Three Laws of Chronodynamics

Lucidus

Re: Three Laws of Chronodynamics

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
It is certainly nice to have all these logical theories regarding time travel. But it is very much like writing a set of instructions for a machine that does not exist. Much like coming up with a treatise regarding a Quantum Drive Vehicle that has not been built.[/b]

Yep, thats true, until time travel can be developed and tested, all our theories are just speculation. It is very fun speculation however.

Harte

Originally Posted by StarLord
It is certainly nice to have all these logical theories regarding time travel. But it is very much like writing a set of instructions for a machine that does not exist. Much like coming up with a treatise regarding a Quantum Drive Vehicle that has not been built.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"lucidus\")</div>
Yep, thats true, until time travel can be developed and tested, all our theories are just speculation. It is very fun speculation however.[/b]

Please realize that we are only talking about travel into the past here. Of course, travel into the future would't be that great if you could't somehow get back.

StarLord

And what do you have in your pocket that guarantees you would ever get back from the exact place you left from going in any direction?

Chronodynamic Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Heinrich Hundekok\")</div>
Oh, by the way Jim...

Take a good look at this:

Three Laws of Chronodynamics
Cause MUST preceed Effect, but may seem to do so to the Staionary Observer[/b]

I'm talking about this line:

\"Cause MUST preceed Effect, but may seem to do so to the Staionary Observer\"

Shouldn't it have said:

\"Cause MUST preceed Effect, but may not seem to do so to the Stationary Observer\" ?

I'm not saying this to be a pain in your ass or anything, just trying to live up to my favorite quotation (see below).

H.H.[/b]

Ye Gods you're right!!
How stupid of me! Thank You so much, that line is misquoted and you're correction is right on the money. I checked, and it is also misquoted in my initial post in this thread, what an unfortunate typo!

My appologies for any misunderstandings this error may have caused.

Heinrich Hundekok

No problem, Jim!

Stuff like this happens every now & then, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. Now, where were we...

Ah, yes - I'd like to get back to you abot that cause / effect discussion we had earlier, but I'm a bit busy right now. Will be posting about it soon. Looking forward to joining the club.

H.H.

Chronodynamic Jim

My point is... you won't find any protagonists in the laws formulated by Newton, Einstein or Heisenberg.[/b]

Einstien made use of observers in Special Relativity and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle surely invokes observers in that it defines what can and cannot be known by said observer.

Besides, as I said earlier,
Within the fictional setting of the framework of the Laws, they are as you suggest they should be. They are mathematical, cold and objective. The english approximations however are not. These are used in the story as a kind of compass to guide a time traveler and to deliniate what can and what can not be done.

Heinrich Hundekok

No, I got it figured out right away, since I'm used to think of time travel in single time-line terms. Honestly, I didn't see it until just before mentioning it...

By the way, I did write an article on the subject a few years back. It's purely theoretical of course, but it explains why there isn't really any paradox involved in the popular "grandfater paradox" theory. It's pretty straightforward, but I wouldn't mind translating and modifying it if you or anyone else would like to leaf through it.

(the paradox only appears because the typical "grandfather theory" uses an invalid mix of multiple- and single timeline ideas. It explains the whole thing right from the bottom.)

H.H.

Chronodynamic Jim

No, I got it figured out right away, since I'm used to think of time travel in single time-line terms. Honestly, I didn't see it until just before mentioning it...

By the way, I did write an article on the subject a few years back. It's purely theoretical of course, but it explains why there isn't really any paradox involved in the popular \"grandfater paradox\" theory. It's pretty straightforward, but I wouldn't mind translating and modifying it if you or anyone else would like to leaf through it.

(the paradox only appears because the typical \"grandfather theory\" uses an invalid mix of multiple- and single timeline ideas. It explains the whole thing right from the bottom.)

H.H.[/b]

I would be greatly interested. Anything dealing with the grandfather "paradox" as the mish mash of misdirection it is, get's my respect.

As a matter of fact, from Chronodynamic point of view, there is no such thing as a paradox. It is simply a misunderstanding of a time travel event.