bad hoaxes

Padraic

bad hoaxes

Some of you may find the topic of my post somewhat amusing, at least those of you who are more disposed to doubt my story, but I could not think of a better title. I was simply wondering about something. On the other board, there seemed to be a proliferation of people claiming to be from the future, some from a few years, some from 500 years, and one fellow from 2000 years, give or take a few years. Then there were a couple people possibly in the same situation as me, Christ from 1993, and that fellow from the Civil War who seemed believable. (I went back and read his story after I posted mine, to see if there was anyone else with an experience close to mine.) Most of those people from the supposed future were identified rather quickly as hoaxes, or were at least doubted by most people who read their posts. I even had a running dialogue with one who seemed to be somewhat clueless and couldn't understand the most basic forms of humor.

This brings me to my question. Why did that board seem to attract those people, while this board doesn't? The only people here claiming any experience are Chris, HDRkid, and myself, and HDR doesn't claim to have done it physically. I get the impression that most people who want to perpetrate a hoax do not bother with this board. Perhaps you all were rather quick to out-wit them and chase them away clinging to the tattered scraps of their stories. I find this remarkable given the benefit of the doubt that most of you seem to have given me. Is it because some of those people come across as rude or condescending with all their "I am so far advanced you could not understand if I told you" kind of talk? I do not know why there are not as many of those people here as on the other board, but the impression I get is that this one seems to offer more serious discussion of issues than that one did, with half the people on there busy trying to debunk the other half. I guess my point is this: Why has this board been spared the really bad hoaxes with all their future predictions? I'm curious.

Regards,

Padraic

Snow

bad hoaxes

Padraic,

Personally I think it is mostly due to the number of members. The old board had over 1000 members. We have less than 200. I say give them time - they will show up here.

As for the quick work we make of hoaxers - well, I see that as good and bad. We tend, on the whole, to be rather rough on people claiming to be time travelers. While we are discouraging idiots from trying to hoax us are we discouraging time travelers from making there initial post as well?

I am recalling one "probable hoaxer" who was so roughly treated and offended by attempts to trace his location that he never made his first post. After a few days of chatting he quit coming around altogether.

I don't really mind hoaxers. I find the exercise of deciding whether to believe or to doubt a fun challenge.

From the edge or maybe a little beyond . . . .

Snow Fire Watches

sosuemetoo

bad hoaxes

Originally posted by Padraic@Aug 24 2004, 12:29 PM
and that fellow from the Civil War who seemed believable. (I went back and read his story after I posted mine, to see if there was anyone else with an experience close to mine.)

Yes, I believe his name was Kyle. Many on this board would be familiar with that thread on ttf.tk

I find this remarkable given the benefit of the doubt that most of you seem to have given me.

We give you that respect and listen because your manners have been impecable and you have broken no rules here.

Is it because some of those people come across as rude or condescending with all their \"I am so far advanced you could not understand if I told you\" kind of talk?

You've hit the nail on the head there. Chronohistorian did that on the ttf.tk forum and on the ttinstitute forum. His rudeness would get him warned and eventually banned from this forum community.

"Mom"

Padraic

bad hoaxes

Yes, I was familiar with Chrono from the other board. He was the one I had a few exchanges with. He was not the most shining example of intellectual prowess I have ever come across. If he had been more polite, his story might have been a good read and somewhat amusing. I also just noticed a typo in my post here. I called Chris "Christ." While Chris may be a fine upstanding fellow in his own right, I do not think he warrants that title I so unwittingly gave him. At the very least, that would burden him with a bit too much to try to live up to.

Padraic

John

bad hoaxes

What you talkin' bout Willis?

I am talking about the mental gauntlet most members here put a time traveler through. I wouldn't hoax here. It would be too stressful.

Most of the time the hoaxers just quit posting here out of frustration at seeing their stories having holes punched all through them. We got a tough crowd over here.

Be forewarned Padraic, if you are hoaxing, they'll see it and once the smell of blood hits the water...you get the picture. They can be mean.

Especially Cary.

sosuemetoo

bad hoaxes

Padriac,

Really I think a hoaxer would be afraid to show up here...we have the Anti-Christ (Satan) and a Southerner with a 10 gauge shot gun (CaryP) ;)

John

bad hoaxes

I am not a threat at all. But you did forget the computer genius JediStryker who can hunt you down and tell you the color of your bed sheets with only your email address.

CaryP

bad hoaxes

Be forewarned Padraic, if you are hoaxing, they'll see it and once the smell of blood hits the water...you get the picture. They can be mean.

Especially Cary.

Mean? We ain't seen mean - yet. I posted a warning to old Paddy already. It was taken down, and I'm cool with that. But all I really want to say is watch your step there Paddy. The people here are mostly friendly - til somebody tries to jack with us. And yes, I've been known to jump some ass from time to time. Mean is reserved for face to face encounters. So be cool. You want to see rude, go truck your story over at the anomalies.net board.

Also, don't let Satan fool you. I've seen him disect TT wannabe's with the precision of a well skilled surgeon. Jedi is also someone who's black list you want to avoid. The man don't suffer fools well.

Cary