A possible theory on observable time

Mario Duncan

Should time travel exist I would love if someone (particularly a physicist) could verify the specific science behind my hypothesis on a theoretical level. Im not sure if anyone has ever thought about this but because of Einsteins theory of relativity we know that time is relative which is key here. Should you take off on a rocket that travels a distance of 1 light year at lets just say 2 light years per hour you would reach the light year mark in what would be an hour for person on board. The ship moved twice the speed of light and so it would take an additional light year for the light from the "Present Time" to reach you from this position in space . Imagining that there is a device that could accurately magnify on to the earth like a giant telescope for instance that could clearly see earth from this distance and its inhabitants then what would be visible would be the events that transpired a year ago from the present time as the light from that time would be visible to your eyes because the light from the present moment at which you left hasn't reached your eyes yet meaning that time travel is possible however only observable.
This explains the lack of participants in Steven hawking time traveler party as anyone who could have received the invitation could attend because the events of the party have already happened and are only observable. This would mean that tampering with timelines would not be possible and any time traveling paradoxes like if you were to become your become your own grandfather all Marty Mcfly style would not be possible because you could not assimilate into the previous time only observe from your position in space and time. This would also eliminate the idea of multiple timelines because if timelines cannot be tampered with one cannot generate multiple timelines by changing a past event, The only possible theory at that point would be that there are multiple time lines that just simply cannot interact with one other which would could not be proven definitively with any evidence or scientific theory im aware of with my 11th grade education. Additionally the formula to produce the amount of observable time you wanna see should be something along the line of T(time you want to observe ) is equal to the speed of light(c) multiplied by the amount of years you want to observe so T=nc which may be oversimplified im not sure but thats the basic idea. so to observe the instance 10 years ago you need to move 10 light years away and observe earth. Also I would like to point out that there wil be no sound when observing because not only does sound travel significantly slower than light especially at such a distance but sound needs an ideal medium to travel like air which most certainly is not found in the emptiness of space.
Let me know if theres anything wrong with this hypothesis I would love to hear additions and criticisms

Last edited:

NIXIE

I am not sure what your hypothesis is, but I have seen the same idea you are wondering about in an episode of Star Trek from the 1960s! haha
-ps. Wouldn't it only take 30 minutes to travel 1 light year away at a speed of 2 light years per hour?

I found the episode for you and you can read about the idea you are pondering in the "Continuity" section:
: The Squire of Gothos - Wikipedia

.. I don't think a one way trip to outer space really has anything at all to do with time travel though- just the observation of light traveling over a far distance.
but if you flew out and then returned to earth at faster than light speeds you would be "back in time"... Only then would you have time traveled.

haha I remember my time traveler friend telling me about me posting this one now...
people will do something similar to this in the future, but I don't think there is a way to get back to the future using the same method!

And finally, I apologize, I am no physicist! I am just a guy with pretty much less than a good high-school education! Although, I truly do have experience with real time travel, which is kept secret from the public for so many reasons... The main one being to keep people from the truth about life and "Jesus Christ"/YHWH = GOD!

Last edited:

iamonarch

--I didn't read any of anything anyone posted (including the op), which is rude I know, but I just had to say:
--A theory on observable time, huh? I got one for ya'...A clock.
--...BOOM X D

Harte

Should time travel exist I would love if someone (particularly a physicist) could verify the specific science behind my hypothesis on a theoretical level. Im not sure if anyone has ever thought about this but because of Einsteins theory of relativity we know that time is relative which is key here.
What's also key here is that the very same theory doesn't allow for faster than light travel, or even light speed travel, at least by any object that has a rest mass.

Should you take off on a rocket that travels a distance of 1 light year at lets just say 2 light years per hour you would reach the light year mark in what would be an hour for person on board. The ship moved twice the speed of light and so it would take an additional light year for the light from the "Present Time" to reach you from this position in space . Imagining that there is a device that could accurately magnify on to the earth like a giant telescope for instance that could clearly see earth from this distance and its inhabitants then what would be visible would be the events that transpired a year ago from the present time as the light from that time would be visible to your eyes because the light from the present moment at which you left hasn't reached your eyes yet meaning that time travel is possible however only observable.
If you could go faster than light, that would be the case.
You've heard of "escape velocity" - the velocity you have to reach to be able to exit a particular gravitational well. Think of light speed as the escape velocity for the universe. That's actually the same idea - you won't be in this universe if you break the speed of light.
When you slow back down there is nothing to suggest that you would return to the universe you came from, which is equivalent to changing timelines.

