What makes people think aliens will be peaceful?

nvangogh

If we look at the history of humans, we have not become more peaceful over time. We have become more violent and developed the capacity to blow the whole world to bits.

Just 2000 years ago there were wars but there were no smart weapons of mass destruction as now. As we have evolved we have become better at war, so why do people think that just because aliens have technology to travel between stars they will necessarily be peaceful?

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
If they have survived the evolution period between now and the development intergalactic travel then they must have sorted out their differences. If not they would blown themselves up.

A few of the many races that visit here do not have our best interests at heart.

nvangogh

If they have survived the evolution period between now and the development intergalactic travel then they must have sorted out their differences. If not they would blown themselves up.

A few of the many races that visit here do not have our best interests at heart.
If there are more than one species it does not follow that they would have 'sorted out their differences'. What if each species occupies it's own planet and simply keeps away from it's enemy?

Itheblaze

Some may be living on this planet now, because theirs got blown up or polluted. This was good picking for a planet. Great farm stock of DNA, water, air. With shape-shifting tech, they can blend right in and be our world leaders.

BlastTyrant

If they were hostile nothing we have can stop them, and realistically they could of taken over earth before we got as technologically advanced as we are now. Not all ET are peaceful but the majority of what we deal with now are.

But one can never fully tell till they drop in and talk to us, but will our fear and hostility force their hands?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I'm of the opinion that we have already been invaded conquered and occupied. The educational community is a prime example of how we are being controlled by disinformation and fictional science.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

While all the other arguments are valid, I tend to be with you here, Snake. It would take such incredibly huge efforts to reach that point in a civilization's evolution, that every single individual would have to work towards that goal. Not only a few, like we're doing here and now.

That said, we can say that there will always be bad people, right? So, even though that civilization reached the intergalactic travel phase of its existence, those bad people will use any technology that is available to spread pain and destruction wherever they see fit. Kinda like terrorists crashing planes in buildings...That makes me think of Khan in Star Trek. Most, if not all humans are peaceful, but he's one very bad man who wants to mess up everything.

Both answers are right. Wouldn't it be naive to believe we won't bring our wars to space during the next millennium? We can only hope we won't.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I agree with Snake... Humans are emotional creatures, and not always logical... Aliens seem to be logical. If they were that evil, (at least the ones that visit Earth and have mastered intergalactic travel) we wouldn't be having this discussion. :)

light

actually we are the hostile not the aliens. well i understand that we dont know them yet but most of the aliens that can travel are good ones . we just need to understand their natures

HDRKID

Maybe the question should be if the aliens are already here among us. People have reported alien beings for thousands of years. Slowly, the truth is coming out.

1 Corinthians 1:27
For God has chosen the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and He has chosen the weak of the world to shame the mighty.