The Enfield Poltergeist Case

Carl Miller

I have often wondered why the most reliable Poltergeist case ever. Must see!! The best documented poltergeist case in the history of Society for Psychical Research (SPR) in London.
Still we can hardly see any reference to this -without absolutely no shadow of a doubt-case.
If you haven't seen anything concerning this case, it's best you do some research and get ready to leave all your prejudices about Poltergeists behind.
Yet i do not like to go about the bush on the same thing- but i still DO NOT KNOW why verified cases just like EVP -LABORATORIO by Marcello Bacci from Italy, The Scole Experiment and the mind blowing evidences from Enfield Poltergeist which defies all kinds of debunking are still disregarded as having never happened.
A case in a word, dimissed by Professional magicians as not belonging to magic tricks.
See yourself some episodes stemming from The Enfield Poltergeist=

The day a poltergeist attacked me: Skeptical about the supernatural? So was the Mail's MICHAEL HELLICAR - until he saw events so chilling they still haunt him to this day

• Journalist Hellicar was sent to report on the 'Enfield Poltergeist' in 1977

• Presence first made itself known after two girls played with a ouija board

• Over the summer, some 30 people witnessed the ghostly goings-on

• Story to be told in series starring Timothy Spall and Matthew Macfadyen
By Michael Hellicar for the Daily Mail

Published: 23:23 GMT, 23 April 2015 | Updated: 12:24 GMT, 24 April 2015

The first sign that something was amiss came when the children’s Lego bricks were hurled at me by an unseen hand. The next came a few minutes later, when a heavy kitchen cabinet crashed to the floor at my feet. Yet I had been alone in the room — or so I thought.

Scariest of all, though, was the very palpable atmosphere of fear. A malevolent spirit seemed to have taken up residence, moving the furniture, emptying drawers, sprinkling water, lighting matches and causing general mayhem, forcing the terrified Hodgson family who lived there to huddle together in dread.

It seemed to centre its attention on 11-year-old Janet, who was levitated above her bed, sent into violent trances and made to speak in a rasping male voice. Many of the 1,500 psychic occurrences there were not only independently witnessed but are verified by investigators’ photographs and audio tape.

Scroll down for video

upload_2017-1-18_13-50-4.jpeg

upload_2017-1-18_13-50-4.png

The Enfield Poltergeist terrified the Hodgson family - including Janet, 11, pictured here flying through the air, and her sister Margaret, right - and at least 30 witnesses during the summer of 1977

No wonder the Hodgsons’ unremarkable council semi in Green Street, Enfield, North London, became notorious as the most haunted house in Britain. The story is being told in a three-part drama which starts on TV next month. Timothy Spall and Matthew Macfadyen play psychic researchers called in to investigate the haunting, and Janet is portrayed by 13-year-old Eleanor Worthington-Cox, who won an Olivier Award for best actress in the title role of Matilda in London’s West End.

It is creepy stuff, with moody music, special effects, dramatic acting, emotionally-charged dialogue and skilful editing; a mix that will ensure viewers go to bed afterwards — if they dare — with goosebumps.

However, for all the technical trickery and artistic licence, it is nowhere near as horrifying, nor as mystifying, as the real events on which the story is based.

I know, because as a newspaper reporter sent to write about the hauntings, I witnessed many of them first-hand as they unfolded 38 years ago in the summer of 1977. So did some 30 other people including police officers, neighbours, other journalists and BBC staff and even passers-by.

Share this article

The Enfield Poltergeist, as the ghostly visitor became known, first made its presence felt soon after Janet and her older sister Margaret, 12, played with a ouija board.

‘The girls were changing into their nightclothes and complained something was making their beds wobble,’ their mother Peggy (played on screen by Rosie Cavaliero) explained to me after the haunting began. ‘I told them to stop messing about.

‘The next night, I heard screaming and banging coming from their room after they had gone to bed. When I went in, a heavy chest of drawers was sliding by itself across the floor, trying to block the doorway. The girls were terrified.

‘I pushed the chest back against the wall, but it slid towards me again. I tried, but I couldn’t stop it. I wondered if my two younger boys [Johnny, 10, and Billy, seven] were playing pranks, because they also slept upstairs, but they weren’t anywhere near the room.’

