The Culture Of Bullying: The Loss of Civility at School, Work, Politics

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Any and all kinds of Bullying is just wrong.

titorite

What some call bullying I call BS.

I was watching dr phil the other week... Their were some girls on the show and the subject was bullying... Well as it turns out the alleged victim was a much bigger bully than the alleged bully... but it was the alleged bully that got the blunt end of everything... What had she done that was so horrible? Some word play that equated a very mild and lame insult. I mean it was the kind of insult that makes the insulted look foolish. Weak sauce.

In revenge this victim had this chic harassed at school at home... on a national level on TV... and I watched and thought.. jesus christ ..... Maybe the insult was well deserved and more....

Bullying is a problem. I know first hand because I dropped out of school over it. I too got in trouble for being bullied. Victimised twice over.... In our zeal to stamp out bullying it is important to not go over the top looking for bullys to stop and victims to comfort. Important to see things for what they are.

Himalayan Hermit

It's a sad thing to happen and I think every age has had this issue. In current time and age when our children are TOO stressed about peer pressure and their outer appearance, bullying itself has taken a new role. I remember when I was a kid in 80s, I too was picked on by others as I was small and shy. But then I had an elder brother in the same school who was also a body-builder, after which everyone treated me like a King :D. Having gone through it personally, it indeed is a bad thing and has resulted in even suicides among children. It is the duty of parents, school and everyone else to make sure this evil thing is kept under check

JTFriend

It's a sad thing to happen and I think every age has had this issue. In current time and age when our children are TOO stressed about peer pressure and their outer appearance, bullying itself has taken a new role. I remember when I was a kid in 80s, I too was picked on by others as I was small and shy. But then I had an elder brother in the same school who was also a body-builder, after which everyone treated me like a King :D. Having gone through it personally, it indeed is a bad thing and has resulted in even suicides among children. It is the duty of parents, school and everyone else to make sure this evil thing is kept under check

I was never bullied growing up. America has totally changed since I was a kid; I think a lot of it has to do with the "self esteem" movement the Generation Y and Millenials were raised with. When I was growing up, if you didn't excel at something, no one cared. You could participate or not-- it was entirely up to you. There is also too much emphasis on differences- women versus men, gay versus straight, black versus white, etc. People need to get back to focussing on being themselves and not worrying about what others are doing or look like. The self conscious focus on differences and looks (likely fueled by the Internet) is ruining America.

This clip from Ferris Bueller shows the culture I was raised with. A movie about a white kid who likes to skip school......