Are you a Prepper?

Samstwitch

I wonder what the new world will look like when the police state is gone. Certainly things will be different than now. Most of the information I have on the future is via remote viewing. Not sure on long term accuracy. However, most of our infrastructure is no more.

Have you posted somewhere about what you see in the future? I would be interested in reading about what you have seen, if you could direct me. :)

Justinian

I found a really good source of info recently. I know there are a lot of prepper websites out there and different sites on everything. But I was recently searching on how to nitrogen pack food. Apparently, potato chips and things like that are packed with nitrogen to increase its shelf life. So the topic I'm researching is on how to nitrogen pack your own food. Some things already have a shelf life of 30yrs +. But www.lds.org yes I know it's a religious website and I'm an atheist, but they actually have a lot of information on different prepper subjects. They have one of the best put together tables on different foods and their associated shelf life. So for those interested in that subject check it out. Interesting to note and very important. White rice has a life of 30+ yrs. While brown rice only has a life of 8 yrs. Please don't go buying nitrogen and blow yourself up. It is a fairly complicated process of regulating pressure so you don't explode the container and send pieces of shrapnel into your body.

Octavusprime

All you need is a regulator. The technique most preppers use is to throw a hand warmer in their container before sealing it. The hand Warmer's consume the oxygen leaving CO2 which is inert like nitrogen. The gas layer prevents oxidation as well as killing any resourcing critters.

You could also just use CO2 if you paintball, have a kegorator etc. just open the valve and slowly fill the container. CO2 is heavier than air and will sink in the container.

Good resource btw. I've been slowly stocking up. The majority of my bulk food is as follows.

White rice
Dry beans
Sugar
Salt
Canned food (all kinds)
Huge jug of olive oil
Vinegar
Bullion cubes flavoring for rice and beans
Dehydrated soy "meat". Chicken/beef from costco
Dehydrated milk
Powdered eggs
Flour
Loose leaf tea

With the above I can make bread, cookies and stew. Canned food is mostly veggies. Not the most extensive list but should be nutritious while storing well.

What's on everyone else's food list? I plan on going to the store today to stock up a bit more before Fridays world going away party.

TnWatchdog

All you need is a regulator. The technique most preppers use is to throw a hand warmer in their container before sealing it. The hand Warmer's consume the oxygen leaving CO2 which is inert like nitrogen. The gas layer prevents oxidation as well as killing any resourcing critters.

You could also just use CO2 if you paintball, have a kegorator etc. just open the valve and slowly fill the container. CO2 is heavier than air and will sink in the container.

Good resource btw. I've been slowly stocking up. The majority of my bulk food is as follows.

White rice
Dry beans
Sugar
Salt
Canned food (all kinds)
Huge jug of olive oil
Vinegar
Bullion cubes flavoring for rice and beans
Dehydrated soy "meat". Chicken/beef from costco
Dehydrated milk
Powdered eggs
Flour
Loose leaf tea

With the above I can make bread, cookies and stew. Canned food is mostly veggies. Not the most extensive list but should be nutritious while storing well.

What's on everyone else's food list? I plan on going to the store today to stock up a bit more before Fridays world going away party.
Water, One gallon per day per person...I got large containers for bulk storage
bleach, purify water
internet printed instructions on purifying water and other info you want
vitamins
medicine...first aid stuff
meds, such as my 90-day blood pressure medications
pet food
I am just going to do a 90-day supply and not worry about it as I am sure there will be enough to worry about. I expect sometime in the first part of 2013 we would need the stash but then again it could be tomorrow!
I would say add beer but then again it may not make it to doomsday!

Octavusprime

I have barley, hops and dry yeast packs. I'll make beer and ferment any sugar source post apocalypse. Could be a good profession for bartering... I'll give you a jug of gruel for a chicken sir!

I need more pet food that is for sure. I left out water but you are right water is the first in the list.

Samstwitch

I have barley, hops and dry yeast packs. I'll make beer and ferment any sugar source post apocalypse. Could be a good profession for bartering... I'll give you a jug of gruel for a chicken sir!

Smart thinking! Tobacco, alcohol, salt, sugar, and coffee will be big barter items in addition to ammo/guns, water and food.

Justinian

I had this idea today. Someone posted on their facebook a picture of a homeless man and his dog and how loyal the dog was to the man. Now in my sadistical thinking.. I'm thinking if this man were really hungry, he'd just eat the dog. Dog doesn't taste the greatest, but if it's cooked right, you'll never know you're eating it. So for those of my neighbors that may be storing up all that food for your animals. Keep an eye out. Cause that guard dog just could end up dinner. I'm not saying I'm going to kill my neighbors animals in TEOTWAWKI, just saying that people are going to get very resourceful and need to get creative in where they look for food.

TnWatchdog

I had this idea today. Someone posted on their facebook a picture of a homeless man and his dog and how loyal the dog was to the man. Now in my sadistical thinking.. I'm thinking if this man were really hungry, he'd just eat the dog. Dog doesn't taste the greatest, but if it's cooked right, you'll never know you're eating it. So for those of my neighbors that may be storing up all that food for your animals. Keep an eye out. Cause that guard dog just could end up dinner. I'm not saying I'm going to kill my neighbors animals in TEOTWAWKI, just saying that people are going to get very resourceful and need to get creative in where they look for food.
I don't think anyone of us will be able to sit and relax at the dinner table after the SHTF. We will be busy dealing with all the people who didn't prepare for the tough times we are in. Look how crazy people are now...can you imagine how crazy they will be once scared and hungry? It will be like Halloween night...the trick and treaters will be in your neighborhood looking for your treats. Most of them won't even be from your neighborhood, they will be outsiders. I think once the SHTF...I would immediately go to all my neighbors and form an alliance for protection from outside raiders. Also be aware of your dog barking as hungry people will be attracted to the bark for making a hotdog out of your hotdog. I think most dogs will be let loose and will be roaming the streets looking for food as their owners can't feed them. It won't be a fun time, for sure.

Octavusprime

I worry about my three cats. They will probably be the first target, dogs being last on the list of pets to be eaten.

Pet food can be expensive. I need to buy rodent traps so I can make my own. Another thing for my list of things to do...

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
You guys are talking about surviving the end of the world. Ain't gonna happen if Nibiru collides with the Earth. We're all going together to the afterlife.