Over the next few weeks more furniture moved of its own accord; plates, cutlery, toys and books would go flying, and one night things were so bad Peggy called the police, who arrived to see a sitting-room chair lift off the carpet and move towards them.

One of the officers, WPC Carolyn Heeps, later reported: ‘It came to rest after about 4ft. I checked it for hidden wires or any other means by which it could have moved, but there was nothing to explain it.’

upload_2017-1-18_13-50-4.jpeg

The malevolent presence seemed to particularly focus on Janet, pictured here in the bathroom

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3053204/Enfield-Poltergeist-MICHAEL-HELLICAR-believe-supernatural.html#ixzz3wjrgTCcZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

In desperation, the family called in the scientifically respected Society for Psychical Research, who sent two members, Guy Lyon Playfair, the Cambridge-educated author of several books about psychic phenomena, and businessman Maurice Grosse to investigate.

Playfair, portrayed in TV’s dramatised version by Matthew Macfadyen, said: ‘I went in a few weeks after the trouble started. I had an open mind, and looked for a logical explanation. I soon found there wasn’t one.’

His first experience of the Enfield Poltergeist was when a marble appeared from nowhere and dropped like a stone at his feet on the lino floor. Over the next 14 months he would visit the house on almost 120 occasions — sometimes the ghost would be quiet, but on many others it would be running rampant.

On my first visit, it was as if the Lego throwing was an initiation — a newspaper photographer, Graham Morris, had already had a block hurled at him. Even more puzzling, the blocks were hot. And when I checked the wall fixings of the cabinet that had fallen to the floor, the screws were still in place. Janet was dismissive when I told her what happened. ‘Oh, that’s not unusual,’ she said. ‘What’s really annoying is when it pulls out all the drawers and leaves everything on the floor.’

The episode is now being made into a television series for Sky Living, with Timothy Spall playing paranormal investigator Maurice Grosse

On subsequent visits I experienced cold draughts, graffiti, water puddles appearing from nowhere, bad smells, and chairs and tables moving of their own accord. Other witnesses reported physical assaults, matches bursting into flame and fleeting glimpses of different apparitions, including an old woman and a man.

Spookiest of all, an imprint of a body would be found on one of the beds, as if someone had been sleeping there. Peggy would straighten the sheets, only to find the shape back again later.

On another night when the family were together in the sitting room with me, there was a slow rapping coming from Janet and Margaret’s bedroom, directly above. We dashed upstairs, but no one was there.

A few nights later, Guy Playfair heard ‘a tremendous vibrating noise’ coming from the same empty room. ‘It was as if someone was drilling a great big hole,’ he reported. He went in to find the fireplace torn out from the wall, where it had been cemented in. ‘It was one of those old Victorian cast iron fires that must have weighed 60lb. The children couldn’t have ripped it out of the wall, but in any case they weren’t there.’

On another occasion, with all the children in bed, the other SPR investigator, Maurice Grosse (portrayed by Timothy Spall in the TV drama), was downstairs compiling notes when he heard Janet screaming. He ran to see her being dragged out of her room by an unseen force. She was then hauled down the stairs and dumped at his feet.

Like so many of the ghostly incidents, it was recorded on audio tape, and some were caught by a remote camera set up by Graham Morris.

Not that the Enfield Poltergeist made it easy — Morris would set up his expensive equipment with flash guns powered by freshly charged batteries, only to find them quickly draining. Tape-recording was often difficult, too — a BBC team’s state-of-the-art machine, which worked perfectly outside the house, would sometimes inexplicably jam once inside.

Pictures show Janet being levitated off the bed, curtains twisting themselves into a spiral, pillows being thrown, sheets being pulled off the sleeping children. When I asked Janet if she realised she had been whirled across the room in her sleep, she said she had somehow drifted through the wall into the house next door.

‘I can tell you exactly what I saw,’ she said and described where various objects were situated. I checked with the neighbours, Vic and Peggy Nottingham, who confirmed everything in their bedroom was placed just as Janet had told me.

The Enfield Poltergeist, as the ghostly visitor became known, first made its presence felt soon after Janet and her older sister Margaret, 12, played with a ouija board

Another time, two passers-by, a lollipop lady and a baker, looked up at the house and through a first-floor window saw Janet spinning around and bumping against the glass. A cushion also seemed to materialise on the roof.

