Time Travel Is Impossible and heres Why!

st0len

Time Travel Is Impossible and heres Why!

Iv heard many theories about time travel, IE: 4th Dementions, Electrostatic discharge and many other really wierd one's. Did anyone every bring up the idea that time doesnt exist? Sure it may sound wacked out but why?

What exactly is time? A measurement of matter moving from one place to another, IE: Earth day's is 1 rotation around the sun...

So if time is measured by objects moving in space what happens if these objects start moving slower or faster? Does is distort time in which ways we can relate too? I think not!

If all I said is true then how can we possibly make a TimeMachine? To make a timemachine we have to move and change all of space back and every single partical and atom would have to be exactly where they used to be. There is only one person that can do this and the name may be familiar. The name is GOD!

My theory would explain alot of contraversial topics in space. Such as how old the universe is and how matter was created. My theory simply suggests that the universe is exactly 0 seconds old and matter and energy will never die. It may be hard to conceive such an idea but look around you, where did all this stuff come from originaly? Well maby it was just always here. Im a computer proggramer and many of you may understand what a loop is. A loop is where something happens and loops until it was ment to stop. In programming sometimes you make a mistake which alows the loop to go forever unless shutdown manualy. Every think maby god is that switch and something happend where he god turned on? This may sound cracked out but its my best explaintion to explain how everything fits together instead of 100's of different theories that make sense serpartly but do not together.

Anyways I would be interested what other people think of my theory, because I have never brought it up before!

PS (Sorry about the spelling, I didnt have enough time to proof read it)

StarLord

Re: Time Travel Is Impossible and heres Why!

Perhaps we have been going about this the wrong way. You just may have answered a very old question.

Dinosaurs invented time travel, they created such a ripple in time due to the fact that they wanted to have the very first crack at the apple from the tree of knowledge that all of them were wiped out in a New York Second with the exception of the Wooly Mammoths, who were still pissed off at the Cro Magnon folks for chasing them at all hours of the day and night with those damn flint spears and fire hardened pointy sticks that they went forward in time and created war, fast food and real cheap booze.

alvingoesdown

Hey stolen, thats pretty good!!!! Time is exactly that!!!! Man made!!!! Great concept!
Now all I ask is why don't you think one can move forward or backward????????
If a massless wave of pure charge can travel faster than the speed of light, ie..since it is not coupled to mass (then this wave can out run any masstype wave simply by its magnitude alone, thus enabling the user of this wave to see in the past or future by coupling onto masswaves of that time domain and relaying that information back to the user so he/she can hear or see those broadcasts from the yesteryears then could time travel be possiable after all????????

st0len

Thanks For the replays!

Did you no humans can time travel in a material way today? I will tell your how!

Look UP!

The stars and galaxies you are looking at may be actualy be "realtime" but it takes the matter a certain distance to get to us and since theres a constant stream of material and energy comming from these stars we are seing what the star looked like a long time ago.

What im trying to say is yes in come situations we can look back into time but not how Hollywood has portrayed it.

Another point to bring up about how time is measured through out history, IE: The Dinosaurs lived 23 Million years ago. BUT since the universe is slowing down would'nt the "time" slow down as well. Today we measure time as a Simple rate much as "simple interest in a bank". We should be measureing the compound rate.

Here is an example and I hope this explains my theory of compounding time:

YEAR 2005: Value of 1 year is equal to 1 year (duh)

YEAR 2500BC: Value of 1 year is equal to 2 years of 2005 because material is moving faster.

This is very hard to explain and I hope I made you guys and gals understand.

PS: I use time as a reference to material movement and location not the human clock.

Lucidus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"st0len\")</div>
Another point to bring up about how time is measured through out history, IE: The Dinosaurs lived 23 Million years ago. BUT since the universe is slowing down would'nt the \"time\" slow down as well. Today we measure time as a Simple rate much as \"simple interest in a bank\". We should be measureing the compound rate.

Here is an example and I hope this explains my theory of compounding time:

YEAR 2005: Value of 1 year is equal to 1 year (duh)

YEAR 2500BC: Value of 1 year is equal to 2 years of 2005 because material is moving faster.

This is very hard to explain and I hope I made you guys and gals understand.

PS: I use time as a reference to material movement and location not the human clock.[/b]

What do you mean when you say that the universe is slowing down? I thought that astronomers and physicists have determined that the universe is expanding and that the rate of expansion is accelerating.

BTW I am not attacking your theory, I myself have oftened wondered if time "really" exist or not. Most physicists seem to think that it does. Since I really don't know, I take their word for it.

Harte

Iv heard many theories about time travel, IE: 4th Dementions, Electrostatic discharge and many other really wierd one's. Did anyone every bring up the idea that time doesnt exist? [/b]

Time, in the way you describe it, does not exist, similarly, space does not exist.

What exactly is time? A measurement of matter moving from one place to another, IE: Earth day's is 1 rotation around the sun...[/b]

This is true. Time, as we see it, is a dimension; similar to length, breadth and width.

So if time is measured by objects moving in space what happens if these objects start moving slower or faster? Does is distort time in which ways we can relate too? I think not![/b]

Time is not measured by objects moving in space. Objects moving in space allow us to be aware of how much time has passed. If you are locked in a dark room and nothing moves, time still goes by.

Time is one facet of a thing called spacetime. Time is to spacetime as height is to volume. Spacetime makes up the universe where we live.

If all I said is true then how can we possibly make a TimeMachine? To make a timemachine we have to move and change all of space back and every single partical and atom would have to be exactly where they used to be.
?[/b]

Most of what you have said is not true. Man has already traveled forward in time. Some Apollo astronauts have moved a minute or so into the future due to time dilation, part of Einstein"s special theory of relativity. The general theory of relativity allows travel into the past, but only in the vicinity of severely warp spacetime such as you will find near a rotating massive black hole.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"alvingoesdown\")</div>
If a massless wave of pure charge can travel faster than the speed of light, ie..since it is not coupled to mass (then this wave can out run any masstype wave simply by its magnitude alone, thus enabling the user of this wave to see in the past or future by coupling onto masswaves of that time domain and relaying that information back to the user so he/she can hear or see those broadcasts from the yesteryears then could time travel be possiable after all???????? [/b]

There can be no such thing as pure massless charge. Only electrons impart charge and electrons have mass. But yes, time travel is possible anyway (see above.)

Originally Posted by st0len

Another point to bring up about how time is measured through out history, IE: The Dinosaurs lived 23 Million years ago. BUT since the universe is slowing down would'nt the \"time\" slow down as well. Today we measure time as a Simple rate much as \"simple interest in a bank\". We should be measureing the compound rate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"lucidus\")</div>
What do you mean when you say that the universe is slowing down? I thought that astronomers and physicists have determined that the universe is expanding and that the rate of expansion is accelerating.[/b]

A very lucid post lucidus. Physicists speculate on what will happen to the time arrow if the universe slows, stops and starts to shrink. Have you heard of anyone wondering what the acceleration is doing to the time arrow? If the time arrow is increasing, do you think this means anything to us? I mean can we possibly measure such a thing? I don't think a larger or smaller time arrow means anything to the creatures that are occupying the spacetime. I think there would be no difference to us in the same way that the universe's expansion doesn't affect us.

StarLord

Well, we will just have to send a candygram into the future, oh, say about a few million years before there is any noticeable shift in the passage of time. Or are you saying that the outlying galaxies can effect how time passes at the the center of the universe?

Lucidus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
A very lucid post lucidus. Physicists speculate on what will happen to the time arrow if the universe slows, stops and starts to shrink. Have you heard of anyone wondering what the acceleration is doing to the time arrow? If the time arrow is increasing, do you think this means anything to us? I mean can we possibly measure such a thing? I don't think a larger or smaller time arrow means anything to the creatures that are occupying the spacetime. I think there would be no difference to us in the same way that the universe's expansion doesn't affect us.[/b]

This may be off-topic, but this got me to thinking. As the universe expands at an accerlerating pace, our observable universe should get smaller and smaller as other objects move away from us at greater than the speed of light and we can no longer observe them. Eventually, if there is nothing to stop this expansion,the observable universe will shrink to the point that each subatomic particle is unable to "observe" or interact with another. In a way, each subatomic particle would exist in its own tiny universe. Weird. But if the expansion continues then eventually even the smallest particles will not fit in the universe.

I am probably wrong about this, but I thought it was interesting anyway.

StarLord

So, when everything compacts back to a single point, that certainly would supply the energy needed to make the Big Bang now wouldn't it?