1. Dismiss Notice

What is the Universe?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Lagnar, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Lagnar

Lagnar Junior Member

What is the Universe?

:)

I hear that hubble has taken pictures of as long ago as 15 billion years ago - around the birth of the universe, and the Big Bang Theory is still commonly believed as how the (I would say "our" universe, but I feel that to be usuriously arrogant.) universe was formed.

My Question is simply this:

If there was something that made a huge explosion causing the universe to constantly expand, gobbling up or taking up more and more space (used loosely to describe what was physically around the universe in it's larval stage), then first, what is the universe taking space from; second, what was the cause of that first explosion; and third, exactly what exploded in the first place? In other words, what did the "universe" start out as (before the big bang), what was it sitting in (or hanging in, whatever the case might have been), and what was it's ignitor.

After thinking about this for awhile, egregiously working at a US Postal Service Remote Encoding Center...LOL, it seems also to bring up another theory about mass, and many more questions to accompany it like:

Is there anything currently outside our universe?

Did an entity cause that universe birthing explosion?

Did that entity cause any other universe birthing explosions?

Is the universe really the biggest thing we have the capacity to believe in?

What is the largest thing anyone can think of?

What is the smallest thing anyone can think of (Do we really think we've found it)?

Is it at all possible that there is no "Biggest" or "Smallest" thing and that the size of "things" is truly infinite either way?

Does our perspective limit our belief?

Is our perspective the only thing limiting our existance?

Are we truly the figment of our own imaginations?

Are we truly only physically existant in nature?

What is the nature of our existance?

Honestly, I could go on and on and on and on..LOL...couldn't we all?

Anyway, some speculation on these questions would be greatly appreciated, if for nothing else than entertainment value, but possibly even evolutionary growth.

I was in possession of one of Michiu Kaku's (spelled correctly) books once, yet just as soon as I started reading it, something more interesting (I thought) came across art bell's radio show, and I completely forgot about it, but has anyone heard of he's thought about or anyone else ever addressed any of these questions?

Great! Here's comes another night of googling my arse off!...later

OF COURSE!

I've found something already here...

Actually Darkbreed found it...here it is.

I would love to sit down and talk to Michio Kaku for hours and hours. I'm sure I'd never be able to talk or ask enough questions, but he's definitely got some interesting points.

Nice goin' Darkbreed. I can't believe no one's read it yet?

Here's the link to what Darkbreed posted...

http://www.timetravelforum.net/showthread.php?t=1785

2. Loading...

3. thenumbersix

thenumbersix Active Member

Re: What is the Universe?

Nice post, this guy has some good ideas, I say the Horizon program. Am even tempted to go out n buy his book. The first chapter is available from his sire..

I think something that fits in nicely with this is the theory of a Holographic Universe, have read a book by Michael Talbot. It helps to get the idea of everything being a wave into perspective, a tricky task...

4. Maltuvius

Maltuvius New Member

WHO SAY'S THAT THERE WAS A BIG BANG THAT STARTED THE UNIVERSE?

How do we know but by the words of men that, that was the way the universe was created? The BIG BANG is just a calculated guess by a bunch of men and women sitting around exercising thier brains trying to come up with an idea to tell all of the rest of us who have asked that question how did it all begin. I believe in God and his SON Jesus Christ and what the Bible has taught me about where man came from and where man is going. And that God created the universe and all things in it. I believe that when Jesus comes
    back to set up his Kingdom on Earth that all the questions that we willl want to know the answers to will be revealed to us in an instant. Now all that i have said here is of course my opinion and may be the opinion of somebody else also.

How do we know that there is anything beyond our solar system? Are we absoluty certain that what we see in our earth bound, and space based telescopes are real beyond our solar system. Just because we see it dos'nt
    mean it is there. What if the things that we see are just what our minds want to see. Yes we can look up into the sky at night and see billions of little points of light that our mind say's those are stars and galaxy's. But what if these things that we see and are convinced in our minds are real, are really nothing more than what the Creator wants us to believe in order to keep us from dispare in thinking that our little solar system is the only real thing out there? Now this is just my opinion, but what if. :huh:

