Supply checklist

Judge Bean

Supply checklist

I just want to remind everyone about what is at stake, so that we don't get in one of those Mad Max kind of discussions, which are fueled by the excitement of personal survival. You know the kind of talk I mean; where everyone shows off his waterproof matches and Rambo knives.

What is at stake?

Those of us who are able must come between danger and those who are unable to protect or defend themselves. This is true on a purely rhetorical level, as in the discussions of the loss of our rights and our social stability, as well as on the brute, tribal level of the feared future. Our thoughts must be geared to what will secure decency and justice. Saving ourselves or our own property or rights becomes a savage act if done at the expense of others.

Just as I suspected, each of us has a group of dependents who might have no one else to safeguard them. We share this focus.

StarLord

Supply checklist

Now *There* is the crux of the matter my friend isn't it?
Mostly, none of us have the luxury to just split and hoof it alone in hopes of surviving.

Ah, but that would be all too easy and none would wish to pay the piper his due as your conscience eats your brain away till there's naught left but a coward that is very alone and the gnawing acid of having abandoned loved ones as life's blood. That is a choice I would not consider for any reason.

Then would be the time to insure that cool heads prevail, circle the wagons and hunker down. There is strength in remaining calm, cool, collected and a part of like minded numbers. You will remember that a sea anemone makes no threats nor shouts provocative dire warnings regarding harassment. Regardless, stepping on one and or invading it's tiny space is rewarded by unforseen pain and instant regret.

That supply check list MUST include your neighbors and the weak that are not able to fend for themselves that live nearby. We are all in this together for better or for worse. The more people that come together and contribute to the safety and well being of the whole, the faster that we can heal this insanity and get back to the job of living without fear and mistrust. The more people that stay and bristle a unspoken desire to survive like that small sea creature the sooner you are left alone.

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

Well said StarLord.

The goal of preparation would be to assist those who were...

a) not prepared to survive.
B) not able to survive on their own. (the weak, etc.)

However, as much as I hate to admit, if this reality rolls around, there will be many who choose to go the route of the bandit with their only goal of raping, pillaging, etc. Places of high population would become war zones, like the "frontier."

Preparation for defense must include the ability to travel and "hunker down." I am lucky because of where I live, few neighbors, and distance from a major city, but there has to be a line in the sand somewhere. Titor said it well when he spoke of people not "carrying their water."

Remember the original colonists of America, "he who doesn't work, won't eat" (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the just.) Didn't mean they ignored the person who could work... (again the weak.) Those however who didn't work or put in their fair share would be punished accordingly.

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

Handy List of Vitimins and Minerals to protect oneself during fallout and from radition efftect:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Potassium Iodide - It is only taken if there is danger of radiation exposure.Details on this are HERE

It helps protect the thyroid, but that's about it. Some states have offered PI to persons living within ten miles of nuclear plants, but people outside of that boundary also need to have PI on hand since radiation can cover wide areas depending on what happens.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Vitamin C powder
1. repairing blood capillary damage from radiation sickness
2 multi gram mega dose for anti-virus, decongesting lungs, raising urine pH for bladder infections.
3. instant cure for scurvy which seriously weakens the immune system could be a major health problem from poor diet.

Vitamin B complex (high potency)
1. Needed in times of emotional or physical stress, helps you cope.
Vitamin A (beta-carotene)
1. anti-viral especially for infections attacking through radiation damaged lungs doses of 100,000 to 150,000 iu may be need.
2. can be toxic if taken for over a weak (stores in liver): body must convert beta-carotene to A so it is safer.

Iron supplement
1. blocks radioactive iron isotopes
2. supply iron for radiation damaged bone marrow and those recovering from blood loss.

Calcium citrate
1. blocks the absorption radioactive Strontium and will flush out it out of the body.

Sodium Alginate
1. if the food you are growing (and must eat) might be contaminated by radiation, the alginate absorbs much metals and minerals so the body can excreted while you still get still get most of the value of the food.

Potassium Iodide
1. need to block possible radioactive iodine gas in fallout. (not recommended as long range Potassium supplement)

Potassium supplement
1. blocks absorption radioactive Cesium and helps flush out it out of your body. Store NoSalt salt substitute

Rutin
1. repairing blood capillary and intestinal wall damage from radiation sickness

Zinc supplements
1. necessary for healing tissue and radiation burn damage.

Judge Bean

Supply checklist

Originally posted by TheOrangeMan@Sep 18 2004, 05:01 PM
Handy List of Vitimins and Minerals to protect oneself during fallout and from radition efftect...

Don't get me wrong: this is a fine catalog of pharmaceutical detail. But aren't you missing a big piece of the future with this?

If you are seriously concerned that we are to soon face a nuclear holocaust, and place this sort of faith in Titor's story, then you certainly understand that, first, there was to be a long civil war. The expiration dates on your water purifier tablets will long pass before you even get to survive the end of the world.

The lesson is an object lesson with a moral: first things first, and the last things may not even occur.

Remember that the nuclear war takes place in Titor's tenuous narrative only after and because of the breakdown in the social order of the United States. In other words, if you would succeed in maintaining the social order, or peacefully overthrowing the government, or avoiding revolution or civil war, you would not have a nuclear war-- or it would be less certain.

The time may come for us to start mailordering our nightvision goggles and Rambo knives, but first things first. What can we do to change things peacefully and legally?

"One word of truth outweighs the whole world."

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

I do agree with what your saying. I am not a die hard believe of Titor. However this thread is a "Supply Checklist" mainly supplies to have handy during a war.

So I posted some stuff that I would have on supply during a war. You?re correct in what you?ve said? but that?s not what this thread is about.

