1000 years old?

John

1000 years old?

I ran by this article the other day. I thought of how many more advancements this, if became possible, could lead to. Please read: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm

However, several other assertions came to mind. First, if people could live for say 800 years, then how would science adapt. For example how much more could Einstein have taught us? Would he even have tried to expand our understanding of everything so diligently? What I am wondering is, "If time became less significant, would we work as hard, be as ambitious for strive so far as we do with less time?"

It is a common theme of man that time is precious and should not be wasted. However, if time became abundant, then perhaps the philosophy would double back on itself as the universe. Wasting time, lower ambitions for the first 400-500 years might be common. Thereby this would slow the advancements in science and technology altogether.

Or would man aspire to do more? Having reached what we now consider to be semi-immortality would we strive to reach farther and faster? Consider the possibilities of space exploration that could be achieved with longer life expectancies. Currently a round trip ticket to Mars, with no layover or time to research, is around 3 years. An average astronaut is around 35+ years of age. This means that of their remaining years 10% of their life, assuming they went to Mars, would be spent on a boat in space. Though many would volunteer, the rewards vs. the cost are hardly worth the venture. Ergo, we are trying to find ways to launch mid-space. Now, expand that life expectancy. Given we have adequate resources; the astronaut would be more likely to spend a longer tour of Mars. The time away would seem as nothing.

What are your thoughts on the impact of science on science; what is the impact on semi-immortality on societal advancement?

Zoomerz

Re: 1000 years old?

What are your thoughts on the impact of science on science; what is the impact on semi-immortality on societal advancement?

overcrowding?

Z-

CaryP

First up, it's good to see you posting John. You've been missed bro. Interesting article there, but I wouldn't want to "hang around" for 1,000 years, especially in the circumstance we find ourselves. And I agree with you, that if people knew they had 1,000 yrs. or so, motivation would be diminished. Sex, drugs and rock and roll would be the order of the day. August addressed this very phenomenon in a post in the last few days. Overcrowding is the other concern as Zoomerz pointed out. The earth is beyond carrying capacity now. We have Peak Oil, weird weather patterns that are causing flooding in some areas, draught in others, and the avian or bird flu (once it mutuates to transmit between humans rapidly - 70%+ mortality rate) all go against the grain of 6+ billion people plus the birth of new generations of parents with 1,000 year life spans. The planet can not sustain life for the "plague" that humanity has become on the planet. Everyone still reading, take a deep breath. I'm not advocating mass human extinction so the planet will be able to sustain those who remain. The planet will take care of that on its own.

I just don't think that humans, with the over population we have now, will be able to have the general populace living for the 1,000 years proposed or advocated by the article. There ain't enough "stuff" to keep everyone alive. But it's very interesting to think of living that long. I'm just not up to being part of it.

Cary

StarLord

There is another side to that coin. The impact of Science on Humans. Unchecked and untested we are in for a world of hurt. Look at what genetic engineering has done to 'recent innovations' with our crops.

sosuemetoo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"John\")</div>
However, several other assertions came to mind. First, if people could live for say 800 years, then how would science adapt. [/b]

John,

First of all I want to tell you that you have been missed. I hope to see more of you. *hugs* to you and yours.

Second, when I skimmed through your post and link, the first thing I thought about was the Bible. For those that take the Bible literally, there were people that lived this long.

I'll post again once I've put more thought to your questions. Your post and link are very thought provoking.

StarLord

Didn't someone cover the 'age' thing awile back and show that it was a translation mixup? Or was that a different time line?

thenumbersix

Lets be honest if we get the capability then we will do it and be damned of the consequences, seems to be human nature to do things then worry about cleaning the mess up after, if at all.

I can see us growing old much slower. By the time our organs start to fail we will be able to order replacement parts grown for our own DNA. We already have seen a human ear grown on the back of a mouse.

The simplest answer to living that long is that anyone undergoing the treatment are not allowed to have children at all, if they do they must give up further treatment and allow their offspring to 'replace' them after nature takes it's course. At least until we find ourselves another planet to live on.

I can see nature getting a bit annoyed by this though and introducing even nastier diseases than we have now to finish us off. Earth seems to have an answer for everything else, why not overpopulation and relentless caning of its' resources, is only a matter of time before it strikes back, there are signs of it happening already.

Zoomerz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"thenumbersix\")</div>
Lets be honest if we get the capability then we will do it and be damned of the consequences, seems to be human nature to do things then worry about cleaning the mess up after, if at all.[/b]
Yes, most definitely, if an "immortality" method is found (and I see no reason it won't be in the near future), look to see a "select" few elitists covet the technology for themselves. In fact, I would be very surprised if that research weren't already underway and tightly held. Eventually, you may be right that the masses will benefit from it, but not in the short run.

I can see us growing old much slower. By the time our organs start to fail we will be able to order replacement parts grown for our own DNA. We already have seen a human ear grown on the back of a mouse.[/b]
In 1900, the average lifespan of a male u.s. citizen was 47 years. As of 2000, it is just short of 80. Not quite double. Further, a child born today is expected (if nothing changes) to live 125 years. And all this is without cloning technology and organ replacement.

The simplest answer to living that long is that anyone undergoing the treatment are not allowed to have children at all, if they do they must give up further treatment and allow their offspring to 'replace' them after nature takes it's course. At least until we find ourselves another planet to live on.[/b]
Try explaining to Christians (the majority of western civilization) that they cannot have children if they wish to live longer years. Now, I suppose there could be an "opt in" and "opt out" approach taken whereby a person could "extend" their years for awhile until they wished to have children, and then stop the treatments (go off the pill if you will heh) and finish out their life. That has interesting possibilities. But in the end, I believe the concept would collapse as too many "file swappers" would "find a way" to cheat the system.

Z-

Heinrich Hundekok

For about a century we have known how to increase life length and quality through eating correctly and doing small amounts of exercise. How many people actually follow these simple instructions?

Cures for tuberculosis and malaria have been known for decades. How many people in need of these cures have access to them?

A cure for AIDS is around the corner. In time, who will benefit from it?

H.H.

zakman

What would I do with a 1000 years? I would spend a good deal of that time learning all that I could. The more you know the better informed and efective you become.

I might spend 50 to 100 of those years perfecting Tai Chi and trying to bring my body to a perfect state.

Another 50 to 100 years trying to find my soulmate.

Another 100 years learning and perfecting music in all forms.

Another 100 years Learning and perfecting science and physics.

Another 100 years learning and perfecting Psychology and states of mind.

Another 100 years or more learning and perfecting other artforms such as photography, painting, clothing design, House design, Industrial Arts etc.

How about spending 100 years traveling to all parts of the world?

Finally I might end up spending 25-50 years writing books and scripts.

There are lots of things to do with this much time!