But everything took a serious turn when Janet began to lapse into violent trances, swearing and hurling insults in disembodied voices quite unlike her own.

‘This thing never seemed to know who it was,’ Playfair said. ‘It would claim to be all different people, speaking in many different voices, and much of what it said through her was nonsense. It was as if Janet was being taken over.’

But one night an eerie message — captured on tape — came out of Janet’s mouth loud and clear, and what it said sent a chill through all of us. ‘My name is Bill,’ rasped a voice. ‘Just before I died, I went blind and then I had a haemorrhage and I fell asleep and died in the chair in the corner downstairs.’

None of this meant anything to the Hodgson family or their neighbours. But when the tape was played on the radio, a man got in touch to say he recognised his father’s voice. ‘His name was Bill Wilkins,’ he said, confirming his father had lived at the Hodgsons’ house many years earlier — before Janet was born — and he had died exactly as he had described.

The Hodgson house had a very strange atmosphere whether Janet was there or not. I always felt as if we were being watched by a malignant spirit.

Playfair, 80, wrote a book about the Enfield Poltergeist — This House Is Haunted — which became a bestseller. The new drama is based on it and sticks to the basic story, but inevitably ramps up tension — Playfair says a few psychic scenes didn’t happen but were written in by the TV people.

Maurice Grosse, who died in 2006, had only become interested in the paranormal the previous year, after his journalist daughter — also called Janet — had been killed in a motor cycle accident and the family began to experience psychic happenings.

He was convinced she was trying to send messages from beyond the grave to him and his wife Betty (played in the TV series by Truly, Madly, Deeply star Juliet Stevenson).

Grosse and Playfair came to believe it wasn’t so much Peggy Hodgson’s house that was haunted, but Janet herself, and to a much lesser extent, her older sister Margaret. Indeed, one night we had all gone out to visit Janet’s uncle, a few doors away, and the ghostly tricks continued there. ‘This is person-centred,’ Playfair told me. ‘It doesn’t stay in the house, but follows Janet around.’

For myself, I wasn’t so sure. The Hodgson house had a very strange atmosphere whether Janet was there or not. I always felt as if we were being watched by a malignant spirit.

It was never comfortable for me — especially after I discovered the corner where Bill Wilkins died was where I invariably sat! I was worried, too, that the poltergeist might attach itself to me, just as it apparently had to Janet.

I had a young family; what if it left the Hodgsons alone and took up residence in my house? So even after all these years I understood Spall’s concern when he was asked to play Grosse.

‘It frightened the life out of me’, he admits. ‘I’m scared of anything like that in case it leads to me being haunted. I didn’t want to wake up at night with the doors opening and shutting.’

He asked Playfair if he was ever worried ‘there would be demons sitting on your bed or something.’ Playfair replied: ‘Oh no, I made a nice cup of tea and went to sleep.’

Inevitably, there were accusations that the Hodgson family were staging an elaborate hoax, and Playfair and Grosse were dismissed as gullible.

Janet admitted in a TV interview in 1980 that she and her siblings had tried to fake some happenings — ‘about two per cent’ — because they felt under pressure when so many visitors came to the house expecting to see something ghostly on demand.

We caught them each time because we were watching for trickery,’ says Playfair. ‘They would try to bend spoons, like Uri Geller. They tried to hide my tape recorder so I would think the poltergeist had moved it. But they didn’t realise it was switched on, so I heard every word of their plot!

‘But too many other things happened that could not be faked. Usually there were too many witnesses. What about all the things that happened in empty rooms, when the kids were somewhere else?

‘What about all the things I saw and heard? And the police officers? Children couldn’t have fooled so many people, all of whom wanted to find a rational, earthly explanation for what was happening.’

To all those who say the poltergeist must have been a hoax I say this: I was there and you weren’t. I investigated everything at first hand and you didn’t. I know what I saw and heard.

Investigator Guy Lyon Playfair

As for the cacophony of voices coming out of Janet’s mouth, the psychic investigators devised their own test. With Janet and her mother’s agreement, the girl’s mouth was filled with water before being taped up to prevent her speaking. Yet the voices still came out. And afterwards, all the water was still in her mouth.

Maurice Grosse offered £1,000 (£6,500 today) to anyone who could replicate the voices by ventriloquism or any other form of trickery, but no one took up his challenge.

Finally, Playfair invited two psychic medium friends to see what they could make of the hauntings.

‘They came to the house and almost immediately made contact with the poltergeist,’ says Playfair. ‘It took them 15 minutes of talking to him calmly, and the effect was remarkable. The nastiness died down at once and Janet went to sleep for 14 hours — the first uninterrupted sleep she’d had in nearly two years. After that, there was very little trouble.’

Life at the house in Green Street returned to normal for the Hodgsons. Peggy, who had refused to move, even when things got so bad that the family would huddle together in fear, remained there until she died from breast cancer in 2003.

Janet left home at 16, married and moved to Essex. She prefers to stay out of the limelight, saying she doesn’t want to rake up those traumatic events. ‘I’m still in touch with her,’ says Playfair, ‘but I respect that she doesn’t want any more fuss.’

Inevitably, the TV drama will bring out the disbelievers. ‘To all those who say the poltergeist must have been a hoax I say this,’ says Playfair.

‘I was there and you weren’t. I investigated everything at first hand and you didn’t. I know what I saw and heard.’

So do I — and that’s why I slept with the lights on for weeks afterwards.

• The Enfield Haunting begins on Sky Living on Sunday May 3 at 9pm.

A CASE WHICH STARTED WITH OUIJA BOARD PLAYING...

Last edited:

TimeFlipper

Good posting Carl, im looking forward to May 3 and seeing the TV presentation of the Enfield Hauntings :eek: :D..
There are explanations of Poltergeists being caused by girls who are in the beginning stages of puberty...During that phase the whole of the girls body and mind is thrown into disarray, and their mind can "create" the poltergeists angry behaviour of throwing things about ..(Monsters from the "ID", which is the unconscious aggressive, sexually and repressed memories area of the mind held in check by the super-ego, termed by Sigmund Freud 1923)

It would likely have been Margaret, the older of the two sisters, who started off this phase when she was 12 years old, approaching puberty, and deep down she could have resented her sister Janet for several reasons (jealousy and resentment for example) which added to the intensity of those things happening...In this case its not likely that a Ouija Board would have been responsible, and maybe that would have been added to create a more sinister and dramatic storyline...

Last edited:

Carl Miller

It is common knowledge, TimeFipper, that behind Psychokinetic activities there is almost Always a preteen girl or boy for the motives you presented so properly.
Freud lived during the victorian age and most of his concepts and even the basics of his thoughts corresponded to the conflicts between the ardent instinctive nature of ID and the Superego_a type of superconscience - what would be convenient for someone living under the societal rules- including the relevant role the repression play on the part of a censorship-something that affects the individual outwards-one knows how one must obey the rules, and also a self imposed censorship- product of the religious education, for instance.
The girl in the story did not seem to have the above mentioned sexual conflicts. She had Always been an extrovert personality. Obviously an introvert would be more likely to show the symptons of emotional repression. As in the movie- 'CARRIE...'
Anyway the turmoil produced by the hormonal impact is quite significant in the early stages of puberty as you mentioned and this component may be an important factoid in igniting the phenomena.
There is also the spiritual content involved in this episode. It may have represented the most relevant role in this dramatic story.

The financial situation of the Family, the mother struggling to educate her kids and providing the means of survival during a hard phase of poverty and need.
The hard social drama, the suffering for having been abandoned by her husband. And just because of that, the sexual , emotional and social component on the part of the mother. Humiliation.
All the latter and much more provided the perfect framework into which the spiritual part of the story, which is of a capital importance, comes into the drama.
I think we must not forget the spiritual side of the story into which the will to manifest on the part of the malignant entity plays an important part regarding the whole drama.
And the spirit part inserts itself , takes advantage of the situation of conflict and despair (the fertile ground prepared for sowing the seeds of confusion). It is a heartbreaking story.

