Unified theory of everything

Harte

Of course it would.

By definition, a unified filed theory would unify the four forces that have been modeled using the mathematical concept of the "filed."

Just because it wouldn't explain your heebeejeebees, that doesn't make it incomplete.

They're not gonna call it a "unified heebeejeebee" theory.

Harte

Rosco..Jones

Consciousnesses/Life continuously collapses probability wave functions at a quantum level and alters physical systems.
What causes the physical changes required to initiate the series of nerve impulses require to raise your arm?
Life is not solely a series of predestined biophysical electro/chemical reactions.
Something alive is distinctly different from something that is not.
What is the cause for this difference?
I'd say we need to consider five forces, rather than four.
So, please explain how life works using the four forces.

And be nice. This is an exchange of ideas and not an argument.
I'm always looking to learn from others that have had experiences different from my own.
I may just not have had the opportunity to gain the knowledge that you base your opinions upon.
Clue me in and please educate me. Thanks in advance.

Harte

Of course it would.

By definition, a unified filed theory would unify the four forces that have been modeled using the mathematical concept of the "filed."

Just because it wouldn't explain your heebeejeebees, that doesn't make it incomplete.

They're not gonna call it a "unified heebeejeebee" theory.

Harte

Sorry about the typo.

"Field."

Harte

Consciousnesses/Life continuously collapses probability wave functions at a quantum level and alters physical systems.
What causes the physical changes required to initiate the series of nerve impulses require to raise your arm?
Life is not solely a series of predestined biophysical electro/chemical reactions.
Something alive is distinctly different from something that is not.
What is the cause for this difference?
I'd say we need to consider five forces, rather than four.
So, please explain how life works using the four forces.

And be nice. This is an exchange of ideas and not an argument.
I'm always looking to learn from others that have had experiences different from my own.
I may just not have had the opportunity to gain the knowledge that you base your opinions upon.
Clue me in and please educate me. Thanks in advance.

No unified field theory proposes to explain the things you mention.

Physics is not Metaphysics.

Harte

Rosco..Jones

Sorry Harte, I just feel that the Unified Theory of Everything should be including, Everything.
Just to say we have no explanation for certain aspects of Everything, falls short of the mark of being Unified.
We cannot just eliminate considering the effect of observation has in some experiments.
Different viewpoints on this one.
I agree to disagree.

Harte

Semantics.

What's referred to as a T.O.E. is what physicists used to call a Unified Field Theory.

The difference is that a T.O.E. wouldn't just unify all four forces, it would also explain the particle zoo and connect Quantum Mechanics with the macrouniverse - connecting it to other fileds like Relativity and Thermodynamics.

Note - all these are subfields of Physics.

It still won't explain intangibles and fantasies like love and chi "energy."

Harte

Rosco..Jones

Semantics.

What's referred to as a T.O.E. is what physicists used to call a Unified Field Theory.

The difference is that a T.O.E. wouldn't just unify all four forces, it would also explain the particle zoo and connect Quantum Mechanics with the macrouniverse - connecting it to other fileds like Relativity and Thermodynamics.

Note - all these are subfields of Physics.

It still won't explain intangibles and fantasies like love and chi "energy."

Harte

Harte, Thanks for clarifying this on the T.O.E. being for subfields of Physics.
I've found a good article on quantum biology, that includes the quantum side of consciousness.
I may just get to sneak my metaphysics pack into the BIG TOE through the back door.
Here are a couple clips to introduce the subject matter.
I hope you enjoy reading it.

Remarkably, photosynthesis appears to derive its ferocious efficiency not from the familiar physical laws that govern the visible world, but from the seemingly exotic rules of quantum mechanics, the physics of the subatomic world. Somehow, in every green plant or photosynthetic bacterium, the two disparate realms of physics not only meet but mesh harmoniously. Welcome to the strange new world of quantum biology.

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/fe...-your-thoughts/article_view?b_start:int=1&-C=

QUANTUM TO THE CORE
Stuart Hameroff, an anesthesiologist and director of the Center for Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona, argues that the highest function of life—consciousness—is likely a quantum phenomenon too. This is illustrated, he says, through anesthetics. The brain of a patient under anesthesia continues to operate actively, but without a conscious mind at work. What enables anesthetics such as xenon or isoflurane gas to switch off the conscious mind?

Hameroff speculates that anesthetics “interrupt a delicate quantum process” within the neurons of the brain. Each neuron contains hundreds of long, cylindrical protein structures, called microtubules, that serve as scaffolding. Anesthetics, Hameroff says, dissolve inside tiny oily regions of the microtubules, affecting how some electrons inside these regions behave.

