Who will survive

HDRKID

I see trouble coming. Yeah, as in a cascade of catstrophes and a deluge of disasters that will take many away. However, who will survive?

TAKEN FROM http://247wallst.com/2011/11/28/best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-an-analysis-of-all-50/2/

California is the only state in the country to be rated A-, the lowest rating ever given to a state by S&P. Despite the huge amount the state spends each year, conditions remain poor. California has the second-lowest percentage of adults with a high school diploma in the country, the second-highest foreclosure rate and is tied for the second highest unemployment rate in the U.S.

Wyoming comes in first place in 24/7 Wall St.’s Best Run States for the second year in a row. The state has high marks in many categories including high school graduation rate. A whopping 92.3% of state residents age 25 or older have at least a high school diploma — the highest rate in the country. The state also has the fourth lowest rate of violent crimes and the sixth lowest unemployment rate. Wyoming has the smallest population of any state in the country.

BTW, Nebraska was number two, that is where Steven Gibbs is from, and number three is ND - North Dakota where 40 below is common.

I believe that extreme cold weeds out morons. Those people who say "There is no such thing as winter because we live in an endless summer." Fact is they do nothing to prepare. Well, a cold hard winter is coming. Back in 2005 I said, summer is over. Well, now I say - FALL IS OVER!

John Titor said:

How do most people die during the war?In this order: Starvation - Disease - Bullet Wounds - Radiation.
You said that there will be a big war. Can you at least tell us which cities will be nuked?No I won't do that. However, I submit to you that when the moment comes it will be absolutely plain as day that you are unsafe in the cities. The millions people that stay will choose to stay. That's what comes as a surprise.

Crethox

Let's just say about the graduates and all that, that wouldn't be a given that they automatically have a higher chance of survival. Maybe they have had more theory on the subject but the most important part is the practical ability to survive and the will to. Not everything can be learned from books alone.

After the first period of surviving is over, yes then I can see people with degrees in engineering, doctors etc would be important. But then in my opinion you are talking about jump-starting civilization again, not basic survival.

HDRKID

Hi GH:
Life will be hard for many years. I often talk about those unlucky enough to survive. Still, life goes on.

Hi Crethox:
It is my wish to bring back old tech and create a new age. Yeah, one using vapor power. Perhaps, I am a steam punk, but it is a lot better than no tech I tell you. After the war we can set up telegraph wires. Case in point, look at the fall of rome. Lots of our technology was lost and it took hundreds of years to bring it back again. Most important thing is keep a watch on some religious ugly dudes that want to burn witches at the stake instead of living in harmony and peace.
buzz-houses-futuro-flickr_981c619f0f1642d0217b61182c94aae0_3x2_jpg_570x380_q85.jpg

Oh, years ago, I dreamed of an exciting future filled with robots and flying cars. Sadly, not anymore.

Crethox

I agree on the tech part getting it up and running again if something happens.

I was merely talking about the first period when everything is gone and basic survival is your only option until anything better comes along.
In the case of basic survival in the first period there is no discrimination in what kind of degrees you have who will survive.

Even the non-intellectual could survive using brute force alone, not that that would help them in the long run when there is nothing left to steal/plunder and you have to use your brains to survive.

Point I'm making, who will survive? Is it about the first period, a short time after a catastrophe. Or in a period some time after that when rebuilding "society" occurs.

Still I'm not very fond of "ranking" people by the diploma's they have. In my case I could have gone to university and study whatever I wanted there, but my interests lay elsewhere and there weren't any colleges in that field at that time. Even so I met a lot of people who are studying for a bachelor or a masters degree, and I keep thinking to myself. How the heck did they manage to be accepted to even start studying? Ranking people whether they have degrees or not is in my opinion not the way to ascertain if a person is bright enough.