Last edited:

TimeFlipper

Excellent posting Carl (y)
I quoted Freud to explain the origin of the id and the term i used, Monsters from the id came from the superb movie, The Forbidden Planet 1956, which was at least 10 years ahead of its time in Sci-Fi genre plus colour and wide-screen production :)..
I was trying to remove the malignant entity which i believed was introduced into the story to create sensationalism and therefore sell many more newspapers into the process :D

Carl Miller

;):LOL:Yes, i see. But understand, TimeFlipper, that a bit of sensacionalism in introducing a 'malignant entity' will draw more attention and unconsciously the human being likes to be freaked out.
It is also interesting that the opposite tendency have appeared lately.
While there had been an almost complete credulity, today the trend is using the objective mind, the intellect to dismiss all phenomena as a product of the mind.
Of course that the Psychokinetic Phenomena can not be dismissed so easily for the fact that the evidences shown can be concrete. For instance, the SPR, believed there had been PK phenomena in Enfield Case, it came to admit that the medium could in fact bend metal spoons as Uri GELLER. But SPR showed reluctance in accepting the sensacionalist part that i jumped into stating to be true. Product of the mind, or ignited by spiritual influence the girl HAD flown across the room. That is the harder part to be accepted. There must have been a vídeo somewhere, but as the vídeo revealed strong graphic contents 'the authorities' only allowed the pictures of the levitation.
In my opinion the real footage, the video cause it was captured by a camera that stayed on through the day and night filming the levitations.
This vídeo is hidden inside a secret drawer in SPR.

Wind7

Staff
I have often wondered why the most reliable Poltergeist case ever. Must see!! The best documented poltergeist case in the history of Society for Psychical Research (SPR) in London.
Still we can hardly see any reference to this -without absolutely no shadow of a doubt-case.
If you haven't seen anything concerning this case, it's best you do some research and get ready to leave all your prejudices about Poltergeists behind.
Yet i do not like to go about the bush on the same thing- but i still DO NOT KNOW why verified cases just like EVP -LABORATORIO by Marcello Bacci from Italy, The Scole Experiment and the mind blowing evidences from Enfield Poltergeist which defies all kinds of debunking are still disregarded as having never happened.
A case in a word, dimissed by Professional magicians as not belonging to magic tricks.
See yourself some episodes stemming from The Enfield Poltergeist=

The day a poltergeist attacked me: Skeptical about the supernatural? So was the Mail's MICHAEL HELLICAR - until he saw events so chilling they still haunt him to this day

• Journalist Hellicar was sent to report on the 'Enfield Poltergeist' in 1977

• Presence first made itself known after two girls played with a ouija board

• Over the summer, some 30 people witnessed the ghostly goings-on

• Story to be told in series starring Timothy Spall and Matthew Macfadyen
By Michael Hellicar for the Daily Mail

Published: 23:23 GMT, 23 April 2015 | Updated: 12:24 GMT, 24 April 2015

The first sign that something was amiss came when the children’s Lego bricks were hurled at me by an unseen hand. The next came a few minutes later, when a heavy kitchen cabinet crashed to the floor at my feet. Yet I had been alone in the room — or so I thought.

Scariest of all, though, was the very palpable atmosphere of fear. A malevolent spirit seemed to have taken up residence, moving the furniture, emptying drawers, sprinkling water, lighting matches and causing general mayhem, forcing the terrified Hodgson family who lived there to huddle together in dread.

It seemed to centre its attention on 11-year-old Janet, who was levitated above her bed, sent into violent trances and made to speak in a rasping male voice. Many of the 1,500 psychic occurrences there were not only independently witnessed but are verified by investigators’ photographs and audio tape.

Scroll down for video

View attachment 5947

View attachment 5945

The Enfield Poltergeist terrified the Hodgson family - including Janet, 11, pictured here flying through the air, and her sister Margaret, right - and at least 30 witnesses during the summer of 1977

No wonder the Hodgsons’ unremarkable council semi in Green Street, Enfield, North London, became notorious as the most haunted house in Britain. The story is being told in a three-part drama which starts on TV next month. Timothy Spall and Matthew Macfadyen play psychic researchers called in to investigate the haunting, and Janet is portrayed by 13-year-old Eleanor Worthington-Cox, who won an Olivier Award for best actress in the title role of Matilda in London’s West End.

It is creepy stuff, with moody music, special effects, dramatic acting, emotionally-charged dialogue and skilful editing; a mix that will ensure viewers go to bed afterwards — if they dare — with goosebumps.

However, for all the technical trickery and artistic licence, it is nowhere near as horrifying, nor as mystifying, as the real events on which the story is based.

