World War IV

pauli

World War IV

You've lost me.

Sorry Paul, I thought the meaning was a bit clearer. I know that people are afraid that just because Bush has certain powers then it is just as obvious that he is going to use them. Isn't that what you were inferring by your comment?

If not, then maybe I did not understand you. But, if so, it reminds me of all the rhetoric that people were spouting off when Regan was president. People were really afraid of him too. There were even large "peace rallys," where people carried placards about not Nuking other countries.

While watching a program called, "The Reagan Years," they mentioned that people were absolutely convinced that he - as a religious Christian - was looking to speed up Armagedon because then Jesus would be coming back and the world would know peace. Upon hearing this rumor, President Reagan was horrified. He asked the person who told him that rumor, "I can't believe anyone would think I would ever want that."

This is what I think is happening about Bush too. People are afraid and they are spinning all kinds of ideas about him. We can't trust him, look at all the power he has. No one can have all of that at his finger-tips and not eventually use it. Really? :huh: Is it possible that maybe he can overlook such power. Maybe people are once again misjudging here.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with limiting that power. That is something upon which we can agree. But just because someone has something, it doesn't necessarily mean they WILL use it. That is what I meant about having restraint. So far, it has not been used. Let us hope it will remain that way.

I know, I am being naieve here, eh? :(

StarLord

World War IV

One of the disturbing off shoots is the constant skirting close to the edge in regards to religion that W has been pulling. I can take most things but when that fool starts to talk about when Americans pray for him and he can feel it....
For some reason it reminded me very much of a Reverend named Jones a few years back that led his congregation to Freedom in the jungle of British Guyana.

Judge Bean

World War IV

Originally posted by StarLord@Oct 21 2004, 04:03 PM
One of the disturbing off shoots is the constant skirting close to the edge in regards to religion that W has been pulling. I can take most things but when that fool starts to talk about when Americans pray for him and he can feel it....
For some reason it reminded me very much of a Reverend named Jones a few years back that led his congregation to Freedom in the jungle of British Guyana.

God told me that Bush has to go.

StarLord

World War IV

Too bad he could not be recalled by his Alma Mater WAY down south where there is never any rest or cold beer and the temp is a un-blissfull 750 degrees F and the prince of death and darkness reigns. Way, Way, Down South. Of course, I would not be surprised if that caused an uprising and they even booted him out of hades.

Judge Bean

World War IV

Originally posted by StarLord@Oct 26 2004, 09:25 PM
Too bad he could not be recalled by his Alma Mater WAY down south where there is never any rest or cold beer and the temp is a un-blissfull 750 degrees F and the prince of death and darkness reigns. Way, Way, Down South. Of course, I would not be surprised if that caused an uprising and they even booted him out of hades.

Them Southerners is always on about having some sort of rebellion or nother. That Deep Deep South they don't even calls them Rednecks, as theys all red in the altogether.

sinister

Re: World War IV

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"pauli\")</div>
This is what I think is happening about Bush too. ?People are afraid and they are spinning all kinds of ideas about him. ?We can't trust him, look at all the power he has. ?No one can have all of that at his finger-tips and not eventually use it. ?Really? ?:huh: ?Is it possible that maybe he can overlook such power. ?Maybe people are once again misjudging here.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with limiting that power. ?That is something upon which we can agree. ?But just because someone has something, it doesn't necessarily mean they WILL use it. ?That is what I meant about having restraint. ?So far, it has not been used. ?Let us hope it will remain that way.

I know, I am being naieve here, eh? ?:([/b]

I think it's true that everyone deserves a chance to show their restraint, respect, and morality (not the religous kind, the regular, everyday kind), especially when it comes to leaders. However, in Bush's case, I have to say you're wrong to say 'it has not been used'. There are troves of examples of how it has been used. 9/11 happened, we gave more power to Bush, many American citizens were wiped away and placed in what I can only call internment camps in Guantanamo Bay, we invaded Afghanistan to find the ring leader of the 9/11 attacks and ended up not finding him and instead taking the country as our first foothold in the Middle East, we were then lied to about the existance of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, we then invaded Iraq causing much Iraqi and American blood to be spilled, alienated most of the rest of the world, and then we re-elected him (I use 'we' loosely here). I'm sorry, but is there anything in that list that suggests a careful use of massive amounts of power? That's not even to mention all the real responsibilities our president has domestically that have been neglected.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
Too bad he could not be recalled by his Alma Mater WAY down south where there is never any rest or cold beer and the temp is a un-blissfull 750 degrees F and the prince of death and darkness reigns. Way, Way, Down South. Of course, I would not be surprised if that caused an uprising and they even booted him out of hades.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Paul J. Lyon\")</div>
Them Southerners is always on about having some sort of rebellion or nother. That Deep Deep South they don't even calls them Rednecks, as theys all red in the altogether.[/b]

Hey mods, you gonna let them talk about us like that? I thought one of yin's was in Nawlins.

CaryP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
Hey mods, you gonna let them talk about us like that? ?I thought one of yin's was in Nawlins.[/b]

Harte,

I'm in Baton Rouge, and if it had been anyone but StarLord and Paul I might have taken offense. But both of these gentlemen are known for their wit, humor and comedic posts, along with a good amount of wisdom. It's cool. I consider both of them friends. And I think their commentary was directed at George Bush, which I agree with. Thanks for the heads up. Good to see some Southern pride in the place.

Cary

Timmy G

Quote StarLord: In my humble opinion, the war on drugs is a govtmental backed scheme to make it as hard as possible for others to do what they are doing already. You are cutting into their profit.

Although it doesn't have much to do with the thread topic, I felt the need to share this bit of information. Since I live in Illinois, it was easy to hear about this 10 year study, which was done by the University of Illinois regarding the D.A.R.E. program.

Illinois Study Finds DARE Graduates Using More Drugs than their Peers- A University of Illinois study released this week, like virtually every previous study on the topic, found that the popular DARE program (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), in which police officers teach third graders about drugs, does not work. Disturbingly, the study actually found higher rates of drug use among DARE graduates than their peers. \"It hurts me to sit here and tell you that DARE does not work,\" said Dr. Dennis Rosenbaum, head of the criminal justice department at the University of Illinois. \"But it's time for us to go back to the drawing board and figure out how it can be improved or what better ways we can spend our money on drug education in this country.\"

Article found HERE

What war on drugs? :huh: