Again with the Anthrax

Darkwolf

Again with the Anthrax

Now, this may not be a real event. However I'd like to discuss the anthrax attacks of 01 as well. We don't have any answers as to who sent the stuff, and it was a major attack on the top teirs of our government. Its not like them to investigate that hard and not get their guy. Thoughts?

Anthrax Scare Closes 3 Military Mailrooms

1 hour, 11 minutes ago
]http://add.my.yahoo.com/content?id=6054&.s...ntagon_anthrax]
addtomyyahoo3.gif
[/url] ]http://add.my.yahoo.com/content?id=6054&.s...ntagon_anthrax]Top Stories - AP[/url]

By LAURA MECKLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Hundreds of postal workers were offered antibiotics Tuesday and many were taking them after initial tests detected anthrax in a pair of military mailrooms. Nobody reported symptoms of the disease as officials awaited results of further testing.

AP Photo
Related Links?Anthrax Overview (Yahoo! Health)

Three mail facilities were closed ? two that serve the Pentagon (]http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?f...c&c=news&cs=nw]news[/url] - ]http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=web-stor...nks&p=Pentagon]web sites[/url]) and one in Washington that handles mail on its way to the military as well as all federal offices in the area.

In more than three years since the 2001 anthrax-by-mail attacks, there have been scores of initial tests that falsely reported anthrax in government mailrooms. In this case, however, the bacteria were detected separately in two different mailrooms, raising concerns and invoking memories of the attacks that killed five and panicked Americans still raw from the Sept. 11 attacks.

Law enforcement officials have yet to make any arrests in that investigation. White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Tuesday the case "remains a priority, remains under investigation."

Asked about suspicious results this week, McClellan said initial anthrax testing was positive, secondary testing was negative but "we're still waiting on more definitive results."

He added that President Bush (]http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?f...c&c=news&cs=nw]news[/url] - ]http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=web-stor...esident%20Bush]web sites[/url]) was being kept informed about events.

Officials said all mail that passes through the facilities is irradiated, so any anthrax should have been inert when it triggered alarms.

No criminal case has been opened in response to the initial testing this week, an FBI (]http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?f...c&c=news&cs=nw]news[/url] - ]http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=web-stor...orylinks&p=FBI]web sites[/url]) official said Tuesday as officials worked to figure out if actual anthrax was present.

Environmental testing was being conducted on the two military mail locations and at the District of Columbia facility, which was closed Tuesday because it handles mail that is forwarded to the others.

Follow-up tests were being conducted at the U.S. Army Research Institute for Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Md. They could take up to three days to complete.

In addition, about 260 people were tested for anthrax exposure at the Pentagon site, officials said. These exposure tests are conducted to help learn whether anthrax was present at the site, rather than to diagnose any individual.

As a precaution, antibiotics were offered to all workers at the D.C. facility, about 200 total, and to workers at the military mailrooms, about 280 at the facility on the Pentagon grounds in Arlington, Va., and 40 more at a satellite facility several miles away in Fairfax County, Va.

Most of the 200 postal service workers offered the drugs were taking them, said spokesman Gerry McKiernan, though he did not have a precise count.

Hospitals were told to be on the lookout for symptoms including respiratory problems, rashes or flu-like symptoms that could signal exposure to anthrax, which can be used as a biological weapon.

"This is a prudent course of action. I don't think there's cause for alarm or panic or undue worry," said Dr. Gregg Pane, director of the city's Department of Health. "We've also mobilized our strategic national stockpile so we have enough antibiotics available should the need arise."

At the Pentagon, officials on Tuesday corrected information about how anthrax was discovered.

A filter on a device that screens mail for chemical and biological agents at the Pentagon's Remote Delivery Facility was pulled for testing Thursday, said Pentagon spokesman Glenn Flood. The tests take three days before results are available, he said, and on Monday morning, the tests of the Thursday filter came back positive for anthrax.

At least some of the mail that passed through the Pentagon facility may have reached distribution points inside the building. Flood said some 8,000 pieces of mail are being taken for examination.

So far, no anthrax has been tied to a particular piece of mail. Other sensing devices in the mail facility and in the Pentagon have not detected any anthrax.

Anthrax can be spread through contact with the skin. A more serious form of the disease, inhalation anthrax, is contracted by breathing in spores. After the 2001 attacks, health officials concluded that some people can contract the disease through exposure to a small number of the tiny microbes.

CaryP

Re: Again with the Anthrax

Hey, Darkwolf. Wasn't all the anthrax from '01 traced back to US military labs?

