A Certain Dowsing Rod of Lore

Orpheus Rex

Tonight I am busy writing a paper on Aristotle's On The Soul for school and I remembered something.

I recall my father (a geologist) telling me about a friend (probably was just an acquaintance) from the same class of his back in college who did his master's thesis on dowsing rods, which may seem odd for a geology department. Apparently the guy made a dowsing rod that was designed to be able to find any element in earth. It was a prospecting tool. From what I understand, the core of the rod was designed to be replaceable and the user would have a set of cores to be used in it. By changing the core, you could change alter what the dowsing rod would target. He compiled a list of cores and what substances responded to what cores.
Basically, this dowsing rod is an uber-powerful tool.
I want to find more info about it. Too bad I don't talk to my parents.

BlastTyrant

Well i suppose i could see that, I do not see how it would be possible by todays dowsing rods, via the 2 L shaped pieces of metal. Granted i suppose if you attatch a bowl of some sort to it and place the mineral in there then it is possible.

Old fashioned ones used of branches i do not see that being possible.

I do believe a true user has to have some Psychic ability, i Googled it here and found the Betz Controversy
T
he study leads me to believe the successful ones may ether be Psychic or be more in tune with earth "Think Wiccan or Druid"

Orpheus Rex

I think the idea behind it had to do mainly with electromagnetism and that the cores were all types of metal so that certain alloys could be used to catch slight variations in a localized area. The guy did a lot of statistical stuff with it, you know, judged its accuracy rating. I think it would be cool to have one of those though... like... "hey, girl, wanna see my dowsing rod, it's solid gold." :cool: lol.