9/11 Commission

PyRo99

9/11 Commission

"failure of imagination". Honestly, can anyone sit there and imagine that two airplanes would crash into the World Trade Centers, force them to implode killing thousands, and then also a plane crashing in Pennslyvania?

"We must become on the offensive". You just said that we need to step-up our interior and now you want us to become offensive as well?

Add your complaints, or optimism.

Judge Bean

9/11 Commission

I guess that that means that the terrorists were highly imaginative-- more imaginative than CIA wonks and unelected DOA bosses.

Hmm. That's the source of the crisis? The "offensive" must be a concerted effort to read the works of Rev. Dodson and Lear to government employees, so that they will be better able to imagine disasters. At a tender age, such employees and agents ought to be sent to innovative daycare centers where they learn to make puppets out of shoeboxes. That should do it.

StarLord

9/11 Commission

Don't forget pin-hole cameras. Those will come in handy later in Keep Your Eyes Open 101 "Watching and Tracking Bad Guys & Devil Men"

PyRo99

9/11 Commission

Well honestly, they could only place them on planes airport hubs, security checkpoints.

I remeber flying last year from Cleveland to Cincinatti and from Cinicinatti to Orlando, and there was virtually no security at either Cleveland or Orlando, and from Orlando we were flying to Atlanta to Cleveland.

One of the biggest cities in the USA, and they virtually have no security anywhere. They really should just throw out the "new and improved" security at these so called "new" checkpoints. But they shouldn't just throw them out yet, throw them out after they have a new plan that can be enacted almost immediately.

Throws 4 cents in the air and loses 2, and remains with 2 cents.

Unintentional

9/11 Commission

I would not say the muslim extremist were more imagitive. It takes no brains or imagination to tear down what others have built. A two year old at the beach is just as imagitive when he encounters an unwatched sand castle. What one positive thing have muslim extremist produced? They have not even produced any one thing that is even moral. (I define morals as actions which tend to safeguard the human race.)

StarLord

9/11 Commission

Smuda, that's an easy question.

The proper way to wrap that towel around your head to make you look more intelligent and fearsom. Although these days all you get to see of these brave and fearless folks is them wearing masks so they cannot be identified. Hmmmm.......

HackimerRob

9/11 Commission

WHOA WHOA, okay. Excuse me Starlord. I refuse to acknowledge your statement as intelligent conversation
"The proper way to wrap that towel around your head to make you look more intelligent and fearsom." I feel this statement is derrogatory, and uncalled for in this discussion. The Sikhs are not a terroristic society, and they wear turbans as well. With all due respect, please retract this statement or I will be forced to imagine you as the two year old on the beach with the sandcastle.

Thanks.

Judge Bean

9/11 Commission

Originally posted by Unintentional@Jul 23 2004, 10:58 PM
I would not say the muslim extremist were more imagitive. It takes no brains or imagination to tear down what others have built. A two year old at the beach is just as imagitive when he encounters an unwatched sand castle. What one positive thing have muslim extremist produced? They have not even produced any one thing that is even moral. (I define morals as actions which tend to safeguard the human race.)

No one is saying that one group is more imaginative than the other-- except for the ridiculous Commission, which, you see, blames the whole incident on a "failure of imagination." I.e., we failed to imagine, or foresee, the attack. If that is true (which it is not, by the way-- to have foreseen it would have made it something other than a terrorist surprise attack, right?) then it may follow, as true, as a corollary, that the terrorists have more imagination, and that that is why they are able to victimize us.

You see the absurdity of the government position by highlighting a logical extension.

The issue actually is whether or not the government should be in the business of sitting around trying to imagine all possible forms of threat to the United States. This is apparently what the Congress imagines is the role of the "intelligence community." To generate episodes of the XFiles or the Twilight Zone, this would be a good way to spend your time and money-- but the public time and money?

Modern history shows that it is not the wisest thing for the government to do to sit around and think up what they call "scenarios," which, inevitably, are scenarios of doom that call for more defense spending, but, at times, are also scenarios of doom that call for preemptive war, which calls for more defense spending.

In one respect, the Commission is flat wrong: our imaginary enemies clearly outnumber our actual ones.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
9/11 Commission

If the US sat around doing that, making preemptive strikes and so-forth.... The US would be the only country in the world left....

Come to think of it, they probably wouldn't mind that.

Something in the administration stinks, and people are about to find out what it is.