Time Changes

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Daylight savings time begins. But why do we still do it? Florida voted to end it, but they have to wait for the federal Congress to make the change. Why won't they do it? It's an ancient concept that is no longer needed. All it does is torture people and mess with our body rhythms. Of course, we know that if they wrote a bill to end daylight savings they'd add another $20 billion to Ukraine to the bill.

Why can't the states just say "eff it" and do it anyway? I mean, what really is the government going to do about it? Send in the national guard?

Wind7

Staff

The 2 states that don't do daylight saving — and how they got rid of time changes for good

By Aliza Chasan
Updated on: March 9, 2024 / 8:14 PM EST / CBS News

As 2024's daylight savings time starts, most of the U.S. will change the time on clocks — but there are two states and several territories that do not observe daylight saving time.

Come Sunday, people across the country will move clocks forward an hour and lose an hour of sleep. Daylight saving time ends, with clocks moving back an hour, on Nov. 3. The twice annual clock change isn't observed everywhere in the U.S.

Full list of states, territories that don't do daylight saving​

According to the Department of Transportation, which oversees the nation's time zones, there are two states and five U.S. territories that do not observe daylight saving time.

• Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation)
  • Hawaii
  • American Samoa
  • Guam
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Puerto Rico
  • U.S. Virgin Islands.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

The 2 states that don't do daylight saving — and how they got rid of time changes for good

By Aliza Chasan
Updated on: March 9, 2024 / 8:14 PM EST / CBS News

As 2024's daylight savings time starts, most of the U.S. will change the time on clocks — but there are two states and several territories that do not observe daylight saving time.

Come Sunday, people across the country will move clocks forward an hour and lose an hour of sleep. Daylight saving time ends, with clocks moving back an hour, on Nov. 3. The twice annual clock change isn't observed everywhere in the U.S.

Full list of states, territories that don't do daylight saving​

According to the Department of Transportation, which oversees the nation's time zones, there are two states and five U.S. territories that do not observe daylight saving time.

• Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation)
  • Hawaii
  • American Samoa
  • Guam
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Puerto Rico
  • U.S. Virgin Islands.

Ok, so the governors could just do it.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Funny thing is, in a year, we spend more time on the daylight savings, than on regular time, isn't this odd?

I prefer daylight savings. During regular time it gets dark too early, it's sad and boring.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Funny thing is, in a year, we spend more time on the daylight savings, than on regular time, isn't this odd?

I prefer daylight savings. During regular time it gets dark too early, it's sad and boring.

True, it is more convenient, but our body clocks want dark at night and bright in the morning. I do like having an extra hour of outdoors time, though.

Wind7

Staff

Too bad they just cannot figure out a permanent time change that panders to both ideals.

I find that there are more angry people on this day than most any other though
and I just grit my teeth and wait for the transition week to be over.

Wind7

Staff
Ok, so the governors could just do it.

Sure......After polling the people....Randomly asking for advice......Taking it to legislature.....Filibustering the hell out of it.....Starting over....
....Staying up far too late with the stress of indecision......And when it's just about to reach a decision....DST is over....So,
They just bury it back under old FFA reports......(Cough).... :rolleyes: