unanswered questions

Sue

As I dig through the monstrosity of posts about JT I still have a couple of questions. I apologize if my questions have been answered somewhere here in a different thread and I yet to find them, i have looked through a lot of the posts and haven't found this question.

I understand JT's logic and theory of multiple world lines. How he can never return to his "original" world line but "close enough".

If he can't return to his original world line when he went back to 2036 then how will they know who he is or what his mission even was? Maybe his divergence wasn't much but it wasn't 0.. He could never possibly help a world line he could never return to. His original world line would be sitting there waiting for him and the observers would never observe his return because he wouldn't be returning to his original world line for them to witness "his return, just a few seconds after he left" therefore not ever able to help. (And if you use the logic that he was close enough of a divergence to effect his original world line, then the same logic should be used that our world line would be close to the same as his because it's about the same divergence degree and to my understanding our world line is nothing like his was for our time.

Secondly, going by his story and theory, if he takes the IBM back to 2036 on a different world line, how does he even know that world line needs it? they wouldn't even know him "not even his own parents" AND there would be 2 of him there?

Just some thoughts pondering in my mind with no logical answer.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
You make good points... :) These are a few reasons I don't believe Titor was a legit time traveler...Unless he returns, we may never know these answers...

(p.s: I still find Titor fascinating..)

Sue

Definitely fascinating.. And in John's words ~

"Also, I realize there is no way for anyone to believe me with absolute certainty so I hope I’m at least entertaining"

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I understand JT's logic and theory of multiple world lines. How he can never return to his "original" world line but "close enough".

Actually not true! :) He said that he couldn't with the device he has NOW and also mentioned the existence of a C206.
In another post, he stated that he could return but it would be "tricky".

I don't believe his mission was to help this worldline. I believe he wanted to retrieve the IBM 5100 to aid with the 2038 Unix problem.
He said his device can only travel 60 years both directions, most likely due to this problem:

Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe his device runs off the Unix operating system.

Secondly, going by his story and theory, if he takes the IBM back to 2036 on a different world line, how does he even know that world line needs it? they wouldn't even know him "not even his own parents" AND there would be 2 of him there?

Yes, there would be multiple copies, but I do believe he could return to his original worldline.

Hope this helps.

Sue

This one gets me:::

For all of you interested in coming back with me to 2036, perhaps we should discuss the trip. Please be aware, the displacement unit moves through time, not space. First, we will be driving the current vehicle (Chevy truck) with the displacement unit in it to Tampa Florida.

Why would he have to drive the Chevy truck to Tampa Florida if he's already there with his family? "maybe I haven't gotten to that part yet, but I thought he was already there staying with his parents and little JT?

Sue

13. We don’t know what’s on Mars yet.

I guess his timeline never had "Rover" then?

Sue

Actually not true! :) He said that he couldn't with the device he has NOW and also mentioned the existence of a C206.
In another post, he stated that he could return but it would be "tricky".

I don't believe his mission was to help this worldline. I believe he wanted to retrieve the IBM 5100 to aid with the 2038 Unix problem.
He said his device can only travel 60 years both directions, most likely due to this problem:

Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe his device runs off the Unix operating system.

Yes, there would be multiple copies, but I do believe he could return to his original worldline.

Hope this helps.

30. Getting back to my exact worldline of origin is impossible but it depends on how you define the correct worldline. I can get close enough so neither I nor anyone there would know the difference. It relates to the classic example of cutting a distance in half to reach it. You can always get closer but never there. It also has a lot do with neighboring universes on Penrose diagrams but that requires more math.

I think the idea is that, while yes this instance of JT would not be able to return back to the exact instance of the world line he left, another instance of a JT on a similar mission will PROBABLY return back to his origional. Just as he will return to another where another JT left too. In the end the majority of timelines receive a JT back who has the goal item.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
30. Getting back to my exact worldline of origin is impossible but it depends on how you define the correct worldline. I can get close enough so neither I nor anyone there would know the difference. It relates to the classic example of cutting a distance in half to reach it. You can always get closer but never there. It also has a lot do with neighboring universes on Penrose diagrams but that requires more math.

Is it possible for you to return to this time line once you leave?
Not with the machine I have now.

Getting back to my “proper” universe is tricky but possible.