Worst time travel movie ever?

Ayasano

Well, I guess when most of your work is plagiarized, it's not hard for them to get it right, since they've seen it all before. :p

And as far as Stephen King, it's funny you mentioned him as A) He is who I was thinking of that actually DOES involve himself in the process, and B) I'm watching IT right now, lol.

I still hated the ending to the movie adaptation of the Mist. :D (Haven't read the book)

Scarlet005

I tried watching that a few times. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't know it had been a book. Is it about time travel?? It didn't seem to be.

The only time travel book I can think of at the moment besides TT's Wife that was made into a film is A Wrinkle In Time. They made a TV movie out of it. It was awful. To my knowledge it only aired once, so I'm assuming no one else liked it either. I say "time travel" book, but really, even though L'Engle's series is called the "Time Quartet", there's no actual time travel until the third, fourth, and fifth books. "Quartet" is also a misnomer. It's actually a quintet.

I'm sure there are others, those are just the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Ayasano

I tried watching that a few times. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't know it had been a book. Is it about time travel?? It didn't seem to be.

The only time travel book I can think of at the moment besides TT's Wife that was made into a film is A Wrinkle In Time. They made a TV movie out of it. It was awful. To my knowledge it only aired once, so I'm assuming no one else liked it either. I say "time travel" book, but really, even though L'Engle's series is called the "Time Quartet", there's no actual time travel until the third, fourth, and fifth books. "Quartet" is also a misnomer. It's actually a quintet.

I'm sure there are others, those are just the only ones I can think of at the moment.

The Mist has nothing to do with time travel, I was just saying even though he had a hand in its production, I still hated the ending. :D

titorite

No it was movies. This thread is about time travel movies... If it were about books... I'd recommend Heinleins first novel called "for us the living" Don't get me wrong, I love Heinlein. "Farnums free hold" would be a favorite. But that book had a plot device.... "For us, the living" had nothing... dude gets into a traffic accident, poof time travel. And while he is in the distant future all his knowledge about artillery ballistics gets man to space... It was written before rockets became a thing and before Heinlein had perfected his craft.

Scarlet005

No it was movies..

Planet of the Apes (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After you mentioned it, I vaguely remembered that when they recently had a marathon of the old ones, I found out it had been a book/book series.

And I know thread was about movies, but I thought you were replying to what I said about the fact that I couldn't think of any other TT books that were made into films.

But look ^, you were right, even though that's not what you meant, lol. :D

I've only seen the first one, but yeah, it was god-awful. I don't even consider it to be science-fiction, just a bad action film that makes no sense.

The fact that the future humans can talk makes the other primates' dialogue stupid. It also completely destroys the entire premise of the original films (and probably books), which is how ridiculous our ancestors' arguments were for why humans couldn't have evolved from apes.

There no way I'm wasting money on watching the others, and I'm probably not going to waste my time, either.

Ayasano

I've only seen the first one, but yeah, it was god-awful. I don't even consider it to be science-fiction, just a bad action film that makes no sense.

The fact that the future humans can talk makes the other primates' dialogue stupid. It also completely destroys the entire premise of the original films (and probably books), which is how ridiculous our ancestors' arguments were for why humans couldn't have evolved from apes.

There no way I'm wasting money on watching the others, and I'm probably not going to waste my time, either.

I haven't watched the remakes of the original films, but the prequel Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a pretty good film. No time travel elements though unless you count a passing mention of the original ship going missing. I haven't seen the sequel yet so I can't personally comment on that, but from what I've read it wasn't nearly as good.

Scarlet005

l liked the originals. The new ones don't follow the same storyline. The only "time travel" I know of in the first one (of the newer films) is when the chimp arrives way later than the guy. But I think that's more supposed to be how time is different when travelling through space rather than actual time travel.

I didn't waste any money. I watched them on TV. I saw the second one. It's been on television already too. It didn't really seem to have anything to do with the first one, so that was weird. I'm not sure how it's a sequel. I THINK the third one does follow the second though because Caesar is in it.

The original films definitely had more of a "political" bent to them. They were ahead of their time, and I'm surprised they were as successful as they were considering the norm of mainstream society at that time.