Why is this Forum

Arctor

I'll check it out.

What operating system are you on? Are you on windows?

An iMac OSX Yosemite.....Did not know there was anything else. Gave up Windows years ago....

I am a linux fan myself, but some windows only software keeps me from abandoning windows all together. I am currently trying to remove a virus. A problem i never had with linux.

LisaTiffany

There actually might be something going on here, I went to load the Time Machine Experiments Page and I was instantly redirected to what you see in the image below. I was wearing a headset too and the voice that came with it was like this "What would you do if I said you could win the lottery" I cut the volume before it could continue but it was pretty loud.

spamalot.jpg

And now this, folks be very careful not accidentally clicking on any of those links. I run a lot of adware blockers and it's still getting through so it's a bit worrying.

spamalot1.jpg

spamalo2.jpg

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Lisa Tiffany

This does sound like your machine is infected with a virus. I never click on any messages that popup in my face. I usually attempt to close the browser when that happens. If you lose control of the browser, immediately start task manager and terminate your browser that way.

If no virus or adware is found, then try uninstalling the browser, and reinstalling without saving any settings.

I have an add on that doesn't allow flash cookies. That could be why I'm not seeing the problem yet.

LisaTiffany

Oh I can assure you it's not my machine, I have a techguy regularly sweep both my laptops almost weekly and nothing like that has ever gotten through. Every other page I visited today has had nothing like it and that's easily over 50 different sites. On all of the other sites I visit the ads aren't getting through especially the flash ones. Whatever this is might be embedding itself into the page by trying to launch either a URL redirect that leads to spyware or it's trying to launch itself as extra code while the pages load.

The strange thing now is the ads have changed back to the usual ones that show up - smokey the bear - financial institution's - etc. Earlier it was all get rich schemes so perhaps the ad service itself was hijacked. It can and does happen which would mean any other page that uses that particular ad service would also have been changed.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Our previous ads service, the one that sent us Smokey the bear ads, has indeed been hijacked last month. That's why we moved away from them to a new more reliable and secure network. You shouldn't see Smokey the bear ads anymore since at least 2 to 3 weeks now. If you do, your browser is not loading the latest, up to date version of our pages.

@LisaTiffany Now, those redirects are not something I'm familiar with. Such things were never reported. Maybe you can try with another browser and see what happens.

For the other issues reported by Arctor and PoisonPen, I have a pretty good idea what it is. It probably has to do with the way Youtube videos are embedded in the forum. @Poison Pen @Arctor Can you test if it only happens on pages that contain Youtube videos? Does it happen on pages that do not contain Youtube videos such as this one?