He speculates that the action unfolds like this: When certain key electrons are in one “place,” call it to the “left,” part of the microtubule is squashed; when the electrons fall to the “right,” the section is elongated. But the laws of quantum mechanics allow for electrons to be both “left” and “right” at the same time, and thus for the micro­tubules to be both elongated and squashed at once. Each section of the constantly shifting system has an impact on other sections, potentially via quantum entanglement, leading to a dynamic quantum-mechanical dance.

It is in this faster-than-light subatomic communication, Hameroff says, that consciousness is born. Anesthetics get in the way of the dancing electrons and stop the gyration at its quantum-mechanical core; that is how they are able to switch consciousness off.

It is still a long way from Hameroff’s hypo­thetical (and experimentally unproven) quantum neurons to a sentient, conscious human brain. But many human experiences, Hameroff says, from dreams to subconscious emotions to fuzzy memory, seem closer to the Alice in Wonderland rules governing the quantum world than to the cut-and-dried reality that classical physics suggests. Discovering a quantum portal within every neuron in your head might be the ultimate trip through the looking glass.

Harte

Harte, Thanks for clarifying this on the T.O.E. being for subfields of Physics.
He speculates that the action unfolds like this: When certain key electrons are in one “place,” call it to the “left,” part of the microtubule is squashed; when the electrons fall to the “right,” the section is elongated. But the laws of quantum mechanics allow for electrons to be both “left” and “right” at the same time, and thus for the micro­tubules to be both elongated and squashed at once. Each section of the constantly shifting system has an impact on other sections, potentially via quantum entanglement, leading to a dynamic quantum-mechanical dance.

It is in this faster-than-light subatomic communication, Hameroff says, that consciousness is born. Anesthetics get in the way of the dancing electrons and stop the gyration at its quantum-mechanical core; that is how they are able to switch consciousness off.
With all due respect to the physician Hameroff, quantum entanglement does not equate to communication of any kind.

There is no such thing as "faster than light communication."

It's possible that in the quote Hameroff is just stating his theory in the shortest and most easily understood way. That is, I'm not saying he doesn't understand entanglement.

I just wanted to clear that little bit up.

Also, I don't see any metaphysics here.

Lastly, re the discovery magazine link, if it takes "consciousness" to collapse a wave function, how does this occur in photosynthesis? Who's "conscious" is doing that collapsing?

If you're interested in the quanta of Neurology, you might like some of the reading available at the
Journal of Neuroquantology.

I registered there two years ago, and have yet to see anything metaphysical.

Harte

Rosco..Jones

Thanks for opening up this new door for me. (Journal of Neuroquantology) Lots of interesting material related to the mind/body interface.
I do feel we have been getting a bit off topic for the T.O.E. discussion. It was an interesting side trip though. I still believe in faster than light communication. (Paired particles, action at a distance? Recent CERN neutrino experiments?) The article below, from the Journal of Neuroquantology may be right along the line of thought I was pursuing. I've found other related items of interest there also. Thanks again for the lead.

Towards a Theory of Everything Part II: Introduction of Consciousness in Schrödinger equation and Standard Model
Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal

Abstract

Theory of everything must include consciousness. In Part I (Vimal, 2010b) of this series of 3 articles, the subjective experience (SE) aspect of consciousness was introduced in classical physics by examining the invariance of various components of theories under PE-SE transformations, where PEs (proto-experiences) are precursors of SEs. We found that (i) classical physics is invariant under the PE-SE transformation, (ii) SEs are embedded in spacetime geometry for the structure of spacetime in superposed form, (iii) SEs can move with spatiotemporal coordinates of matter for matter field because both mental and material aspects are always together in the dual-aspect-dual-mode optimal PE-SE framework, and (iv) our specific SE is the result of matching and selection processes and can change with space and time. For example, experiencing redness has neural correlates of V4/V8/VO-red-green neural-net with redness state. When a subject moves, the specific SE redness also moves with the subject’s correlated neural-net. In the current Part II, the SE aspect of consciousness is introduced in orthodox quantum physics by examining its invariance under the PE-SE transformations. We found that the followings are invariant under the PE-SE transformations: Schrödinger equation, current, Dirac Lagrangian, the Lagrangian for a charged self-interacting scalar field, and Standard Model (the Lagrangian for free gauge field and Lagrangian for the electromagnetic interaction of a charged scalar field (Higgs Mechanism)). In Part III (Vimal, 2010c), the SE aspect of consciousness will be introduced to unify it with fundamental forces in loop quantum gravity and string theory of modern quantum physics. All parts together lead us towards the theory of everything.