5. Harte

Harte Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Maltuvius\")</div>
    Maltuvius,
    Let us assume that God created the universe then. If you could have been there standing next to God, what would you have seen when he uttered the command Let There Be Light? I submit to you that the sight would appear very similar to what is known as the Big Bang. It seems to me that the more they study the origin of the universe, the closer the scientists come to Genesis.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Maltuvius\")</div>
    How do we know that anything exists? I may be a figment of someone's imagination. We have five senses to tell us about the world and all of them are wired directly into our brains. No picture appears on the inside of our eyes, what you see you are seeing entirely in your mind. Sounds don't come from our ears, sounds are the result of our brains' interpretation of the modulations of a tiny vibrating bone in our ear. Similarly with smell, feel and taste. All of these senses can be completley halted given the right type of accident or surgery, without the loss of life, so we really don't know anything except what's in our heads, and that might not even be us that knows it.
    In this context, all we can do is assume that what we observe is real, or else just assume otherwise and cease to observe anything. So for the purposes of everyday existence, we make the first assumption. This is why we can assume that what we observe beyond our solar system is real. The objects we view (most of them) are sources of electromagnetic radiation, which can be detected and measured by our instruments here on Earth. Theories about what these objects must be make good sense and fit in with all other theories about how things work, even fitting in with what we can observe and discover right here on Earth, where we can "reach out and touch" our results, so to speak.

So, since we must assume that we exist (we have no evidence either way), and we must assume that what we see around us here on Earth exists (things like the Holy Bible, Bethlehem, the Rocky Mountains), it is then at least reasonable to assume that what we see beyond our solar system also exists. We may be wrong, but I suspect that if we are, we're wrong all the way, not just about existence beyond the solar system.

Harte

6. Lagnar

Lagnar Junior Member

Very interesting discussion so far, and I gather as follows:

First, in answer to my first question,

[What is the Universe taking space from?]

your answer Harte, and I'm sure I would enjoy any comment on my interpretation of your answer, is that "Heaven", or God's Apartment, is what the 'Universe' is claiming as it's own space (more and more rapidly acording to Michiu Kaku), or taking space from. Thus, countering what Michiu and other scholars are stating is simply a vast (much bigger than the universe) 'nothing'ness.

Second, in answer to my second question,

[What the cause of the first explosion?]

your answer again Harte, would be that God simply commanded an exposion of 'light' (let's just disregard the fabrication of the heavens and the earth ['s dirt] as stated in Genesis) from somewhere in his apartment (probably the bathroom...what a nice place THAT is..lol), or in an empty awaiting [residents] heaven.

And third,

[What exploded in the first place?]

Actually, I don't think you stated anything that might have exploded in the first place, but I would assume it to be a very volitile marble of quantum C-4, or sompm like that, that carried all of the versions of life-creating material that would be needed to complete a "Universe" of life as we know it.

Honestly, your guess is as good as anyone's, and I certainly don't mean to sound negative in any way, 'cause I just love the scrutity my questions are getting in any case.

I am anxious to find out what everyone thinks about some of the other questions that arise though:

1. The poll: Is there anything outside the Universe?
    2. Did an entity [God] cause any other BIG BANGS that might harbor other universes?
    3. Is the Universe the biggest thing we have the capacity to believe in?
    4. Have we the capacity to believe we've found the smallest particle possible (or largest)?
    5. Is it possible that the size of things grows and shrinks infinitely in our feeble perspective aforded us by our creator or creating scenario (Darwin, God, Micheal Cremo).
    6. What, in our perspective, limits our belief (beyond simple closed-mindedness)?
    7. Is our perspective <span style='font-family:Arial'>(The way our mind interprets the signals from our eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and fingertips.)
    the only thing limiting our current belief system?
    8. Are we truly ONLY physical in nature? (This question could probably have it's own thread...lol)<span style='font-family:Fixedsys'>
    and
    9. <span style='font-family:Arial'>(I believe we've touched on this a little bit)<span style='font-family:Fixedsys'>, but what truly IS the nature of OUR existance?

Now, I've been on Google most of the night, and today, running searches on all this things, and for the most part, people are very closed-minded about many things, or they simply haven't fathomed the questions before. A couple of them didn't find ANY search results at ALL, so I'm hoping to change that for the better here, so bring on your opinions, 'cause it seems no one else has even touched on a few things listed above.

I will, however, keep searching and [re]searching for the benefit of this post.

Have a good one...:D
    </span></span></span></span>

7. Harte

Harte Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Lagnar\")</div>
    Lagnar,
    Sorry man, but I wasn't responding to you. My personal beliefs didn't enter into my previous post. It was only an attempt to get Maltuvius to see that his views differ very little from current cosmologists theories (at least on the creation), as well as certain branches of philosophy (on the nature of existence).

I thought you found your own answers in the material you copied from Darkbreed's post (which has, in fact, been read - but only eighty-some-odd times, regrettably.) Tell you what, I'll try to give you my take on these questions later, but I'm skipping the ones you can get answers to by reading the Michio Kaku post. I agree with everything he said. In the mean time, there are several other threads here that I have contributed to that cover many of these subjects:

http://www.timetravelforum.net/showthread....33521#post33521

But I digress.

Harte

8. Wildstar

Wildstar Junior Member

"If there was something that made a huge explosion causing the universe to constantly expand, gobbling up or taking up more and more space (used loosely to describe what was physically around the universe in it's larval stage), then first, what is the universe taking space from; second, what was the cause of that first explosion; and third, exactly what exploded in the first place? In other words, what did the "universe" start out as (before the big bang), what was it sitting in (or hanging in, whatever the case might have been), and what was it's ignitor."

The universe isn't expanding into anything, it is space! what caused it can be a couple of things. It could have been a quantum fluctuation that just happened. I subscribe to chaotic inflation in which our universe sprouted from a previous universe. that universe came from yet another, forever. see link
    Chaotic Inflation theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After thinking about this for awhile, egregiously working at a US Postal Service Remote Encoding Center...LOL, it seems also to bring up another theory about mass, and many more questions to accompany it like:

"Is there anything currently outside our universe?"

In M-theory everything we see exists on a 3d membrane or brane that floats in a higher 11 dimensionl space. so in some sense there is an outside. If this is the only universe, then probably not. But assuming a level 2 universe or higher exists, then yes there are parallel worlds out there to deal with. see link
    Multiverse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Did an entity cause that universe birthing explosion?"

No one knows. I don't think it's necessary for any such god or whatever to create the universe. I think that an ever branching set of universes that have always existed it most likely the truth.

"Is the universe really the biggest thing we have the capacity to believe in?"

No. I think 11 dimensional hyperspace is the biggest thing. Infinity.

"What is the largest thing anyone can think of?"
    See above.

"What is the smallest thing anyone can think of (Do we really think we've found it)?"

I like the ideas of string theory in that the string IS the smallest thing possible. But who knows.

"Is it at all possible that there is no "Biggest" or "Smallest" thing and that the size of "things" is truly infinite either way?"

Thats possible.

"Does our perspective limit our belief?" Yes.

"Is our perspective the only thing limiting our existance?"

Reality limits our existance.

"Are we truly the figment of our own imaginations?"

I don't think so.

"Are we truly only physically existant in nature?'

No, our minds are made up of energy.

"What is the nature of our existance?"
    Unknown.

9. Num7

Num7 Administrator

Is there any way to know what was there before the big bang ?

If we consider that everything, everywhere, is 100% real, that we are not the figment of our own imagination, then, what's the limit, what is the biggest thing possible, are there other universes contained in some super-universes, contained in other bigger containers and such....

And if there are bigger things than our universe, like I said previously,can our human brain only imagine it, understand it ?

Rosco..Jones likes this.
  10. Wildstar

Wildstar Junior Member

I believe there is something bigger called hyperspace. It is infinite and I dont think anyone can ever comprehend it. Heres an article on hyperspace. Some call it the bulk.
    Brane cosmology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. jon

jon Active Member

obviously its everywhere where things aren't.

but is it nothing???????

or is it like...fish cant see water.....you cant see space...?

hmm

if it is nothing.....then does nothing go on forever?
    things that are, are finite but when their is an absince of something there is no need for it to have a stopping point...theres nothing to stop..

well.....its not going on....its ....uuhh..not doing anything
    matter is obviously expanding so retrace it all to 1 point that means the big bang...
    but you cant make something out of nothing
    energy in not created or destroyed..but it does change. changes posision, state, and direction
    i believe in steady state that just keeps going into a black hole,then blowing up over and over again.

but if all matter goes into one black hole before it explodes again then, that would be the beginning and the end of time.
    because time is a measurement of change, but if all matter is in one point then there are no two points in space to measure it...also (if a tree falls---) whos to say that time ever existed at all...

Harte likes this.