Anyone have a program to get rid of spyware!?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Back up your stuff and do a complete clean reinstall of your operating system then.

Be careful what you expose your computer to.

The Federation

Indeed formatting and reinstallation of the OS is the best bet when things become extremely corrupt.

Please PM me if you have any questions about the formatting/reinstallation process.

Thanks,
Federation

Motoko Aoyama

my dad reformatted the hard drive correctly so now there are no problens.

Hey doesnt anyone know if spysweeper makes the computer slow??? My dad's computer was more slow when he put spysweeper on his computer

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Spy Sweeper runs in the background, so it's possible that if you have a low-end computer that it could slow it down.

When you hit the "X" in the corner it will ask you whether to "Shut Down" or "Minimize". Shut down will turn it off completely, minimize will make it go away but it will still be running in your system tray. Other than that it's not possible for it to slow it down.

Glad you got it fixed.

PSY101

Re: Anyone have a program to get rid of spyware!?

Hi Guys,

If you ever have any problems about spyware or viruses on your computer that most anti-spyware programs or anti-virus scanners do not pick up, then there are a few things you can do:

1. The most obvious - Reformat your hard disk to clear everything at once and install your anti-virus/firewall and or spyware BEFORE you log onto the internet.

2. Search your startup programs by typing 'msconfig' from the RUN command. Once it opens then go to the last tab which lists which programs startup and the location in the Registry. Once you have found the corresponding file that does not look right - (most of the time a program will run from the "C:" Root Folder and then you will know it is spyware or a trojan and other times it will be in the "Documents and Settingsyour logon name" and/or "Temporary Internet Files" Folders. If you do locate any spyware or trojans then you can go into the Windows Registry to delete them from your startup folder in the registry. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING IN THE REGISTRY YOU NEED TO BACK IT UP IN CASE YOU DELETE SOMETHING THAT MAY RENDER YOUR WINDOWS TO NOT LOAD AND THEN YOU WILL BE FORCED TO USE OPTION 1!!! (Unless you know how to go into SAFE MODE to recover the backed up registry files) The Registry location of the Startup folder is HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrent VersionRun (also RunOnce, RunOnceEx and RunServices which is a biggie if you constantly have your modem downloading and uploading frequently even when idle). HKLM stands for (H)ot (K)ey (L)ocal (M)achine.

3. Delete EVERY file in the Prefetch folder. What the "Prefetch" folder does is precache the files you execute often for faster access. I have found many a time that if you just delete the registry entry and not the physical files on your hard disk, then the Prefetch folder will just load it up again.

I hope this helps you guys. If you have any questions then you can PM me.

:grin:

CaryP

PSY101,

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't trust myself to do this on my own, but I'll show it to our "computer guy". He might just learn something. Good info.

Cary

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"PSY101\")</div>
Hi Guys,

If you ever have any problems about spyware or viruses on your computer that most anti-spyware programs or anti-virus scanners do not pick up, then there are a few things you can do:

1. The most obvious - Reformat your hard disk to clear everything at once and install your anti-virus/firewall and or spyware BEFORE you log onto the internet.

2. Search your startup programs by typing 'msconfig' from the RUN command. Once it opens then go to the last tab which lists which programs startup and the location in the Registry. Once you have found the corresponding file that does not look right - (most of the time a program will run from the \"C:\" Root Folder and then you will know it is spyware or a trojan and other times it will be in the \"Documents and Settingsyour logon name\" and/or \"Temporary Internet Files\" Folders. If you do locate any spyware or trojans then you can go into the Windows Registry to delete them from your startup folder in the registry. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING IN THE REGISTRY YOU NEED TO BACK IT UP IN CASE YOU DELETE SOMETHING THAT MAY RENDER YOUR WINDOWS TO NOT LOAD AND THEN YOU WILL BE FORCED TO USE OPTION 1!!! (Unless you know how to go into SAFE MODE to recover the backed up registry files) The Registry location of the Startup folder is HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrent VersionRun (also RunOnce, RunOnceEx and RunServices which is a biggie if you constantly have your modem downloading and uploading frequently even when idle). HKLM stands for (H)ot (K)ey (L)ocal (M)achine.

3. Delete EVERY file in the Prefetch folder. What the \"Prefetch\" folder does is precache the files you execute often for faster access. I have found many a time that if you just delete the registry entry and not the physical files on your hard disk, then the Prefetch folder will just load it up again.

I hope this helps you guys. If you have any questions then you can PM me.

:grin:[/b]

Bad idea if you are not fully conversant with your O/S, or if you get stuff embedded within the system.

For XP users with a registered copy, Microsoft have a Beta Spyware/Malware/Trojan/Scumware/Tracker package that is actually very, very good and does all the above and more without wrecking XP. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

For those with others O/S' or unregistered XP Installations, you can Dl Lavasofts Adaware SE from here: http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910...page&tag=button

Adaware is very good, but you do need to buy the upgrade at about $15.00 (ish) to get the most from it.

Check around Download.com for others too, loadsa good stuff in there.