I know, because as a newspaper reporter sent to write about the hauntings, I witnessed many of them first-hand as they unfolded 38 years ago in the summer of 1977. So did some 30 other people including police officers, neighbours, other journalists and BBC staff and even passers-by.

Share this article

The Enfield Poltergeist, as the ghostly visitor became known, first made its presence felt soon after Janet and her older sister Margaret, 12, played with a ouija board.

‘The girls were changing into their nightclothes and complained something was making their beds wobble,’ their mother Peggy (played on screen by Rosie Cavaliero) explained to me after the haunting began. ‘I told them to stop messing about.

‘The next night, I heard screaming and banging coming from their room after they had gone to bed. When I went in, a heavy chest of drawers was sliding by itself across the floor, trying to block the doorway. The girls were terrified.

‘I pushed the chest back against the wall, but it slid towards me again. I tried, but I couldn’t stop it. I wondered if my two younger boys [Johnny, 10, and Billy, seven] were playing pranks, because they also slept upstairs, but they weren’t anywhere near the room.’

Over the next few weeks more furniture moved of its own accord; plates, cutlery, toys and books would go flying, and one night things were so bad Peggy called the police, who arrived to see a sitting-room chair lift off the carpet and move towards them.

One of the officers, WPC Carolyn Heeps, later reported: ‘It came to rest after about 4ft. I checked it for hidden wires or any other means by which it could have moved, but there was nothing to explain it.’

View attachment 5946

The malevolent presence seemed to particularly focus on Janet, pictured here in the bathroom

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3053204/Enfield-Poltergeist-MICHAEL-HELLICAR-believe-supernatural.html#ixzz3wjrgTCcZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

In desperation, the family called in the scientifically respected Society for Psychical Research, who sent two members, Guy Lyon Playfair, the Cambridge-educated author of several books about psychic phenomena, and businessman Maurice Grosse to investigate.

Playfair, portrayed in TV’s dramatised version by Matthew Macfadyen, said: ‘I went in a few weeks after the trouble started. I had an open mind, and looked for a logical explanation. I soon found there wasn’t one.’

His first experience of the Enfield Poltergeist was when a marble appeared from nowhere and dropped like a stone at his feet on the lino floor. Over the next 14 months he would visit the house on almost 120 occasions — sometimes the ghost would be quiet, but on many others it would be running rampant.

On my first visit, it was as if the Lego throwing was an initiation — a newspaper photographer, Graham Morris, had already had a block hurled at him. Even more puzzling, the blocks were hot. And when I checked the wall fixings of the cabinet that had fallen to the floor, the screws were still in place. Janet was dismissive when I told her what happened. ‘Oh, that’s not unusual,’ she said. ‘What’s really annoying is when it pulls out all the drawers and leaves everything on the floor.’

The episode is now being made into a television series for Sky Living, with Timothy Spall playing paranormal investigator Maurice Grosse

On subsequent visits I experienced cold draughts, graffiti, water puddles appearing from nowhere, bad smells, and chairs and tables moving of their own accord. Other witnesses reported physical assaults, matches bursting into flame and fleeting glimpses of different apparitions, including an old woman and a man.

Spookiest of all, an imprint of a body would be found on one of the beds, as if someone had been sleeping there. Peggy would straighten the sheets, only to find the shape back again later.

On another night when the family were together in the sitting room with me, there was a slow rapping coming from Janet and Margaret’s bedroom, directly above. We dashed upstairs, but no one was there.

A few nights later, Guy Playfair heard ‘a tremendous vibrating noise’ coming from the same empty room. ‘It was as if someone was drilling a great big hole,’ he reported. He went in to find the fireplace torn out from the wall, where it had been cemented in. ‘It was one of those old Victorian cast iron fires that must have weighed 60lb. The children couldn’t have ripped it out of the wall, but in any case they weren’t there.’

On another occasion, with all the children in bed, the other SPR investigator, Maurice Grosse (portrayed by Timothy Spall in the TV drama), was downstairs compiling notes when he heard Janet screaming. He ran to see her being dragged out of her room by an unseen force. She was then hauled down the stairs and dumped at his feet.

Like so many of the ghostly incidents, it was recorded on audio tape, and some were caught by a remote camera set up by Graham Morris.

