72 unseen galaxies

Num7

Administrator
Staff
This makes me attempt to imagine how huge the universe is... how it is ridiculously huge beyond comprehension.

I'll provide the obligatory Fermi Paradox quote here. Where's everyone?!?
  • There are billions of stars in the galaxy that are similar to the Sun, many of which are billions of years older than Earth.
  • With high probability, some of these stars will have Earth-like planets, and if the Earth is typical, some might develop intelligent life.
  • Some of these civilizations might develop interstellar travel, a step the Earth is investigating now.
  • Even at the slow pace of currently envisioned interstellar travel, the Milky Way galaxy could be completely traversed in a few million years.
According to this line of reasoning, the Earth should have already been visited by extraterrestrial aliens. In an informal conversation, Fermi noted no convincing evidence of this, leading him to ask, "Where is everybody?" There have been many attempts to explain the Fermi paradox, primarily either suggesting that intelligent extraterrestrial life is extremely rare or proposing reasons that such civilizations have not contacted or visited Earth.

Fermi paradox - Wikipedia

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Num7 - Good, thought-provoking find you've got there! While it is indeed interesting, there are a few things I'd like to point out.
  1. There may already be interstellar travel from Earth being done in secret, and the world's governments are keeping the secret.
  2. Aliens have been visiting the Earth for millennia, it's just that the governments are convincing in their attempts to debunk such knowledge.
  3. Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source out there. In fact, in many ways it's not that reliable at all.
@AstrophysicsGirl - Nice find on your part as well! I don't think I can read that entire article in one sitting, but it's important to know that there's likely billions of galaxies out there, if not, more.