10 Things Your McDonald's Drive-Thru Worker Really Wants You to Know

10 Things Your McDonald's Drive-Thru Worker Really Wants You to Know
BBqcroM.img

© Getty 10 Things Your McDonald's Drive-Thru Worker Really Wants You to Know

While my high school friends were lounging around our local pool as lifeguards, or answering phones in a perfectly air-conditioned office, I was running around a greasy McDonald's drive-thru. Four years of blood (ew, just kidding), sweat (not in the food, don't worry!), and tears (yes, I did cry a few times) taught me a lot about the fast food industry. So here are the 10 things your McDonald's drive-thru worker (me) really wants you to know.

1. Ordering sauces at the drive-thru window will take 10x longer. A 10-piece McNugget meal comes with two sauces for free and at some McDonald's you'll be charged for any additional sauces. So if you pull forward to the window and ask for a third barbecue sauce, I will have to take your extra money, run over to the closest register, wait for the person who's actually assigned to that register to finish with their customer, ring in your sauce, get your change, grab the sauce, and then bring them to you. This whole drawn-out process can just be avoided if you order your extra sauce at the speaker box with your meal.

2. Yes, you will be charged for the cup of water. Like extra sauces, some McDonald's locations charge for a cup of water. It's only a few cents to cover the cost of the paper cup, but your drive-thru person has to charge you. So please don't order the water at the drive-thru window in the hope that you won't be charged, 'cause dude, I just work here - I don't make the rules.

3. "Regular" is not a size. McDonald's doesn't have some fancy lingo for the sizes of its meals, like Starbucks. There's just small, medium, and large sizes for most meals. So when I ask you what size Filet-O-Fish meal you want, don't order a "regular." If you do I'll be forced to guess whether you mean small or medium, and on most occasions my guess is wrong.

4. Vegetarians: Ordering a cheeseburger with no meat is actually cheaper than ordering a McDouble with no meat. A lot of vegs will order a McDouble without meat, so they can get a warm bun with cheese, onions, mustard, and ketchup for cheap. And even though McDoubles are on the Dollar Menu, the regular cheeseburger is a few cents cheaper. You might only be saving 2 cents per order, but if you do that 55 times, that's another no-meat burger you get for free!

5. I didn't make your burger. I get it – it's super annoying to have someone mess up your lunch order, but please don't bring the sass with me. I entered your order into the computer correctly, but whoever made your burger in the kitchen (ie: not me) must have slipped up and given you no pickles when you asked for extra. I'd be happy to get you a new burger, but please don't tell me "you messed up my order," because I didn't.

6. If you come in at 9 PM, you probably can't order a Frappé. The McCafe machine is cleaned out with cleaning solution every single night. If you come in an hour before close, it's likely that the machine has already been cleaned for the night and your order won't be filled.

7. No, the food is not disgusting behind the scenes. Like any restaurant, McDonald's works under strict health codes. We are constantly cleaning on the job and "secret shoppers" come through almost weekly to judge how our restaurants are running. Rest assured, if a McDonald's worker did anything unsanitary, they'd be fired outright.

8. I'm not giving you free food. Sorry, Guy I Worked With On A Bio Project Three Years Ago, I will not give you free fries. I'm not risking my job, so you can save $2.17.

9. The greeting at the speaker box is a recording. You've probably heard this a thousand times: "Hi! Would you like to try our new [insert food item here] today? Order when ready!" Sorry to pull the curtain, but the Wizard isn't real. It's just a recording, so please don't say "what?" afterward, just order your meal, so I can get you your food ASAP.

10. We work our butts off. Working at a fast food restaurant may not seem like an important job, but don't get it twisted, it's hard work. You're constantly being timed, expected to do everything at once, and have to deal with sassy customers with a believable smile plastered to your face, even if all you want to do is cry. It's extremely stressful and most people quit after their first day. Please don't belittle my choice to make money by "flipping burgers," because this job has taught me a lot.