Not that the Enfield Poltergeist made it easy — Morris would set up his expensive equipment with flash guns powered by freshly charged batteries, only to find them quickly draining. Tape-recording was often difficult, too — a BBC team’s state-of-the-art machine, which worked perfectly outside the house, would sometimes inexplicably jam once inside.

Pictures show Janet being levitated off the bed, curtains twisting themselves into a spiral, pillows being thrown, sheets being pulled off the sleeping children. When I asked Janet if she realised she had been whirled across the room in her sleep, she said she had somehow drifted through the wall into the house next door.

‘I can tell you exactly what I saw,’ she said and described where various objects were situated. I checked with the neighbours, Vic and Peggy Nottingham, who confirmed everything in their bedroom was placed just as Janet had told me.

The Enfield Poltergeist, as the ghostly visitor became known, first made its presence felt soon after Janet and her older sister Margaret, 12, played with a ouija board

Another time, two passers-by, a lollipop lady and a baker, looked up at the house and through a first-floor window saw Janet spinning around and bumping against the glass. A cushion also seemed to materialise on the roof.

But everything took a serious turn when Janet began to lapse into violent trances, swearing and hurling insults in disembodied voices quite unlike her own.

‘This thing never seemed to know who it was,’ Playfair said. ‘It would claim to be all different people, speaking in many different voices, and much of what it said through her was nonsense. It was as if Janet was being taken over.’

But one night an eerie message — captured on tape — came out of Janet’s mouth loud and clear, and what it said sent a chill through all of us. ‘My name is Bill,’ rasped a voice. ‘Just before I died, I went blind and then I had a haemorrhage and I fell asleep and died in the chair in the corner downstairs.’

None of this meant anything to the Hodgson family or their neighbours. But when the tape was played on the radio, a man got in touch to say he recognised his father’s voice. ‘His name was Bill Wilkins,’ he said, confirming his father had lived at the Hodgsons’ house many years earlier — before Janet was born — and he had died exactly as he had described.

The Hodgson house had a very strange atmosphere whether Janet was there or not. I always felt as if we were being watched by a malignant spirit.

Playfair, 80, wrote a book about the Enfield Poltergeist — This House Is Haunted — which became a bestseller. The new drama is based on it and sticks to the basic story, but inevitably ramps up tension — Playfair says a few psychic scenes didn’t happen but were written in by the TV people.

Maurice Grosse, who died in 2006, had only become interested in the paranormal the previous year, after his journalist daughter — also called Janet — had been killed in a motor cycle accident and the family began to experience psychic happenings.

He was convinced she was trying to send messages from beyond the grave to him and his wife Betty (played in the TV series by Truly, Madly, Deeply star Juliet Stevenson).

Grosse and Playfair came to believe it wasn’t so much Peggy Hodgson’s house that was haunted, but Janet herself, and to a much lesser extent, her older sister Margaret. Indeed, one night we had all gone out to visit Janet’s uncle, a few doors away, and the ghostly tricks continued there. ‘This is person-centred,’ Playfair told me. ‘It doesn’t stay in the house, but follows Janet around.’

For myself, I wasn’t so sure. The Hodgson house had a very strange atmosphere whether Janet was there or not. I always felt as if we were being watched by a malignant spirit.

It was never comfortable for me — especially after I discovered the corner where Bill Wilkins died was where I invariably sat! I was worried, too, that the poltergeist might attach itself to me, just as it apparently had to Janet.

I had a young family; what if it left the Hodgsons alone and took up residence in my house? So even after all these years I understood Spall’s concern when he was asked to play Grosse.

‘It frightened the life out of me’, he admits. ‘I’m scared of anything like that in case it leads to me being haunted. I didn’t want to wake up at night with the doors opening and shutting.’

He asked Playfair if he was ever worried ‘there would be demons sitting on your bed or something.’ Playfair replied: ‘Oh no, I made a nice cup of tea and went to sleep.’

Inevitably, there were accusations that the Hodgson family were staging an elaborate hoax, and Playfair and Grosse were dismissed as gullible.

Janet admitted in a TV interview in 1980 that she and her siblings had tried to fake some happenings — ‘about two per cent’ — because they felt under pressure when so many visitors came to the house expecting to see something ghostly on demand.

