Debate Would you be willing to be the bad guy?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What you'll do for your group's survival, might be good for you guys, but not for another group. Does that make you a bad guy? Yes and no I guess.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
If something really bad were to happen, an apocalyptic scenario, I honestly don't think I'd want to be one of the survivors... Freeform is right, there will always be an attempted pecking order to follow.. I'm not strong enough to survive! Lol. But being that I'm a woman in her child bearing years, I guess I'd be stuck repopulating anyway...

Justinian

You know what's fun about posting here? If you ask this question on the street, you'd get the answers by the book. Here, there is a better chance that someone is going to post that due to the changing timeline of the future, and my psychic powers, I can see that you are going to eat everyone and be confused for a zombie.

Just saying I have always loved Paranormalis due to the out of the box answers everyone gives. Love it.

Back on track, of course most people would try to find a group and stick with it but have you ever thought of those shows where the supposed bad person comes in at the end of the world. They're all alone, didn't have a group. Maybe that's why they're deemed bad due to the decisions they had to make while solo?
- You're all alone in New York city and you've scoured the city for years looking for people so you know for a fact you're alone. Suppose some cataclysm happened that made a giant moat of lava around the city and you can't get out and nobody can get in. Now the normal person is going to start running out of food after the first few weeks. So you are all saying you wouldn't start breaking into your neighbors homes to get food and water? What about breaking into the power plant to try and figure out how it works to make sure you keep your power?(not sure if NYC has a power plant, just an example) And breaking into numerous other buildings to try and keep things that you want, ie; food plants, water plants, sewage.. Then you start running across animals. Ones from the zoo, cats, dogs, rats, whatever... you're saying you won't eat them?

I don't believe it. I think there will always be a situation that can come up that will always put someone in the situation of being what in a normal scenario would call a bad guy or else die.

Now you say, oh well of course I'd do what I have to do to survive, but then all of a sudden.. in the blink of an eye everyone is back in the city, you're not all alone. The lava moat is still there but all these neighbors are wondering why their shit is gone. So now you really are the bad guy.

During this whole ordeal, before people show back up, do you go on thinking and acting "good" in hopes that this return will eventually happen, or do we keep surviving? I'm saying we survive. I don't think there is a person out there that wouldn't try to or want to survive. Even suicidal people if placed in a scenario like this would most likely be thrown for a loop and revert their thoughts to that of survival.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I think the only way to know for sure how any of us will act in these situations is if they actually happened and we're put to the test... I may not think I'm strong enough to survive, but then again, I've never been endangered. I've never had to fight for survival..

kcwildman

Beastmaster
When SHTF, regardless of the scenario, things are going to get rough. Certain decisions are going to have to be made. Will you eat your pets? Will you pillage the homes of the dead? What about the homes of the living? I think most people will start searching homes for usable items. You will doubtless run into home owners that have not barricaded themselves in and are lying in ambush for tresspassers. Will you be ready to actually kill that person?

As morbid as it all sounds, these are things that I don't think all preppers are prepared to think about. Bullets will run out eventually, food will become scarce as people over hunt and unwilling to be patient farmers. Just some things to think about because regardless of your intent, being a "bad" guy is bound to happen to everyone.

1: eat fluffy the dog?
yes,, with carrots and onions, it's a meat source for the stew.. and a barking mut is not good
2: search homes of the dead?
yes,, and bury the body's I find..
3: raid the living?
no,, avoid them totally
4: self defense?
yes,, quote Bruce Lee here ( the art of fighting without fighting) proper recon, and threat assessment of your area will allow you to avoid those who are doing the fighting. a little time and patience will keep you from being caught in there traps.
5: kill the bad guys?
NO,,killing a human is NOT,NOT,NOT, NOT an option ((no amount of food, guns, water, clothes)) is worth the life of me, you, or anyone..

BlastTyrant

When it comes down to a Them or Me situation or a Them or my Family or group situation, then sadly for them their time has come.

I would be willing to raid houses that were un-inhabited but if someone is there they can keep it, I would NOT be willing to eat my Dog or cat.

Self defense is something i am capable of being 5'10 260 pounds former state wrestler along with a good amount of fire arm training and reloading abilities, my draw back is i cant kill animals, i cant shoot one let alone field dress one, and my farming skills are mediocre at best, i have landscaping experience so that can help, and being a northerner the first thing i would do is head south because i know how harsh and rough winters are and i highly doubt anyone without huge out doors experience would be able to survive a Minnesota winter without modern luxury's. So i am sure the warmer states would be battle grounds as most people would head south.

Or maybe staying North would have that advantage, less people, so that means less people to fight over stuff with?
If you can set-up something to survive the harsh winters "Plenty of cabins up north" and as long as you have sufficient fire wood/food/water it could be done. I did think of the Ammo shortage and that is why a few years back i invested in a Bow, quieter, re-usable ammo, and it may be difficult but you can make ammo as well.

Now if someone with hostile intent try's to take that from me then yes i can be the bad guy. But it is also a 50/50 i would love to be in a situation like that but at the same time i doubt i have the skills to last a significant amount of time alone.

Just think of the mental toll.......Constant paranoia over someone coming to take your stuff, the worrying about supply's, it would be very nerve wracking and i bet a lot would just commit suicide.

BlastTyrant

Hell i live in Minnesota with modern luxury's and still don't want to deal with it lol

You may have to put up with people come Spring through fall but almost all would run come fall and the cold and snow starts.

TnWatchdog

When SHTF, regardless of the scenario, things are going to get rough. Certain decisions are going to have to be made. Will you eat your pets? Will you pillage the homes of the dead? What about the homes of the living? I think most people will start searching homes for usable items. You will doubtless run into home owners that have not barricaded themselves in and are lying in ambush for tresspassers. Will you be ready to actually kill that person?

As morbid as it all sounds, these are things that I don't think all preppers are prepared to think about. Bullets will run out eventually, food will become scarce as people over hunt and unwilling to be patient farmers. Just some things to think about because regardless of your intent, being a "bad" guy is bound to happen to everyone.

1: eat fluffy the dog?
yes,, with carrots and onions, it's a meat source for the stew.. and a barking mut is not good
2: search homes of the dead?
yes,, and bury the body's I find..
3: raid the living?
no,, avoid them totally
4: self defense?
yes,, quote Bruce Lee here ( the art of fighting without fighting) proper recon, and threat assessment of your area will allow you to avoid those who are doing the fighting. a little time and patience will keep you from being caught in there traps.
5: kill the bad guys?
NO,,killing a human is NOT,NOT,NOT, NOT an option ((no amount of food, guns, water, clothes)) is worth the life of me, you, or anyone..
I agree with what you are saying wildman, except eating poor fluffy...poor dog wagging it's tail amongst the carrots and onions. Now stewed rat would be a different story.