TnWatchdog

I like those McDonald's 'gut bombs' and their fries. I can usually eat them, drive down the road, and not spill all over myself like the burgers from other locations are prone to do.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
EEww! I don't want an extra lettuce this time.

I didn't know people would order cheeseburgers without meat. That's fascinating.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Don't you love it when you order something at the drive-through, and for some reason, they're unable to make it quickly enough, so they ask you to move away from the window, to some parking spot? We call it the parking of shame. You gotta wait there and an employee will get out to hand you the missing item that took so long to prepare. So weird.

Apparently, I'm replying to every McDonald's thread on the forum right now. Hang tight!

samzeman

1. Ordering sauces at the drive-thru window will take 10x longer.

Never understood why people do this... I think they expect to get the sauce free. At least at Domino's delivery they don't expect to be able to get sauces off you. Like dude I'm 8 miles away from the store, I do not carry random sauce with me (except stolen, for myself)

2. Yes, you will be charged for the cup of water.

In the UK everywhere that serves food or drink has to provide free potable water on request legally. Neat little plus side to living where I do.

3. "Regular" is not a size.

Tell me about it. People used to come in and ask for a "Small" at Domino's... which is the second smallest pizza, and is 9.5 inches across. The smallest is Personal at 6 inches, which is the same size as the garlic bread thing. A customer once got into a steaming argument with our manager about this, which ended with the customer leaving, yelling "go back to your own country" and slamming the door. LOL just another tuesday. I wonder if she ever reported me (for standing by and not doing anything??) and my manager. Probs not. I also hear people ask for just a normal pizza. It's like the most customizable food and they ask for normal.

4. Vegetarians: Ordering a cheeseburger with no meat is actually cheaper than ordering a McDouble with no meat.

This is pro. I used to order two regular burgers and a separate fries because it came out cheaper than a big mac and fries. No longer. Now it's chicken mayo that leads the way for incredibly cheap meals there. It's still 99p here.

5. I didn't make your burger.

I don't relate - if a customer complains I was long gone in Domino's thank god. And boy did they complain. Every other pizza was quote unquote "stone cold" - because that is the phrase that ensures a refund. :) Thank god I didn't answer the phone.

6. If you come in at 9 PM, you probably can't order a Frappé.

This really annoys me but it's understandable. I remember when I ordered a meal at a "24 hour" McDonalds and waited in the car park in a numbered space. They eventually came out and said "did you order? we're closed". Great use of time. It looked like they were having a meeting inside the store. This actually happened twice in a row.

7. No, the food is not disgusting behind the scenes.

The only disgusting part of franchised food prep is usually the excessive plastic waste. Lol

8. I'm not giving you free food.

Here at Domino's we give out plenty of free food. Workers get the reject orders ("take this to the dumpster outside" means "take this to your car to eat after your shift") and customers simply say the phrase "stone cold" to get a refund :D

9. The greeting at the speaker box is a recording.

This is one of the most annoying things about the US and one of the most annoying things I can imagine, because we don't have greeters or greetings here in the UK. If a store has a greeter I get creeped out. Why are they getting paid to say hello to me. I mean I'm autistic so I also don't really get the point of greetings anyway, but it's even stranger from someone who is acting on behalf of a corporate entity and does not actually want to talk to me.

10. We work our butts off.

You can say that again, I fully agree. Anyone thinking of a food service job, pay attention to the part in your contract that says something like "Your main duties will include all those necessary for the general running of the store to include but not limited to:...." and then the fact that the stuff included there is basically everything it could ever take to run the store solo. And it's not limited to that. Basically you will do every part of it. If I'd stayed at Domino's they would have taught me to spin out the pizza dough and answer the phones. I said no to that. I was a delivery driver lol.

IlluminatiArchbishop

Your profile makes me think of where I went to highschool lol we went from being the Aledo Green Dragons to being the Mercer County Golden Eagles. Anyhow McDonald's was quite popular there especially after school hours when people would line up and wait almost all day to get their McDonald's fix