We caught them each time because we were watching for trickery,’ says Playfair. ‘They would try to bend spoons, like Uri Geller. They tried to hide my tape recorder so I would think the poltergeist had moved it. But they didn’t realise it was switched on, so I heard every word of their plot!

‘But too many other things happened that could not be faked. Usually there were too many witnesses. What about all the things that happened in empty rooms, when the kids were somewhere else?

‘What about all the things I saw and heard? And the police officers? Children couldn’t have fooled so many people, all of whom wanted to find a rational, earthly explanation for what was happening.’

To all those who say the poltergeist must have been a hoax I say this: I was there and you weren’t. I investigated everything at first hand and you didn’t. I know what I saw and heard.

Investigator Guy Lyon Playfair

As for the cacophony of voices coming out of Janet’s mouth, the psychic investigators devised their own test. With Janet and her mother’s agreement, the girl’s mouth was filled with water before being taped up to prevent her speaking. Yet the voices still came out. And afterwards, all the water was still in her mouth.

Maurice Grosse offered £1,000 (£6,500 today) to anyone who could replicate the voices by ventriloquism or any other form of trickery, but no one took up his challenge.

Finally, Playfair invited two psychic medium friends to see what they could make of the hauntings.

‘They came to the house and almost immediately made contact with the poltergeist,’ says Playfair. ‘It took them 15 minutes of talking to him calmly, and the effect was remarkable. The nastiness died down at once and Janet went to sleep for 14 hours — the first uninterrupted sleep she’d had in nearly two years. After that, there was very little trouble.’

Life at the house in Green Street returned to normal for the Hodgsons. Peggy, who had refused to move, even when things got so bad that the family would huddle together in fear, remained there until she died from breast cancer in 2003.

Janet left home at 16, married and moved to Essex. She prefers to stay out of the limelight, saying she doesn’t want to rake up those traumatic events. ‘I’m still in touch with her,’ says Playfair, ‘but I respect that she doesn’t want any more fuss.’

Inevitably, the TV drama will bring out the disbelievers. ‘To all those who say the poltergeist must have been a hoax I say this,’ says Playfair.

‘I was there and you weren’t. I investigated everything at first hand and you didn’t. I know what I saw and heard.’

So do I — and that’s why I slept with the lights on for weeks afterwards.

• The Enfield Haunting begins on Sky Living on Sunday May 3 at 9pm.

A CASE WHICH STARTED WITH OUIJA BOARD PLAYING...

the conjuring 2 - Google Search

I have this movie and in this version, the 2 outside mediums involved were none other than
Edward and Lorraine Warren.

Ed & Lorraine Warren - Home

Carl Miller

@Wind7

Gonna try and find it THKS. There's another movie i could be interested in- 'The Others'- have tried to purchased it online and something blocked me along the way. Perhaps something having to do to my bank account which must had been without cash on the occasion.

Wind7

Staff
@Carl Miller

You're very welcome! :)

The Others was a great movie if you like haunted mansion stories,
Nichole Kidman at her best!

Conjuring 2 isn't horrible.... it's just.. Hollyweird pumped up the story a bit much but if you can look past all the gloss, you will like the story.

I admit, movies based on true stories almost always find their way into my collection. (y) :D

TimeFlipper

@Carl Miller @Wind7 The Exorcist is still the most scariest movie i have seen ....The girl in that movie allegedly did become possessed by something after the movie was made, or was it just hype for publicity? :eek:..

Carl Miller

@Carl Miller @Wind7 The Exorcist is still the most scariest movie i have seen ....The girl in that movie allegedly did become possessed by something after the movie was made, or was it just hype for publicity? :eek:..

@Wind7
I guess the scariest terror movie i have ever watched was Carrie (1976)- a shy, friendless teenage girl who is sheltered by her domineering religious mother who unleashes her telekinetic powers after being humiliated by her classmates at her senior prom.(IMDb).
"If you got a taste for terror take Carrie to the prom". (IMDb)

Man, that part in which the grotesque apparition of freak Carrie soaked in swine blood , pops into the prom ARGHH, it is something to make the eyes fall out of their sockets.
A new version of the Drama · a reimagining of the classic horror tale about Carrie White, a shy girl outcast by her classmates appeared in 2013. I watched the latter version also, though it did not cause the same impact in me just as the first version produced back then, in 1976.

Last edited: