Acupuncture for Anxiety

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Hi,

I'm dealing with quite a bit of anxiety recently, so much that it almost prevents from functioning normally. Everyday is an battle within to survive until the end of the day, and I feel like I'm always on the edge of cracking up and curling up into a ball under my desk at work, or on the couch at home. It's overwhelming at times and I'm unable to pinpoint ONE thing that causes this, or one event that makes me feel that way. It's like... everything and nothing. Man, I don't recognize myself... I have to do something to get rid of that shit!

So, I decided to go ahead and try acupuncture, as folks seem to be positive that it helps with anxiety, stress and all that sort of things. Never done it before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm more curious than scared right now. Hope it'll stay that way until Tuesday night when I get there.

Let me know what your experiences are.

Thanks!

Mayhem

Zenith
Good luck with it Num, hope it works for you.

I have someone close with chronic anxiety daily medication was needed took a while to get that right now it not so bad.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Thanks man. Has this person always been dealing with serious anxiety, or did it become a problem at some point in his or her life? I'm curious to know how people discover they suffer from anxiety.

I discovered only a few years ago that I had anxiety for as long as I can remember. Just thought it was normal until I found out it wasn't. I had medication for the past 2 years, and slowly stopped recently because of the side effects. It's been going well until a few weeks back, boom. Had a huge week at work, more tired than usual, all the right parameters for anxiety to crawl back into my now peaceful life.

Mayhem

Zenith
The relative has had it building from a childhood situation.

Yes it was serious, if you have to get someone to fly and bring them back well ill leave it at that.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Hi,

I'm dealing with quite a bit of anxiety recently, so much that it almost prevents from functioning normally. Everyday is an battle within to survive until the end of the day, and I feel like I'm always on the edge of cracking up and curling up into a ball under my desk at work, or on the couch at home. It's overwhelming at times and I'm unable to pinpoint ONE thing that causes this, or one event that makes me feel that way. It's like... everything and nothing. Man, I don't recognize myself... I have to do something to get rid of that shit!

So, I decided to go ahead and try acupuncture, as folks seem to be positive that it helps with anxiety, stress and all that sort of things. Never done it before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm more curious than scared right now. Hope it'll stay that way until Tuesday night when I get there.

Let me know what your experiences are.

Thanks!

Please let us know if it works.

I found that red wine helps me with anxiety. Just one glass per night and I find my mood in general has been better.

Trekkie

I was only saying yesterday to Russell brand on another website,I find when I'm anxious about something I tend to focus on what makes me happy ,cause sometimes the attacks are bad so If I'm out at the time I think about going on eBay and buying myself something to do with my lifestyle and namely that's science fiction and I generally find that ,that alone calms me down ,unless it's just strong willed human willpower

Num7

Administrator
Staff
So, I didn't report on this in a while. I had acupuncture 3 times, over 3 weeks. It went fine, but the positive effects were short term only.

I felt great for the rest of the day, but my anxiety and stress came back after a few hours the next morning. Didn't get to enjoy a lasting effect of any kind. I did sleep very well those nights though.

So it does have a pretty good calming and relaxing effect, short term. It was a good experience all in all.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I've never experienced anxiety myself. I have read that drugs and alcohol can be a cause. I would also suggest several sessions with a hypno therapist to help flip the anxiety switch back off.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
So, I didn't report on this in a while. I had acupuncture 3 times, over 3 weeks. It went fine, but the positive effects were short term only.

I felt great for the rest of the day, but my anxiety and stress came back after a few hours the next morning. Didn't get to enjoy a lasting effect of any kind. I did sleep very well those nights though.

So it does have a pretty good calming and relaxing effect, short term. It was a good experience all in all.

It almost seems like a placebo effect. It was still good to try, though. And it sounds like you had some relief. I am not encouraging anyone to drink, but I found relief with just once glass of red wine per night and I almost have no anxiety now. It is not studied, proven, or even discussed. I just tried it and found it helped. I have no clue why. Heavy exercise helps, too, although in the beginning you'll have that tight chest from the anxiety, but it may go away and you'll make yourself so tired you can sleep. I don't know. I am probably not helping. Just keep trying many different things until you find something that works. If it starts effecting your life in a huge way, consider an anti-depressant, but keep in mind they are a long term solution (not easy to come off of and you may become dependent for life). I like the counseling idea that Timeflipper suggested. Sometimes, you feel relief after just one session because you were able to "unload" it all.

Good luck, Num. I've been there.