sunglasses, apply extra sunscreen, and look for one big ass shade tree.

Derrick C.

If it hits, I hope it holds off until next year as I am enjoying watching football. A solar storm would just mess things up. Several movies I've seen depict this happening, while people are looting...stealing TV sets (stupid) as the grid is going out.
Movies are listed on thread...
Movie Recommendations?
2015 NFL Season kicks off tonight, GO 49ers!!! if my 49ers dont win super bowl this year then let the big asteroid or biggest solar storm ever hit the earth and restart everything :) :ROFLMAO::cautious::eek:

Derrick C.

Interesting info Pen.
I remember Zig Ziglar would tell you to imagine taking a trip to Acapulco...you plan first, work your plan, and get things done for the trip. So why not plan for a trip to Acapulco every day? Same can be said for a 12 hour warning, possibly your last 12 hours. Plan every day like it could be your last day...enjoying friends and family. I wouldn't be worried about earth's last call, just pop another cold one, put on those sunglasses, apply extra sunscreen, and look for one big ass shade tree.
LOL yup well said