Waterworld!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What Would The Earth Look Like If All The Ice Melted?

The subject of climate change is a hotly contested one (excuse the pun), and despite irrefutable evidence that our ice caps are melting and our sea levels are rising faster every year, many still aren’t convinced that human pollution is directly affecting our atmosphere.

If all ice on the planet were to melt completely, sea levels will rise by 216 feet; submerging some major cities and reshaping whole continents dramatically.

So what would the earth actually look like if that happened? Would your city survive?

Source:
What Would The Earth Look Like If All The Ice Melted?

That almost sounds like a waterworld scenario, with a little less water though.

TnWatchdog

Wow...doesn't look too good for coastal port cities. I saw on the news today that they are planning to relocate some Alaskan island inhabitants as the ice pack is melting and will be flooding them out. I guess you could live in the mile high city of Denver but then you would have to worry about fires, volcanic explosions, or earthquakes.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I had no idea how high the sea levels would rise once all the ice melted. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be as bad as in the Waterworld movie, but I was pretty sure the levels would go up.

We were thought that it wouldn't do anything, because ice takes more place that water. But that doesn't consider all the ice that is out of the water, like the whole Antarctica glacier, for instance. Ah.. school!

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
An ice cube doesn't make the water in a glass, overflow when it melts. The water level remains the same. But that is something you can verify yourself. So why should that big ice cube at the south pole make the oceans rise?

Itheblaze

That's because the ice is in the glass with your drink, not floating on top. If your glass was filled to the top and you put a strainer over and had a large chunk of ice melting over top, it will spill over. The glacier on top of the surface will add more liquid when its melted which will cause overflow.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Einstein and Itheblaze, you're both right. :)

Hypothetically speaking, if the ice on the Antarctica continent was to completely melt, the ground would rise, because the ice's massive pressure and weight would be gone. Do you think this might affect sea levels as well?

Itheblaze

It will rise some but it's not going to rise to the level of that 25ft glacier that melted. If you place a heavy dictionary on a loaf of bread and take it off a few hours later, the loaf will rise back up a little but not back to its original state.

Krish

An ice cube doesn't make the water in a glass, overflow when it melts. The water level remains the same. But that is something you can verify yourself. So why should that big ice cube at the south pole make the oceans rise?
Not if you take the ice from the freezer and add to a glass of water....

Long ago, Dwaraka and a lot of Asian underground cities where higher up...unless we got an asteroid full of ice, those water has to be in ice format somewhere....time to rethink...