gonzogirl

Re: Terraforming

GL100 said:
It can be done.

Please refer all future inquiries to:

Mr. Slartibartfast
c/o Fjord Design Division
Planet of Magrathea

I will reserve a spot today! Meanwhile I will get him over to my place and he can "do" my back yard..........

kcwildman

Beastmaster

Harte said:
Wildman,
It works on a gas in exactly the same way it works on a liquid or a solid.

A planet with similar mass would hold an atmosphere of similar density.

This means Mars couldn't hold an atmosphere we could easily breath, but Venus certainly could if you could just reverse the greenhouse effect that has run rampant there.

Harte
so we are dealing with an atom level force here, is that right???? do we know if the pull of gravity is on the rotating electrons/protrons, or the nucleus/center of an atom????this is a hard one for me to get hold of.I-E just what the hell do it pull on to keep me stuck to the ground??? I still can't totally seperate it from magnatisim they act so similar its hard to tell how there diffrent???? I have been told by some collage geeks if you have a strong enough magnet you can pick up anything that has mass.and thats how gravity works, its just a realy strong magnet.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Magnets act only on some materials. Gravity can act on anything, including light.

That means we can't hold O2 in the atmosphere with a magnet, not ever with a "special magnet". Or can we ?
I don't think we can.

The best thing must be the Dome City on Mars, it would be pretty cool.
Now, how do we make such a dome ?

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

well thats the 64 thousand dollar question???????
when we figure out what gravity is. we can try to reproduce it. as far as I know we don't have a clue. we know what it (gravity) dose, but not what it is or how to create it.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

That's it, can we produce gravity without a black hole, or a giant spinning thing ?

kcwildman

Beastmaster

I never bought the spinning thing as a child, it made no sence at all to me.
I took a baseball dipped it in water and gave it a spin, no gravity, water went everywhere:confused:
professors can't explain that either,works for spinning earth and nothing ells:confused:
still think its connected to magnetic fields and there strength,we just don't know how to make it. yet

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Put some marbles in a plastique bag, and swing it around like a pendulum, and make full circles.
The marbles always stay at the very bottom of the bag.
That's what I was meaning.

It's useless for terraforming, yeah lol
You can see this concept in practice in the movie 2001: space odysey.

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

good point magnets don't work on glass,wood,water. but gravity do:confused:
just like Robin Leach
I don't know why:eek:

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Gravity is caused by curves in space-time.
Magnetism is caused by... well.... by it's effect on different materials.

kcwildman

Beastmaster

Numenorean7 said:
Gravity is caused by curves in space-time.
Magnetism is caused by... well.... by it's effect on different materials.

:confused: you lost me there 7
never heard that befor, was always told that mag. was result of alignment of molicules within a metal object. that much we can reproduce, thats how industry makes mags. for speakers and such.