Cary

Darkwolf

No, I think it was traced to a medical lab in Columbus Ohio. We still don't know who sent it.

PyRo99

Aweee, I love how Ohio is the center of all of the BS recently.

Then again, we are the prime state to further their agenda, were like our own little country, that breeds dictators, hell look at our Govenor. Still get a kick that hes voted the WORST:lol:

In other news, Anthrax woopdiedoo? We used to care, now we don't, just another prime example of dead at the wheel. It basically is a tell to Buscho "Do as you please, the American People don't care". But subconciously, were fearing the ever loving hell outta terrorists. Reality, the doubled edged sword, which holds no predjudice.

Darkwolf

<H2>Two labs confirmed Pentagon anthrax

By Dee Ann Divis
UPI Senior Science & Technology Editor
Published March 21, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Anthrax was confirmed twice in samples collected from a Pentagon mail facility initially closed last week and then opened after being declared free of the pathogen, United Press International has learned.

The head of the company that was accused of contaminating the samples sent from that facility -- a detached building on the Pentagon grounds in Arlington, Va. - said his company had never had a false positive test before and the presence of anthrax was detected independently in the original samples by two government laboratories besides his own.

The Pentagon alarm is distinct from a second alert for anthrax that also occurred March 14 at a mail room in a Defense Department-leased building in Falls Church, Va. The entire three-building complex was closed for two days before being declared clean.

Robert B. Harris, president and chief executive officer of Commonwealth Biotechnologies Inc. in Richmond, Va., also said the anthrax found at the Pentagon was the same genetic strain used in the 2001 attacks.

The dispute over the possibility of contamination -- suggested to the media by an anonymous source -- became more heated as an automated alarm warned of anthrax at yet a third Washington-area mailroom Friday. That third alert, at Bolling Air Force Base, was triggered by automated sensors -- as was the alert at Falls Church.

The week of anthrax alarms began when the Pentagon mail facility was closed after tests on samples taken there the week before had been found positive for the presence of anthrax. The initial samples, consisting of swabs of surfaces from the facility, had been collected March 10, but the results were not received and the facility was not shut down until March 14.

The delay was not the fault of CBI, Harris said, noting CBI had tested more than 2,000 similar samples in the past two years and reported its results within 24 hours.

\"We reported our initial ...findings on (March 11),\" Harris told UPI. \"Our contracting officer told us to continue testing for further analysis over the weekend -- and that was done. On Monday ... the 14th we communicated additional test results to our contracting officer. From CBI's point of view, there was absolutely no delay in reporting the results.\"

CBI is a sub-contractor that conducts routine testing. The identity of the prime contractor who received the results is unclear. Defense Department spokesman Glenn Flood told UPI the four-day delay was being investigated.

Harris also took issue with the anonymous suggestion in news reports that his lab had contaminated the original sample from the Pentagon site.

\"It is a fact that we had a presumptive positive test come up,\" he said. \"That presumptive positive test was confirmed by us and by at least two other labs as being a true positive.\"

Carlee Vander Linden, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases in Frederick, Md., which tested the samples after CBI, confirmed that the follow-up tests on the first sample were positive and that two labs had done such tests.

\"There is a component of the Homeland Security Department that has a laboratory that is located in our building,\" Vander Linden explained. \"They have a presence here at Fort Detrick. The samples were basically parted out and there was analysis done by USAMRIID and by the forensics lab under DHS. I know that the negatives that we got were on the ones that came directly from the (mail) facility and did not pass through the contractor. The positives that we got were on samples that had been handled already by the people in Virginia.\"

Vander Linden also said: \"USAMRIID is not saying that, 'Gee, there probably was a contamination event.' I think some people are surmising that. It certainly has been reported that way. I think that we'll just have to wait and see.\"

A DHS lab did conduct confirmatory tests, said Terry Bishop, a spokesman for DOD Health Affairs, but he did not elaborate on the results.

\"It is in our mind that this was truly a positive sample,\" said Harris, adding that his technicians had done everything possible to minimize contamination and were reviewing their lab and procedures.

\"I emphasize,\" Harris said, \"in over 2,000 of these samples and tens of thousands ... of other samples we have never experienced a false-positive test.\"

In response to a question from UPI, Harris confirmed CBI also had conducted other tests on the anthrax sample, but he would not reveal the results.