I'm not recommending everyone go buy this... nor am I saying that there is a nuclear war, or civil war on the close horizon.

Maybe you should start a thread addressing the issues you stated. I'd be happy to discuss it with you, though me being in agreement I don't know how much of a discussion there would be. :D

Judge Bean

Supply checklist

Originally posted by TheOrangeMan@Sep 20 2004, 06:13 PM
I do agree with what your saying. I am not a die hard believe of Titor. However this thread is a \"Supply Checklist\" mainly supplies to have handy during a war.

So I posted some stuff that I would have on supply during a war. You?re correct in what you?ve said? but that?s not what this thread is about.

I'm not recommending everyone go buy this... nor am I saying that there is a nuclear on the close horizon.

Maybe you should start a thread addressing the issues you stated. I'd be happy to discuss it with you, though me being in agreement I don't know how much of a discussion there would be. :D

A nuclear holocaust is not a war. There will be no need for bike tires, or manufacturers of them, for that matter, in the aftermath; nor will there be any need for a copy of the Constitution.

I had pointed out the problems with this topic at the outset. It is possible to be dazed by the nuclear flash and not see the immediate preliminary conflict.

The government knows full well that a nuclear attack would not even be worth surviving, on the slim chance that you did; that is why they have elaborate plans for "continuity," that is, for holing up in bunkers.

The only thing about this worth discussing in my opinion is how to avoid or prevent the use of nuclear weapons. Whatever the value of Titor's prophecy, it remains true that the highest potential for their use is by terrorists. Second on the list I would place Israel; third the Pakistan/India conflict. Titor's Russia v. U.S. scenario is almost not even on the list.

What is your list of supplies in the war on complacency, corporate gangsters, and spineless "politicians?" These will be to blame for any war or holocaust, as usual.

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

I was reading the go north column, reading about what some of us have ready right now. I would like to hear more and wanted to start this to throw out some suggestions. I am sure that everyone here has at least one copy of the U.S. constitution.

If you read the first post you see Lone wolf wanted to know what everyone had ready, more in detail from the go north post. Being ready for anything is never a wrong idea.

This thread is about that. It's about Supply Checklists and such... hence the title.

This is not a thread of how to avoid war, civil, nuclear, or otherwise, it's a supply checklist thread, I posted so supplies that have been recommended from anyone. The list of vitamins and supplements are particularly effective in fallout situations, but all experts agree what really saves someone is exposure time and distance. This list won?t save anyone. :D

The only thing about this worth discussing in my opinion is how to avoid or prevent the use of nuclear weapons. Whatever the value of Titor's prophecy, it remains true that the highest potential for their use is by terrorists. Second on the list I would place Israel; third the Pakistan/India conflict. Titor's Russia v. U.S. scenario is almost not even on the list.

What is your list of supplies in the war on complacency, corporate gangsters, and spineless \"politicians?\" These will be to blame for any war or holocaust, as usual.

This is your opinion... fine. So open up a discussion about everyone?s list of supplies in a war on complacency, corporate gangsters, and corporate gangsters, and spineless politicians, the purpose of this thread was not addressing those types of "supplies." Let's start a thread; I'd love to have this discussion in another thread that addresses what you mentioned.

Judge Bean

Supply checklist

Originally posted by Lonewolf@Aug 13 2004, 09:55 AM
I was reading the go north column, reading about what some of us have ready right now.
I would like to hear more and wanted to start this to throw out some suggestions. My main one right now is for everyone to look into recumbant bikes. Regular bikes aren't bad, but if you want to ride all day long, recumbants are better for carrying things, and for overall body support.
I am sure that everyone here has at least one copy of the U.S. constitution.

You left the part out about the bikes, and that's the part that struck me as most significant. The idea, apparently, is that there would be a society of survivors pedaling around in the debris on recumbent bicycles.

My point is that Titor may have been talking about a time an entire generation removed from the nuclear holocaust when he's talking about the bike tires and copies of the Constitution.

The government (FEMA) has suggested that, in the event of a nuclear attack, Americans should remove themselves in an orderly fashion to designated small towns, taking care to leave change of address forms at the local post office in the evacuated area. The other recommendation is to "dig a hole and throw a couple of doors over the top." Meanwhile, arrangements have been made to relocate the entire government to underground bunkers.

They know what we pretend not to, or prefer not to know: that an exchange of modern nuclear weapons is the end of humanity. In fact, this is one of the main things wrong with the Titor prophecies, and the primary reason for concluding that his tale is a hoax.

TheOrangeMan

Supply checklist

They know what we pretend not to, or prefer not to know: that an exchange of modern nuclear weapons is the end of humanity. In fact, this is one of the main things wrong with the Titor prophecies, and the primary reason for concluding that his tale is a hoax.

I do not agree it is the end of humanity. Yes, society as we know it would be destroyed. Yes, millions which did survive would be destroyed from starvation, radiation, disease, etc.

However there are people that would survive and would carve out a niche. During WW2 and the Cold War nukes were much different then the ones we have now... the new tactical nuclear weapons sported by the US and Russia are designed for minimum damage on the landscape, and maximum causality rate. It allows a force to destroy the enemy but leave enough useable land for control by the victor military.

The down side is when two countries take out each others government and infrastructure, there is no assault by ground based forces. Everything falls apart, and then you pick up the pieces and rebuild. The MAD plans of the Cold war are much different then what we see today. It's as John says... cities (infrastructure) are the targets. You destroy the infrastructure and country on it?s knees for 10-30 years as they pick up the pieces.

(I love this discussion.)