What Evidence Would You Need for a Time Travel Claim?

How do you judge a claim from a someone claiming to be a time traveler?

Is it the accuracy of his predictions? Considering his predictions are for the future, it will be some time before you can reliably judge using only his predictions as a benchmark.

Is there some other way you know a time traveler is a hoaxer? Are all claimants of time travel hoaxers?

Ren

Why would a time-traveler want to prove him or herself other than to boost his or her personal ego? Regardless of what anyone says, at least people shouldn't be lazy and judge that person without reading what he or she has to say.

Some people are so selfish, dumb, lazy and indifferent today. It is because they aren't fighting for their lives.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I might accept proof if someone was able to reshape the past. You see dead celebrities come back alive. My favorite is Roger Ebert. A movie critic in the mid 90's. Used to critic with Siskel. The show was called the Siskel and Ebert show. But I clearly remember he died back then. He was as big as a whale. 3 people size. I heard he died of a massive heart attack. My ex-wife clearly remembers it also. So I was a little surprised to see he is now alive. Although not doing too well now. But how did he come back from the dead? My theory is that people in the entertainment business have access to time travel technology. It seems that mistakes can be corrected with time travel technology. And of course more recently there are Michael Jackson sightings. It was a drug overdose, right? Something a time traveler could correct with a visit to the past. I am accepting this as evidence that time travel technology exists. But then I have personal experiences in my past that also point toward evidence of time travel. Evidence to me that I will become a time traveler in my future. So I'm already a believer. But not in John Titor. He flubbed up in using black holes as the source of his time machines abilities. The fact is a black hole is a mathematically derived concept. Someone made it up on a piece of paper. The astronomers say there is evidence that they exist. But no facts yet. I doubt there ever will be facts to support black holes.

kurisu

Depends on the situation of how we met whether it's online or irl if it was irl then it's simple he can give me a ride to the past or simply show me the machine/device he uses if it was online I would have to judge him by the consistency of his story and, whether or not all the pieces of the story fit together. It's hard to answer a bunch of questions without slipping up ( hard but, not impossible ) I suppose it I would believe them if they could predict the lottery numbers and, give them to me. The lottery is a very very very low chance of winning if someone could predict the numbers multiple times without flaw then, I can know it wasn't a fluke or something similar to the lottery ( it was only a example )

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
This is a re-post from Professor Opmmur's website:

Opmmur's web site link: Board Message?

Posted: Aug 8 2004, 04:54 PM

If you’re a real Time Traveler from the future you will know the right answers to my eight simple questions.

Please note: any grade school student in your time will know the answer to all questions listed. I am not a time traveler and I do know the answers to my stated eight questions.

1. Can you tell who is considered the father of Time Travel and who is credited for the first working Time Machine and the year it happened?

2. What are the principles used in the first real Time Machine and from which country did it come from?

3. The 2012 Eternal Time Wall can you tell us about it?

4. How many elements are now on the Periodic Table of Elements?

5. On your Periodic Table of Elements, I would like to know which element is used in space travel to stop deadly gamma rays? (It’s one element from #5 (Boron) to #172 (name @#$%^&*) on the Periodic Table of Elements, which one and it’s early name?)

6. On your Periodic Table of Elements, I would like to know which element could stand the temperatures of one million degrees Fahrenheit, when Indium element #49 is added to the curing process? (It’s one element from #5 (Boron) to #172 (name @#$%^&*) on the Periodic Table of Elements, which one and it’s name?)

Bonus Questions:

7. What about the gray’s: There are three distinct gray groups visiting this planet, can you tell me about them, can you also describe their appearance and what their names are in English?

8. What are the principles used in your Time Machine? (Yes, I understand Electronics and Physics)

Thank You
Professor Opmmur

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Last call for partying time travelers
MIT student makes a date for visitors from future
Posted: May 7 2005, 09:12 PM - From Opmmur's web site

The Link: Last call for partying time travelers - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

Dorai, a student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is hosting a Time Traveler Convention on campus this Saturday. Make plans now, because it’s the last such party.

“You only need one,” he said. “The chance that anybody shows up is small, but if it happens it will be one of the biggest events in human history.”

There’s no dress code. No need to R.S.V.P. Refreshments (chips and dip) will be provided.

Dorai only asks his guests to show proof they come from the future: Bringing the cure for cancer, a solution for global poverty or a cold fusion reactor would suffice.