\"There are lots of tests -- biochemical, morphological, genetic,\" Harris said, \"all kinds of laboratory analyses that can be done to further qualify the type of pathogen we are looking at and those tests have been done.\"

Harris also said the anthrax in the initial samples was the same strain as the organism used during the first anthrax attack via U.S. Mail facilities in the fall of 2001. This was not surprising, however, he said, because it is the most common strain.

Questions over the first alarm were still swirling when the third alarm sounded last Friday at Bolling, which is located along the Anacostia River in Washington. The alert occurred in a mail-handling facility used by the Defense Intelligence Agency.

\"This morning, the DIA remote-delivery facility was closed due to an initial positive test of incoming mail for hazardous biological agents,\" Defense Department spokesman Maj. Paul Swiergosz told UPI last Friday afternoon.

Personnel on the scene were asked to stay, Swiergosz said, and local officials were called. An FBI team conducted further tests.

As of late Friday, the follow-up tests at the scene had been negative, said FBI spokeswoman Debbie Weierman. Additional tests were planned at a laboratory.

The three alerts - at the Pentagon, in Falls Church and at Bolling -- raise concern about cross-contamination from a source of anthrax somewhere in the Defense Department mail system. All of the alerts occurred in defense-related mail facilities and in each case the alerts were specific for anthrax, several federal and local DOD spokesmen confirmed during the week.

The bioweapons sensors were not connected, UPI was told repeatedly by the spokesmen. The sensors in Fairfax and at Bolling were automatic and did not involve any CBI testing so there was no issue of sample contamination.

UPI also was told by a Defense Department spokeswoman that, in at least one case, the alerts followed the mail flow. Specifically, the mail from the Pentagon site could have moved to the Falls Church location.

The Pentagon is working to gather more than 8,000 pieces of mail that moved through its detached facility between March 10 and March 14.
</H2>

Ok, who'se sending this crap. This really smells like a homegrown job to me.​

Time Rider

No, I think it was traced to a medical lab in Columbus Ohio. ?We still don't know who sent it.

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here with my theory on the Anthrax attacks.
Back in October of '01, media outlets and Dashle's office were attacked.

Seems to me that shortly after the attacks, the Media and some Democrats began singing Rightwing praises

The guy who owns Sinclair Broadcasting and Rupert Murdoch are BIG Busheads

Sinclair Broadcasting Owns:
? The Walt Disney Company (which owns ABC )
? Time Warner Inc. (which owns CNN)
? Viacom Inc. (which Owns CBS)
?
Rupert Murdoch owns several tabloids, one being the tabloid in Florida where that woman died.

Sinclair Broadcasting & Rubert Murdoch have ?history? together, then there?s the matter of Sinclair carrying several FOX stations.

You can google this anywhere.

But they way I see it, I suspect the media and some Dems were threatened into seeing the Admins view.

Three mail facilities were closed ? two that serve the Pentagon

Interesting how we keep hearing about dissention going on at the white house and Pentagon between the Neocons and others not in favor of Dubya and the boys-
followed by another Anthrax alert.

Of course, this is my theory.... can't prove any of it, but it sure is plausible.

What say you guys?

Darkwolf

Astute conspiracy theory. However the Anthrax was mailed to some of the neocons too, and I think some was even bound for the white house. This to me has the feel of homegrown resistors who don't much care about collateral dammage.

Time Rider

:::chuckles::: some were mailed to Neocons..... and we're to take the blackmailed media's word for it...?

Okay, I am sounding paranoid.... but resistors.... that's an interesting perspective. Extremism breeds extreme behavior.

Hmmmmm..... how bout this.... the administration's popularity is once again slipping in the polls... perhaps they're trying to gain some sympathy.

But your idea of possible resistance I really like.

Darkwolf

But your idea of possible resistance I really like.

There has been resistance since the last administration put Ruby Ridge and Waco on the map. Only one act has clearly been that of a resistor, and I can't say that I condone mr. Mcveigh's tactics, nor those of whoever is sending the anthrax.

Time Rider

Just to let you know that I'm Not condoning the anthrax sending ... just resistance. Petitioning and calling your representitive and that sort of resistance isn't getting the bad boys out either.

So, what's a country to do when it's being controlled by a corrupt Govt.?

IF the voting was rigged like I personally suspect it was this last election, what are the people to do? And it's a tough question.

The French Revolution was fought by extremists wanting to get the corrupt rulers out. What followed of course was something worse than they had before. So, I'm not condoning madame guillotine or anthrax but I guess I'm hoping for some middle way to get them out.

I'm just not clever enough to figure what it could be.

Sharon