South Fork Bridge photo Nov. 1940s

gl100

Re: South Fork Bridge photo Nov. 1940s

Actually sun glasses with side panels were pretty common back in the early fifties when I was a kid. As far as his shirt, I agree that it probably is a common sweatshirt.

I think he looks odd to most people because he stands out and doesn't fit with the modern world's view of life 70 years ago.
Kind of like seeing hidden headlights on a 37 Cord.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Another photo of Hipster “Time Traveller” found

file0071.jpg

Oh, the power and the wisdom of Internet people. After more than 100k hits to the hipster “time traveller” in 1940 story, comes the comment from Angie who found another photo of the South Fork bridge reopening… and it seems to have also recorded the man in question!
This second photograph was found on the John Wihksne Collection, and is properly captioned “Opening of the new (1940) bridge at South Fork”.
Here’s an enlargement to help you locate the target:

timetravelhipster2nd.jpg

And let’s remember the original photo on the Bralorne-Pioneer museum:

timeoriginal.jpg

The cars, the tall hipster, everything seems in perfect order.
The man was there, and as we checked, his clothes, glasses and camera were available in 1940. So we return to our original conclusion:
“This is not much of a proof of time travel, and more like evidence of the cyclic nature of fashion.”

(source)

StarLord

Actually sun glasses with side panels were pretty common back in the early fifties when I was a kid. As far as his shirt, I agree that it probably is a common sweatshirt.

I think he looks odd to most people because he stands out and doesn't fit with the modern world's view of life 70 years ago.
Kind of like seeing hidden headlights on a 37 Cord.

The Photo is shopped. The major clue should be the angle of lighting. Look at the shadow of his ear, look at the guy in front of him standing next to the car. Their ears jut out pretty much the same, the guy next to the car should have the same shadow across the cheek, he doesn't.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

How can it be Photoshopped when the photograph comes directly from a museum exhibit?

Also, the guy in the second photograph looks like it could definitely be the same person; same height, same hair style, the car with the ribbon on the roof is in the same position... Seems like a lot of work to insert someone who bears no futuristic traits into two museum photographs.

StarLord

ok, how do you explain the angle of light? Find the next guy with the same size ears, how come the shadow of his ears do not appear the same across his cheek as Mr. Mt. Glasses does?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I dunno, maybe his ears are being pushed out by those radical glasses.

This is an Occam's Razor scenario for me:

1. The guy is visible in both photographs.
  2. There's nothing remarkable or out of place about this guy to even warrant someone Photoshopping it.
  3. The photos can't be Photoshopped if the scans come directly from a museum.
  4. I'm not seeing anything weird about how the light hits his ears.

StarLord

It's the length of the shadow the ear makes. perhaps he has very large ears that don't show up.

Keroscene

It's the length of the shadow the ear makes. perhaps he has very large ears that don't show up.

That's true, he could have yoda ears. The contrast could be blending with his 5 o'clock shadow. Alot of the shadows look inconsistent though. THe guy on he bottom right looks like he should have should bright sun on the side of his face. It's difficult for me to place where the sun is in these pictures and which direction the photo is without looking at the bridge on a map for reference. Care to guess?

StarLord

Look at third person in front row, whitewalls haircut. Pretty much same angle. Where's the shadow of his ears.

"There are many reasons why a time traveller would come. It was the start of WWII."
Undoubtedly to find Gibbs and join in on selling his rig for a slice of the pie. TINSTAFL