Are you a Prepper?

Justinian

Still trying to find info on the briquettes.. I'll post it when I find out. Someone has to know something. But honestly I think there are extra chemicals in those that wouldn't make them good for it. BUT, there is probably a way to clean them.

Justinian

Yup.. I was correcto..

what is the difference between activated charcoal and charcoal briskets. Can regular charcoal be used in a filter?

Says in one of the comments near the bottom of the page that briquettes contain chemicals and are unsuitable and possibly lethal to use for water filtration.

Edit: Correction.. Just found this information on eHow.com

" If you have pure charcoal briquettes that contain only pure charcoal and a starch binder, and no other chemical additives, then you can use these. If the briquettes contain starter fluid or another contaminant, do not use them. If you happen to have access to refined activated carbon (perhaps a refrigerator water filter), then use that. Otherwise, you will have to build a fire. Use regular wood for the fire, not chemically-treated fireplace logs. Remove the logs from the fire when they turn black and crumbly. Do not let them burn to the point where they become gray or white ash."

Read more: How to Build Your Own Emergency Water Filter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5607268_build-own-emergency-water-filter.html#ixzz265HQE3AB

Justinian

In other survival news.. Has anyone seen these videos of lighting fires with your pee? I was amazed. I'm going to have to try this. You basically make a little balloon of pee inside some saran wrap. Then use your pee balloon as a magnifying glass to start the fire. I'm checking into ram starters now. Acrylic rods inside acrylic tubes that you slam down hard and its supposed to spark I guess.. Lot's of neat things out there that some really bored people are figuring out. I mean who sits around and figures out that peeing inside saran wrap can ingite a fire? Thank your God for youtube and people trying stupid things I guess. But really, I am amazed at this.

BlastTyrant

I have Recently invested in a Compound bow and a 30 .06, Prepping also makes sure you can defend what you have worked so hard to aquire.

trekie4ever

Does anyone have a nice list of things that would be good to know can help in situations not really intended for.

What I'm asking is for something like this:

Cayenne or black pepper is great for stopping bleeding on cuts of any size and keeping it sterile. May burn like heck but better than dying.

Basically things that you probably won't pack but have great alternative idea.

A... 'If you see this grab it for this use" list

Octavusprime

1. Anything that can be used to get, hold or purify water
2. Salt. A million uses. Food preservation, attracting animals, cleaning wounds, necessary nutrient, flavoring etc.
3. Duct tape. A million uses.
4. Non power tools. Saws, hammers, hoes, shovels, hand cranked drills, sewing machine. Basically anything from pre electricity era. Those tools are made to last steel and iron not plastic and aluminum.

Justinian

Trekie, I've seen a book on just what you want, but I can't remember the name right now. It's something like common uses for everyday items or something like that. I know there are several books out there like that.

I personally have a lot of books with survival ideas and instructions.

HDRKID

I wonder what the new world will look like when the police state is gone. Certainly things will be different than now. Most of the information I have on the future is via remote viewing. Not sure on long term accuracy. However, most of our infrastructure is no more.

RYNO-12_270x405.jpg