Supply checklist

Judge Bean

Supply checklist

Originally posted by rolf+Aug 18 2004, 07:41 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Paul J. Lyon@Aug 16 2004, 01:52 PM
If we are completely dependent on one another, there will be no war to have to survive.

Correct. Interdependance is a good thing. Independance is also simultaneously a good thing.

Consider that every person that now needing assistance and alternatives is a drain on services and a burden to support. Now consider other people that did not need any extra help, and rather than cause a burden on a support system, could even provide their own tiny support system for other people.

And now ask yourself which group you want to be in. Whether its natural disasters, scary people with bombs, or whatever, I think everyone here agrees that its prudent to be able to be a provider for something, and not a consumer of everything. The more steps each of us takes to be able to provide at least one of the basic neccessities of life, (food, water, shelter, energy) the more interdependant and safer our lives become.
[snapback]7136[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Not sure how this works out morally, but here's my position for what it's worth:

Women and children first.

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

○ - Battery Powered Radio
○ - Battery Powered Flashlight
○ - Extra Batteries
○ - Blankets
○ - Booster Cables
○ - Fire Extinguisher
○ - First Aid Kit
○ - First Aid Manual
○ - Bottled Water
○ - High Energy Foods
○ - Tire Repair Kit
○ - Tire Pump
○ - Maps
○ - Shovel
○ - Flares
○ - Rain Gear
○ - Extra Pair of Glasses
○ - Sturdy Shoes
○ - Extra Set of Keys
○ - Water, 1 Gallon, Per-Person, Per-Day.
○ - Non-Perishable Foods

Basically from FEMA.

Judge Bean

Supply checklist

Originally posted by TheOrangeMan@Sep 13 2004, 09:41 PM
○ - Tire Repair Kit
○ - Tire Pump
Basically from FEMA.

Ah yes, FEMA-- the For Emergencies Moveyourasstothecountryside Agency. I'm sure that one of their manuals tells you how to click your ruby heels together to get back home again after the fallout settles, too.

Of course, no gas, though: those are bike tires you are meant to pump and repair.

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

Who says no gas? :D :D :D

I have enough to drive several hundred miles. Plus if something happens I have a farm I can go to about 100 miles away. It has a 500 gallon tank of fuel there.

You can get pumps and repair kits for car/truck/SUV tires as well. I have some of them also.

Oh and a few spare tires on Rims.

If the Titor saga plays out. I'm going rogue. :-D

CaryP

Supply checklist

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Sep 16 2004, 02:03 PM

And what of others? Every man for himself?

For the most part, yes. That's what'll happen. You need a network ahead of time otherwise you won't be able to contact people who would be willing to help. Personally, I ain't going nowhere. I mean, where would I go. I have a wife, two dependant children and a 90 yr. old mother-in-law to consider. Bugging out wouldn't be a realistic alternative.

I plan on staying and doing what I can to help those around me. That may not be long range planning, but it would be a start. Building something from devastation might be the best place to start. Travel will not be easy, and susceptible to "rogues" who are in it for themselves. Better to stay near those who know you to band together. I've got family to consider. If it were just me to worry about, I might have different thoughts.

Cary

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

hahahaha. I didn't think people would take me seriously with the "rogue" comment... it was more of a joke and a nod towards "Road Warrior." ;)

Anyway... i too have a wife as well, and inlaws and my parents, and younger brothers and sisters (6 of them.) Plus I have several friends who are "with me" (all from various walks of life) If something goes down. I have tracked paths and passages for scavenger runs as well as finding solid locals for safty. Mainly being my grandparents old farm... with it's numerous tools and buildings.

This is a terrible example... but... ever seen jeremiah? I plan on being "thunder mountain" (Basically a group of people with the resources and goal of helping people.)

I guess I "lucky" beacuse I'm about 30 miles from Spokane Washington.... which isn't a major city... shouldn't be a main target on a first strike basis anyway. All I need to do is pack up the Xterra and move on out.

CaryP

Supply checklist

My office looks out onto Interstate 10 in Baton Rouge, LA. The interstate headed west was a parking lot for over 2 days because of the possibility of a hurricane. The interstate was backed up all the way into Texas. My son left New Orleans on Tues. afternoon to come up to Baton Rouge, normally a 1 hr. trip. It took him 8 hrs. City streets were jammed during that time with people scurrying around "getting prepared" for the possibility of the hurricane. Made me think of this thread.

If you aren't prepared already, you're screwed in the event something happens without warning. Better have your gear and provisions ready at all times. If you live anywhere near a decent sized city, you'd better be prepared to wait out the initial exodus, or you're destined to suffer the fate of the herd - could be a bad thing.

Cary