Thought (question) on time travel from a casual observer

Paul

The thought has always fascinated me but I have trouble reconciling one thing and that is if the idea is that you, just you, travel through time and everything else about the world is unaffected, would you not have to consider something like the earth's position in it's movement around the sun at the time you travel to? You could end up materializing in outer space.

Martian

Think about conservation of momentum. Right now, you have the same momentum as Earth, plus your relative movements.

The thought has always fascinated me but I have trouble reconciling one thing and that is if the idea is that you, just you, travel through time and everything else about the world is unaffected, would you not have to consider something like the earth's position in it's movement around the sun at the time you travel to? You could end up materializing in outer space.
I never thought of that and that is realy brilliant of yours too.But as you wrote that i want to answer your question why don't you just travel through time more further? Example is go back through time exactly 1year before the event but before that you must calculate first or end like you said materialized in space