Debate why I don't believe in travelling to the past

unholy_dragon

The reason I Don't believe in travelers from the future is the paradox caused by timelines.

I believe in alternate realities, every moment a timeline branches off. If a traveller entered a past, the timeline would branch out where he entered it leaving the original without change.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Following this, wouldn't the timeline thing actually solve the paradox issue?

Like everytime something serious would end up in a paradox, the timeline shifts into a new one, bam! No paradox.

For instance, the fact you travel back to the 1900s and accidentally kill your grand, grand father, would make it so that you never exist. No worries though, the instant you arrived, it created a new timeline distinct from the one you came from.

Does that make sense?

But ... It would kinda mean you can't visit the actual past. And you possibly can't return to your original timeline. Right?

Wind7

Staff
I have been facinated with the idea of TT for awhile thanks to television and movies. ( Dr. Who...H.G.Wells Time Machine...etc)

There was an interesting premise brought up in the last Avengers movie. (Endgame)

unholy_dragon

Following this, wouldn't the timeline thing actually solve the paradox issue?

Like everytime something serious would end up in a paradox, the timeline shifts into a new one, bam! No paradox.

For instance, the fact you travel back to the 1900s and accidentally kill your grand, grand father, would make it so that you never exist. No worries though, the instant you arrived, it created a new timeline distinct from the one you came from.

Does that make sense?

But ... It would kinda mean you can't visit the actual past. And you possibly can't return to your original timeline. Right?
Your reply is correct that you cannot get to the actual past but a copy of it.

Martian

I respectfully disagree. Most people examine the topic of TT with a linear logical mindset, such as would be found in a logic class in a comp sci curriculum. There is, however, an alternative: open or closed feedback loops, as found in controls engineering. The result of a feedback loop is a system which can be either stable or unstable. The TT version of this would suggest that the most likely series of events, regardless of time travel, is a stable feedback loop. It would most likely be extremely difficult to destabilize the timeline.

:)

OakFieldAlienz444

I think this makes perfect sense---the stuff the OP said.
This is why a lot of things alleged time travelers or predictions hardly ever come true is because
these people are only seeing one possible future or past. Nothing is really set in stone and
everything is happening all at once at the same time so what we end up in is completely random
and is only set in stone for the period in which it happens.