Zero Divergence

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Is zero divergence a myth? I'm inclined to believe it isn't.

Zero divergence is acceptable in mathematics. Look up Vector Calculus. Titor even uses a vector as an example. I don't see why it couldn't be applied to the universe. It's an equation. Why would his returning back to his original universe be so difficult? Once that path is made, why would another universe need to be created when you could potentially back track?

IMHO -- Titor was telling a white lie.

trekie4ever

They always do that. Riddles. And we are stupid and dense enough to fall for them Lol. They leave evidence and signs of their presence everywhere.

paradox404

As with everything, there is always more than what meets the eye. This is especially true with John Titor.

Zero divergence is possible especially if changes in a timeline do not alter the past of the time traveler, you could even erase people/things from the timeline, and in theory there shouldn't be much in divergence if any. But then again the theory I present here refers to relative divergence. Absolute on the other hand I don't think an exact 0% could be achieved, just a divergence number that is infinitely small (Like the universe directly next-door.), but still more than 0%.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Zero divergence would be returning "home". It's mathematically possible, so I believe that with the right technology, a time traveler could return to his original timeline. A point of origin is also a mathematical concept.

Kuroo

How about this: We live in a multiverse of alternative realities with so called timeline zero which is the median timeline of all the timelines. Once the timeline diverges enough from the timeline it might simply cease to exist. Timelines have also relative lifespan that means that you can't go further back in history than to a certain point. This is however my pseudoscientific rabble.

Earthmasque

Zero divergence would be returning "home". It's mathematically possible, so I believe that with the right technology, a time traveler could return to his original timeline. A point of origin is also a mathematical concept.
I think this would apply even if the traveler has altered the past.

Assuming the multiverse, the altered past would not be the actual past of the traveler. When he arrived "home," he would find his past unchanged.

The traveler would have to return to some point in time that is after his departure for that to work.

I have taken Vector Calculus, during my years as a Math major in college (switched majors later.) I recall it quite fondly, as a matter of fact. It is one of the more beautiful fields of Mathematics.

Well, better than Set Theory, anyway.