Additionally, you fail to account for time dilation, which would mean that, even at "only" the speed of light, the reference frame you left behind would experience an infinite amount of time passage when you arrived at your destination. So you'd be a LOT later to Hawking's party, even if you did observe it.

Harte

NIXIE

Harte = smart... NOT! hahaha

haha sorry just kidding / having some fun

I'd just like to know where you think you would end up if you weren't in the universe anymore... ?

Last edited:

Harte

Good question.
Exactly the same thing is true for an Einstein-Rosen Bridge (wormhole using a black hole.)
It's obvious that hitting c (light speed) would result in you exiting the universe, since:
A: From all that we know, the universe has a limit on velocity so you can't pass that limit in this universe.
B:

Here is the equation for time dilation: Here is the equation for contraction of length:

8860 8861

In the first equation, t is the time that has passed on your space ship, t' is the time that has passed in the reference frame you left (Earth, presumably.)
You will note that the term (called the Lorentz Factor) in the denominator reaches zero when you hit the speed of light.

That would infer an infinite amount of time passing on Earth.

If you can return, how can you return to an infinitly old Universe?

In the second equation, you can see that when you hit c, your observable length becomes zero. I'd remind everyone that this works in both directions (the observer is, in fact moving away from you from your perspective.) Therefore, to the traveler, it is the universe that shrinks to an infinitely small point. At that point, there's no real reason (no theoretical or mathematical reason) to believe that the traveler maintains any connection to the reference frame he came from.

Harte

NIXIE

I'm not sure I understand these "outside the bounds of physical reality" equations...
I can't understand how something that is existing and known can ever become a "zero" only because it makes sense for an equation.
I don't see how a "zero" can be considered equal to "infinity".
Math is definitely not my strong point, and sometimes I'm not sure it even makes sense at all.. haha. Maybe I am just dumb.

Harte

Take a look at the Lorentz factor, which appears in all The Special Relativity equations:
See what happens to the term on the right when v gets close to c? That fraction approaches the value of 1.
We know that 1-1=0
This results in the Lorentz factor becoming equal to zero.
In the length equation I posted, that would mean the observable length would be zero,
That's length in the direction of travel, by the way.

If length becomes zero, the universe becomes a 2 dimensional plane when you hit c. But you remain 3 dimensional.
You are outside the universe then.

In the time dilation equation:
the Lorentz factor also becomes zero when v=c (you're at the speed of light.) But this time, it's in the denominator.
Dividing by zero is undefined. But we CAN see what happens as the Lorentz factor approaches zero.
First, you should note that the Lorentz factor itself has a maximum value of 1. That would be when you have no velocity (v=0.)
At that point t'=t.
In this equation, as the Lorentz factor (denominator) gets smaller and smaller the value of t' increases.
It's hard to write this arithmetic lesson in this editor, but let's let t equal 1, and let the velocity increase.

As v increases, the denominator decreases. Remember the Lorentz factor starts at a value of 1 and can only go down from there.

Once the Lorentz factor becomes equal to 1/2, the value of t' is 1 divided by 1/2, or 2.

When the Lorentz factor reaches a value of, say, 1/10000, the value of t' has increased to 10,000 (meaning for each day on the ship, 10,000 days have passed on earth.

You can take it from there.

Harte

Edit: Take special note that, if v is greater than c (meaning your velocity is greater than light) then the Lorentz factor become the square root of a negative number. That's not a problem at all mathematically. Such numbers are called imaginary numbers in Math, and a combination of real numbers and imaginary numbers is called a complex number.
There is an entire field of mathematics that deals with these numbers.

But if you graph a complex number, you have to use a plane to put your points on that doesn't correspond with our reality in any physical way.
Therein lies the disconnection with our universe when you cross the speed limit c.

H

Last edited:

NIXIE

So you are saying that the visible light spectrum which forms our current "observed reality" is equal to "the universe"?
I still don't see how a "Lorentz factor" could equal zero, but maybe it could approach zero.. never reaching it somehow.

I can't even understand equations at all for some reason, maybe some spell that was put on me...I am pretty dumb, sorry.