Wormhole Time Travel Possible (If You're a Photon)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
dnews-files-2014-05-wormhole-670x440-140521-jpg.jpg

The idea of traversable wormholes has been science fiction fodder since Einstein first theorized their existence with the formulation of his general theory of relativity, but do wormholes even exist in nature? Actually, we have no idea if they exist or not, but if they do, theoretical physicists have proposed that they could act as portals into the future and the past or connect two distant regions of space.

But before you grab your Grays Sports Almanac and get ready for some temporal mischief, there’s one huge caveat to this idea — only photons may travel… and even photons may be too much of a stretch for the hypothetical shortcut through spacetime.

In a paper published to the arXiv preprint service (and submitted to the journal Physical Review D), theoretical physicist Luke Butcher of the University of Cambridge has revisited wormhole theory and potentially found a way to bridge these notoriously unstable entities.

In the late 1980s, physicist Kip Thorne, of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), theorized that to make a wormhole ‘traversable’ — as in to actually make these spacetime shortcuts stable enough to travel through — some form of negative energy would be required. In the quantum world, this negative energy could come in the form of Casimir energy.

It is well known that if two perfectly smooth plates are held very close together in a vacuum, quantum effects between the plates will have a net repulsive (or attractive, depending on the plate configuration) effect between the two. This is caused by waves of energy being too large to fit between the plates, causing a net negative energy between the plates when compared with the surrounding “normal” space.

As realized by Thorne and his Caltech team, this Casimir energy could be applied to the neck of a wormhole, potentially holding it open long enough for something to pass through.

Read more:
Wormhole Time Travel 'Possible' (If You're a Photon) : Discovery News

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Why not just send your body though time, faster then the speed of light!
And not use wormholds or black holds.

Last edited:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Why not just create a portal using oscillation and resonance? (Nothing to do with the Gibbs HDR, at least I don't think). :)

In my time travel notebook, the speed of light isn't even a factor. I even wonder what happens to sound if it were to travel at the speed of light.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Why not just create a portal using oscillation and resonance? (Nothing to do with the Gibbs HDR, at least I don't think). :)

In my time travel notebook, the speed of light isn't even a factor. I even wonder what happens to sound if it were to travel at the speed of light.

I like your post, Good thinking. Your very close to the answer.

TimeFlipper

dnews-files-2014-05-wormhole-670x440-140521-jpg.jpg

The idea of traversable wormholes has been science fiction fodder since Einstein first theorized their existence with the formulation of his general theory of relativity, but do wormholes even exist in nature? Actually, we have no idea if they exist or not, but if they do, theoretical physicists have proposed that they could act as portals into the future and the past or connect two distant regions of space.

But before you grab your Grays Sports Almanac and get ready for some temporal mischief, there’s one huge caveat to this idea — only photons may travel… and even photons may be too much of a stretch for the hypothetical shortcut through spacetime.

In a paper published to the arXiv preprint service (and submitted to the journal Physical Review D), theoretical physicist Luke Butcher of the University of Cambridge has revisited wormhole theory and potentially found a way to bridge these notoriously unstable entities.

In the late 1980s, physicist Kip Thorne, of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), theorized that to make a wormhole ‘traversable’ — as in to actually make these spacetime shortcuts stable enough to travel through — some form of negative energy would be required. In the quantum world, this negative energy could come in the form of Casimir energy.

It is well known that if two perfectly smooth plates are held very close together in a vacuum, quantum effects between the plates will have a net repulsive (or attractive, depending on the plate configuration) effect between the two. This is caused by waves of energy being too large to fit between the plates, causing a net negative energy between the plates when compared with the surrounding “normal” space.

As realized by Thorne and his Caltech team, this Casimir energy could be applied to the neck of a wormhole, potentially holding it open long enough for something to pass through.

Read more:
Wormhole Time Travel 'Possible' (If You're a Photon) : Discovery News
I thought this posting from Num7 back in 2014 might be worth showing again :)