Are you ready for 2012?

titorite

so I'm sure this thread will be vacant after 2013 rolls around, because all the doomsayers will be concocting their next fantastic prophecy. See you in 2013 for your excuses.

That is not logical. Their is no 2013 cross convergence time event simaler to 2012 . YOu got mayans, cayces, nostromdamasas, nasas solar activity predictions, etc etc ...... I think you are expressing over active cynicism to compensate for something... Hell most of the 2012er folks believe in a great changes scenerio anyways... not your end off the world fantasy nightmare hypothetical interpretation.

At any rate stuff may happen and stuff may not what can not be said is that other years share any kind of special attention so I doubt people will be "dooming it up" as you may think...

Techciple

so I'm sure this thread will be vacant after 2013 rolls around, because all the doomsayers will be concocting their next fantastic prophecy. See you in 2013 for your excuses.

That is not logical. Their is no 2013 cross convergence time event simaler to 2012 . YOu got mayans, cayces, nostromdamasas, nasas solar activity predictions, etc etc ...... I think you are expressing over active cynicism to compensate for something... Hell most of the 2012er folks believe in a great changes scenerio anyways... not your end off the world fantasy nightmare hypothetical interpretation.

At any rate stuff may happen and stuff may not what can not be said is that other years share any kind of special attention so I doubt people will be "dooming it up" as you may think...

I'm confused titorite, what are you trying to say? "At any rate stuff may happen and stuff may not.." Are we to believe the whole doomsday/'enlightenment scenario is now open ended? You miss the point I fear. For at least 6 000 years, nut cases of many varieties have predicted end times and a 'new world order', whatever that insinuates. And the last time I looked out the window it's still the same world, regardless of how much we would like it to change to what we want.

Techciple

This is not about what is going to occur on 12.21.2012. It is about what will happen in the 100 years that follow.

"Limits to Growth"' came out in 1972. In one of my classes, "Current Events in a Historical Perspective", we covered this pretty well. The Club of Rome utilized experts in all fields of knowledge and a stone age computer to project current trends and how society will be impacted.In the chart below, the actual 1970-2000 values were plotted and they are staying fairly close to the original projections. The decline in non-renewable resources, such as oil and various ores that mined, will start limiting everything else and begin the decline.

Around 2015-2020 the fall of civilization begins to directly affect the public and they will finally realize that something is up and it is not good. My feelings are that the population decline will be much greater than what is projected.
Economies will become more localized, as less is transported long distances due to rising fuel costs or lack of fuel. For most of the world, many will die from lack of clean water.

12.21.2012 is supposed to be the beginning of a new era, one that is more spiritual and less materialistic.
Does this go along with that idea?

limitsofgrowth.jpg
The recent study, completed on behalf of The Club of Rome, an organization which issued it’s own findings on ‘peak everything’ back in the 1970′s in a controversial environmental report dubbed The Limits to Growth (video), takes into account the relations between various global developments and produces computer simulations for alternative scenarios.​
Link:

Interesting graph, however mankind has survived thus far, and will continue to do so for some time. In Engineering, we in the last 20 years have done more to address those issues than what was done in the last century. Which I guess is an unfair comparison seeing we are a more technology driven society these days. However I have enough faith in mankind's will to survive and our innate desire to control our destiny to not lose any sleep over it. Personally I'm tired of all the doom and gloom. We'll be o.k.