In case MIT is long gone by the time a time machine is invented, Dorai’s invitation includes geographic coordinates for the East Campus Courtyard (42:21:36.025 degrees north, 71:05:16.332 degrees west).

To spread the word, Dorai asked friends to scribble invitations on pieces of acid-free paper and slip them into obscure library books. He is also giving media interviews and posting his thoughts on a Web site.

“The World Wide Web is unlikely to remain in its present form permanently,” he wrote. “We need volunteers to publish the details of the convention in enduring forms, so that the time travelers of future millennia will be aware of the convention.”

The convention starts at 8 p.m. For dramatic effect, time travelers are encouraged to show up at 10 p.m. sharp. In between, revelers will take in a lecture on time travel by an MIT physics professor and listen to student bands belting out time-themed songs.

MIT physics professor Alan Guth is weighing an invitation to speak at the convention. Guth’s work involves applying theoretical particle physics to the early universe, but he said he has dabbled in writing about time travel theories.

“Most of us would bet it’s impossible, but none of us can prove it’s impossible either,” he said.

Dorai doesn’t consider himself a believer or a skeptic.

“I’m an experimentalist,” he said. “If there’s only going to be one, it should be here at MIT.”

Apart from the near-certainty that time travel is impossible, Dorai sees another potential problem. “If thousands of time travelers come, then the MIT police might try to shut the party down,” he said.

Himalayan Hermit

I might accept proof if someone was able to reshape the past. You see dead celebrities come back alive. My favorite is Roger Ebert. A movie critic in the mid 90's. Used to critic with Siskel. The show was called the Siskel and Ebert show. But I clearly remember he died back then. He was as big as a whale. 3 people size. I heard he died of a massive heart attack. My ex-wife clearly remembers it also. So I was a little surprised to see he is now alive. Although not doing too well now. But how did he come back from the dead? My theory is that people in the entertainment business have access to time travel technology. It seems that mistakes can be corrected with time travel technology. And of course more recently there are Michael Jackson sightings. It was a drug overdose, right? Something a time traveler could correct with a visit to the past. I am accepting this as evidence that time travel technology exists. But then I have personal experiences in my past that also point toward evidence of time travel. Evidence to me that I will become a time traveler in my future. So I'm already a believer. But not in John Titor. He flubbed up in using black holes as the source of his time machines abilities. The fact is a black hole is a mathematically derived concept. Someone made it up on a piece of paper. The astronomers say there is evidence that they exist. But no facts yet. I doubt there ever will be facts to support black holes.
Good points though I don't necessarily agree with all. Reshaping past falls flat if you're following alternate time-line theory. Entertainers having access to TT is also :-\ but I've read similar counts from other people where someone was thought as dead. I don't think any credible proof has come forth though.

I am, however, curious about the Michael Jackson point you make. Can you share any link or source for his sightings?

Samstwitch

I might accept proof if someone was able to reshape the past. You see dead celebrities come back alive. My favorite is Roger Ebert. A movie critic in the mid 90's. Used to critic with Siskel. The show was called the Siskel and Ebert show. But I clearly remember he died back then. He was as big as a whale. 3 people size. I heard he died of a massive heart attack. My ex-wife clearly remembers it also. So I was a little surprised to see he is now alive. Although not doing too well now. But how did he come back from the dead?

I distinctly remember Roger Ebert dying as well...but he is back now. How can this be?

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Gene Siskel

Eugene Kal "Gene" Siskel was an American film critic and journalist for the Chicago Tribune. Along with colleague Roger Ebert, he hosted the popular review show Siskel & Ebert At the Movies.

From 1975 until his death
Born: January 26, 1946, Chicago
Died: February 20, 1999, Evanston

Spouse: Marlene Iglitzen
Buried: Westlawn Cemetery
Education: Yale University, University of Toronto Mississauga, Culver Academies

Roger Ebert

Roger Joseph Ebert is an American journalist, film critic and screenwriter, who has been described by Forbes as "the most powerful pundit in America". It has been nearly four years since Roger Ebert lost his lower jaw and his ability to speak. Now television's most famous movie critic is rarely seen and never heard, but his words have never stopped.

Read more: Roger Ebert Cancer Battle - Roger Ebert Interview - Esquire

Born: June 18, 1942 (age 70), Urbana
Height: 5' 8" (1.72 m)
Spouse: Chaz Ebert (m. 1992)
Movies and TV shows: At the Movies, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, More
Books: The Great Movies, Roger Ebert's Four-Star Reviews 1967-2007, More
Education: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Cape Town