The 2% Solution

Judge Bean

The 2% Solution

The 2% Solution.

Titor is his own worst prophecy; he is himself the Waco-type event, the herald of the Day of Judgment?and he desperately struggles to claim his own existence in the face of the 2% margin that calls for his annihilation. As we speak, he may have ceased to exist, and will never be born. That?s just the way things are.

He proposes that there is an approximate 2% variation between his own and our timeline; that some things, notably a skyscraper that "don't" [sic] exist, are different and that all things are slightly different. His trip to the past has made a different future.

I will take the Titor 2% only as a rule of thumb, without meaning to grant him special legitimacy. The 2% makes sense and is consistent with the only logical explanation of time travel: the only way around the primary paradoxes that I can conceive is one in which alternate futures are available for every passage to the past.

The 2% balloons to nearly 100% as the possible variation range for each individual?s existence if the move is to a point in time prior to the individual?s conception. In other words, to travel to a point in time before your own conception practically guarantees that you will never be born.

There is only half a chance that, even if a child is born to your parents on your birthday, the infant will be the same sex as you; the odds of them having you ?again? are miniscule in its favor. It may be that there will be a baby born who is your virtual twin and born on the same day and hour; but these facts having reached an incredible level of coincidence already, it is unlikely that the precise genetic arrangement was reached in all respects.

In other words, you are not likely to be born again even if almost all of the circumstances of your conception are duplicated.

What happens if the trip to the past lands you within your lifetime?

Most probably, a reversion to the recent past would pose the problem of matter having to be in two places simultaneously, which is impossible; and matter cannot be conjured from nothingness or absolutely replicated. The safest tactic would be to travel to a point far enough in the past to avoid requiring the molecules constituting your vital organs to have to choose between locations.

There is a schedule according to which most or all of the actual matter in your body is recycled into the world, and it would be safest to revisit yourself decades before you grew up or received artificial molars. The acquisition of semipermanent cellular material, as in bone, calls for caution, and probably for time travelers above the age of 20 or 25, if these are meant to travel within their own lifetimes, and to travel no closer back than 15 or 20 years.

While this comports with the Titor narrative, in which he visits his toddler self, it also demonstrates the subtle desperation of his ?mission,? and why it must have personal and official portions: for if he does indeed pass to the 1970s to complete the official part, he will have obliterated his own existence in the new future he has created for himself. He will have only the memory of a life, and there will be no record of it; he may experience some amnesia. So he must visit himself one last time.

The 2% operates in society to cause specific drastic modifications within a context of overall and general familiarity. This is because some individuals have dramatic effect, and influence others, and are missing in alternate futures posed by time travel to points before their births. Even in proposed futures in which influential persons are already born, they may be obscured or their actions suppressed by otherwise altered circumstances.

The great ethical questions raised by time travel are therefore for the most part moot: if you want to stop Hitler, you simply travel to the past before his conception. The dangerous social conditions in Germany in the 1920s and 30s are left to resolve themselves along other lines, and it will be noticed that there will probably be no Nazis whatsoever. On the other hand, the U.S. or Russia might find itself open to a persuasive tyrant who imposes a military regime and wages a genocide campaign against those in their midst of Jewish, African, or Asian ancestry.

The only presumptions of engineered history are known evils.

The value of time travel is its simple, unobtrusive, passive alteration of dire fate; it is an ultimate human accomplishment, to be likened to an achieved immortality, to have snubbed fate, and we should tread lightly when we want to conclude that time travel is unlikely or impossible. Given the pattern of human desire and invention, it should surprise no one to learn that science will stretch the human lifespan to 150 or 200 years; that it will eradicate all disease; that it will allow travel to other planets and encounter alien life; and that it will find a way to revisit the past to alter the future.

StarLord

The 2% Solution

THAT presents a very good conundrum. Is the age old theory regarding "No two things can occupy the same space at the same time" valid when it comes to the very same 'person' being here at the same time but seperated by a chronological rift?

I always wondered, if you come upon your younger or older self, would there be a quantum reaction whereby both bodies attract each other and strive to stabalize in the present now?

Judge Bean

The 2% Solution

Trying to split atoms in this way would probably be a gory spectacle.

StarLord

The 2% Solution

Yes and brings new light to the matter of 'Getting Ahold Of Yourself'.
Maybe this would explain spontaneous combustion.

CaryP

The 2% Solution

Great post Paul. I'm still trying to wrap my pea brain around it, but it made great "sense."

Cary

Chromium

The 2% Solution

Originally posted by StarLord@Sep 29 2004, 10:04 PM
Yes and brings new light to the matter of 'Getting Ahold Of Yourself'.
Maybe this would explain spontaneous combustion.

Haha!! What a great idea!

