Berezow: 'we will never meet intelligent aliens'

Num7

Administrator
Staff
1630633966730.png

“It does not matter if intelligent life exists elsewhere. We will never find each other,” says veteran science writer Alex Berezow.

He’s not saying they are not out there. He is throwing cold water on our chances of contacting them.

Some things, he admits, have changed:

Thanks to advances in astrophysics, we now know that there are billions of exoplanets in the Milky Way alone, leading most of the scientific community to conclude that life probably does exist elsewhere in the universe. Those who do not believe so are now considered the kooks. And while alien abductions are still not in the mainstream, UFOs are — so much so that the U.S. intelligence community just issued a report on them.

But while many are willing to acknowledge that simple life forms, at least, could exist in principle on many planets, he sees two major roadblocks to assuming that they do. First, no one really understands how life got started (abiogenesis) on Earth. Berezow notes, “There are several different theories on the origin of life, and none of them are any good.” Eminent chemist James Tour has made the same point in some detail:

Continue reading:

Wind7

Staff
Thanks to advances in astrophysics, we now know that there are billions of exoplanets in the Milky Way alone, leading most of the scientific community to conclude that life probably does exist elsewhere in the universe. Those who do not believe so are now considered the kooks. And while alien abductions are still not in the mainstream, UFOs are — so much so that the U.S. intelligence community just issued a report on them.

Not just 'Exoplanets' but Exoplanets that are considered to be in what is called "The Goldilocks Zone"
meaning that they are within the proper distance(s) from their own sun(s) for life as we know it, to flourish.
Much like our home here on Earth.

THAT to me, is exciting and really spurs the belief that 'We are not alone in this magnificent universe'.
Mind blowing when you add the 'Multi-Verse' theories in for good measure.

Never?

"Never is a very, very long time.....And I just cannot accept that."

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I agree that never is way too long. Even a tiny chance is enough.

We can't be the only ones forever, we're to few and tiny for the vast universe. We have to meet someone at some point in history, even if it's in a million years. Distance and means of traveling extreme distances have to be solved at some point, right?

Wind7

Staff
I agree that never is way too long. Even a tiny chance is enough.

We can't be the only ones forever, we're to few and tiny for the vast universe. We have to meet someone at some point in history, even if it's in a million years. Distance and means of traveling extreme distances have to be solved at some point, right?

Regarding your last line, I won't try to predict a future however,
if you look at how fast we (humans) have grown as far as creation of new and incredible technology,
I personally believe that within the next 100 years or so, we may indeed solve a few equations
and actually make it to the stars.

If not us physically, perhaps Artificially Intelligent robotics of some sort...at least at First.

Thinking of some weird Sci-Fi plot....I would hate if we accidentally made first contact that way!
;)