Supply checklist

Lonewolf

Supply checklist

I was reading the go north column, reading about what some of us have ready right now.
I would like to hear more and wanted to start this to throw out some suggestions. My main one right now is for everyone to look into recumbant bikes. Regular bikes aren't bad, but if you want to ride all day long, recumbants are better for carrying things, and for overall body support.
I am sure that everyone here has at least one copy of the U.S. constitution.

sosuemetoo

Supply checklist

Originally posted by Lonewolf@Aug 13 2004, 04:55 AM
I was reading the go north column, reading about what some of us have ready right now.

I think this thread would be fantastic with additional links to survival check lists. If I get some time in the next few days, I will post some of the better ones that I have bookmarked.

Remember, this is not paranoia, this is being prepared.

"Mom"

Judge Bean

Supply checklist

Originally posted by sosuemetoo+Aug 13 2004, 12:39 PM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Lonewolf@Aug 13 2004, 04:55 AM

I think this thread would be fantastic with additional links to survival check lists. If I get some time in the next few days, I will post some of the better ones that I have bookmarked.

Remember, this is not paranoia, this is being prepared.

"Mom"
[/b][/quote]

If it doesn't sound too critical, I'd like to point out that some of you seem to be skipping over the interim war and becoming preoccupied with surviving the holocaust.

You cannot fight a civil war with bicycles.

HackimerRob

Supply checklist

I've got:
One Grossly dirty joke book.
Two fishing poles.
One of those Bike scooter things, and a bike.
A guitar.
pens and paper out the wazoo, and I write poetry.
A rat. (most likely will expire before the end of next year).
hopefully by then I will have a working remote controll helicopter. That should come in handy.

sosuemetoo

Supply checklist

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Aug 13 2004, 02:38 PM
If it doesn't sound too critical, I'd like to point out that some of you seem to be skipping over the interim war and becoming preoccupied with surviving the holocaust.

You cannot fight a civil war with bicycles.

Paul,
True, very true. Perhaps we need to sets of supplies:

What to have in case you and your family need to be self sufficient during the interim war...or have to leave quickly during the interim war.

What to have in case of a holocaust.

"Mom"

quetzal

Supply checklist

Here are some things I would put in a "grab and run" bag:

non-hybrid organic vegetable seeds and brief info on how to cultivate them, especially plants that need less water (for any future time when resettling and rebuilding seems like a possibility)

cypro-useful against some biological weapons like anthrax, as well as against waterbourne diseases like dysentary

something like neosporin for cuts

socks that wick away moisture and good hiking shoes

a small earbud radio like are made for runners

water purification equipment

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Supply checklist

Perhaps it might be a good time to consider some sort of fallout shelter? Instead of running around on the surface in plain sight of satellites and such, you could be hidden safely underground.

starwolf

Supply checklist

i have been trained to survive indefinately in any climate or situation. all you need is several layers of clothing, a good quality knife, nylon rope, water source, abundant wildlife, fish or small mammals are the best. insects will do in a pinch but there are many that are toxic. maggots on wood are the best. do not eat them from a carcass. get your insects from trees, and avoid most moth and butterfly larve, most are toxic. as well as vivid and brightly colored insects. shelter can easily be made from anything. i have dug holes and made a cover, i have slept in rotten logs, caves. anywhere you can escape the elements.

rolf

Supply checklist

I highly recommend a trailstove for outdoor situations. I have one and think its wonderful.

www.trailstove.com

For anyone who camps often, you know that cooking on a campfire is kind of a pain. And if you have a campstove, you know that carrying enough propane for a week is heavy enough. Plus in a shortage situation, propane might not be easy to get.

But, most raw food is not as safe or delicious as cooked food.

The trailstove burns wood in a small unit in a very efficient manner. Its very easy to get a fire going in one of these, and very easy to maintain. The downsides are that fires usually dont last all that long, maybe 20 minutes, so I generally have to refuel it while cooking. And it doesn't burn quite as hot as a propane campstove or stovetop, but neither does a campfire. Its way faster to get this to a cooking temperature than a campfire.

They are very lightweight, and seem fairly durable. Its a great device.