Loomed

The 2% Solution

Hello everyone, I joined the forums a few weeks ago, and have been reading your threads off and on while at work. I find all of you very interesting and knowledgable. The story of John Titor led me to these forums.

Now, on the topic...If multiple universe theory is correct, then that should explain how that is technically possible. Matter from a different universe even if it is only a 0.000004% divergence is still not the same matter. It might look, feel, and smell the exact same, but they originated in different universes. Say I travel back 20 years with a 3% divergance. Whatever I might do here will not affect anything in my home universe. I can kill off my family tree in this universe and I will not vanish because I came from my parents in my home universe.

On the other hand, I have another thought in my head, but it's very hard for me to put into words. This is what makes me not believe in the Titor story. According to JT, there are infinite worldlines. So, there were an infinite amount of John Titors travelling back in time all to different worldlines than their own. One of them (since there are an infinite amount) has to wind up in his original worldline and talk to him as a toddler. On the same note, John let some people write an email to themselves in 1998. An infinite amount of Johns went back to 1998 and sent emails to all the addresses given to him on the forums. One of those infinites had to wind up in our 1998 and send the emails.

I don't know if any of that paragraph made sense, but it was worth a try.

erikstalhammar

The 2% Solution

Originally posted by Loomed@Oct 2 2004, 09:06 PM
Hello everyone, I joined the forums a few weeks ago, and have been reading your threads off and on while at work. I find all of you very interesting and knowledgable. The story of John Titor led me to these forums.

Now, on the topic...If multiple universe theory is correct, then that should explain how that is technically possible. Matter from a different universe even if it is only a 0.000004% divergence is still not the same matter. It might look, feel, and smell the exact same, but they originated in different universes. Say I travel back 20 years with a 3% divergance. Whatever I might do here will not affect anything in my home universe. I can kill off my family tree in this universe and I will not vanish because I came from my parents in my home universe.

On the other hand, I have another thought in my head, but it's very hard for me to put into words. This is what makes me not believe in the Titor story. According to JT, there are infinite worldlines. So, there were an infinite amount of John Titors travelling back in time all to different worldlines than their own. One of them (since there are an infinite amount) has to wind up in his original worldline and talk to him as a toddler. On the same note, John let some people write an email to themselves in 1998. An infinite amount of Johns went back to 1998 and sent emails to all the addresses given to him on the forums. One of those infinites had to wind up in our 1998 and send the emails.

I don't know if any of that paragraph made sense, but it was worth a try.

good point :) and so if it was all true he would not have ended up where he first started anyways.. just uin a place where nobody would know of him or to know him as a tt

lev

The 2% Solution

Originally posted by Loomed@Oct 3 2004, 03:06 AM
Now, on the topic...If multiple universe theory is correct, then that should explain how that is technically possible.? Matter from a different universe even if it is only a 0.000004% divergence is still not the same matter.? It might look, feel, and smell the exact same, but they originated in different universes.? Say I travel back 20 years with a 3% divergance.? Whatever I might do here will not affect anything in my home universe.? I can kill off my family tree in this universe and I will not vanish because I came from my parents in my home universe.

::.. Actually, you seem to have a good grasp of what Boomer was trying to convey :: The other posters should re-read Boomer's posts regarding his explanations of the multiple worldline theory as well as why there were no paradox issues during his trips ..::

Judge Bean

The 2% Solution

Originally posted by lev+Oct 3 2004, 09:56 PM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Loomed@Oct 3 2004, 03:06 AM
Now, on the topic...If multiple universe theory is correct, then that should explain how that is technically possible.? Matter from a different universe even if it is only a 0.000004% divergence is still not the same matter.? It might look, feel, and smell the exact same, but they originated in different universes.? Say I travel back 20 years with a 3% divergance.? Whatever I might do here will not affect anything in my home universe.? I can kill off my family tree in this universe and I will not vanish because I came from my parents in my home universe.

::.. Actually, you seem to have a good grasp of what Boomer was trying to convey :: The other posters should re-read Boomer's posts regarding his explanations of the multiple worldline theory as well as why there were no paradox issues during his trips ..::
[/b][/quote]

He is not the supreme authority on the physics involved, even if he is telling the truth about them, which is doubtful; nor is he to be believed when he says that he is a time traveler.

There is very little difference, and the difference would be easily lost in the retelling, between infinite parallel universes and potentially infinite universes. In other words, it may be that actual state of the universe is, in terms of its alleged mass, mostly hypothetical. This would fit with the current conundrum in which it is claimed that 90% of the mass in the universe is "dark matter," that is, nonexistent by our means of observation or measurement.

If the "parallel" universes are available but nonexistent yet, this would propose a universe splitting off from the hub of the present moment into an array of radii only a few of which would ever actually be used-- by anyone or anything actually traversing the splay.

It also explains why the night sky is not filled with solid light from an infinite display of starlight.