Biolite Outdoors and Off-Grid Energy

label

It is good to prep but prepping does leave a big target on your back. It is better if you prep and no one knows about it. My little solar system is mounted to a wall but it is not part of the house. Same is true with my solar panels I put them outside against a wall and hook them into little hooks that I have for them. I did this because 1> I am renting 2> I cannot afford to have it permanently mounted due to certification requirement and that cost so much money .

Point is no one knows I have it, I keep it out of sight out of mind. Same must be true for the food I store and everything else.

I do this because "when" things go bad people will look elsewhere and not come to me. I do this because what I have can support me and not 10 other people. So when starts to buy stuff for prepping. Pay cash, don't use those discount cards buy from another town and make an effort to "look different". I say this because people are people and in a bad situation they will take what you have and will do so by force. So if you are planning on prepping and stuff. hide it well.

Make sure you are a few moves ahead of the game.

Bones McCoy

It is good to prep but prepping does leave a big target on your back. It is better if you prep and no one knows about it. My little solar system is mounted to a wall but it is not part of the house. Same is true with my solar panels I put them outside against a wall and hook them into little hooks that I have for them. I did this because 1> I am renting 2> I cannot afford to have it permanently mounted due to certification requirement and that cost so much money .

Point is no one knows I have it, I keep it out of sight out of mind. Same must be true for the food I store and everything else.

I do this because "when" things go bad people will look elsewhere and not come to me. I do this because what I have can support me and not 10 other people. So when starts to buy stuff for prepping. Pay cash, don't use those discount cards buy from another town and make an effort to "look different". I say this because people are people and in a bad situation they will take what you have and will do so by force. So if you are planning on prepping and stuff. hide it well.

Make sure you are a few moves ahead of the game.

That is true indeed. Never tell anyone what you are going to do, or where you are going to go, etc.

label

the gray man theory... I have to say is interesting but misunderstood.

Hacking a stranger's brain into forgetting what they saw is both easy and hard. See each person have prerequisite of how someone else look. Example one can identify someone by uniform, jewelry and facial form.

First step to hack the brain is to identify normal behavior.

Coffee shop is a good place to identify attention seekers, professionals, students and the like. Most of the time you will see the clothing they have on and how they behave. It is up to your own observation to identify the "forgettable person".

Now that you know what a forgettable person looks like you will find that soft tone colors works better. How did they walk? Each detail must be looked at carefully. It is why I like to sit close to the door at a coffee shop. It allows me to see who walks in and who walks out.

In short to hide, one needs only to be forgotten. Blending in helps but being part of the noise is important.

One cast no shadow, One speak without a sound. One moves with a glimmer. Buy a generic car, they are harder to spot, a magnetic sticker goes a long way. Walk with confidence dress semi-formally. Learn to write with both hands, Learn to breath trough your nose. All these things come into play.

When you enter a store, you look confident, well spoken and so on. In a word you become generic. When you walk away they will remember someone they saw on TV that looks like you. Simple principle is to leave "self-expression" out of the picture.

This I have done my whole life. People don't remember me... They don't remember my name, the sound of my voice. They don't know how tall i am or what hand I write with.

Why? Because I am paranoid and the above was born from paranoia. People I worked with for an entire year can't remember my last name. I move around a lot so that made is also very easy. My job allows me to work from home that makes it easy as well.

But I digress... I am sure by now you think I am an idiot know-it-all... Or was that the plan ;)

Beholder

the gray man theory... I have to say is interesting but misunderstood.

Hacking a stranger's brain into forgetting what they saw is both easy and hard. See each person have prerequisite of how someone else look. Example one can identify someone by uniform, jewelry and facial form.

First step to hack the brain is to identify normal behavior.

Coffee shop is a good place to identify attention seekers, professionals, students and the like. Most of the time you will see the clothing they have on and how they behave. It is up to your own observation to identify the "forgettable person".

Now that you know what a forgettable person looks like you will find that soft tone colors works better. How did they walk? Each detail must be looked at carefully. It is why I like to sit close to the door at a coffee shop. It allows me to see who walks in and who walks out.

In short to hide, one needs only to be forgotten. Blending in helps but being part of the noise is important.

One cast no shadow, One speak without a sound. One moves with a glimmer. Buy a generic car, they are harder to spot, a magnetic sticker goes a long way. Walk with confidence dress semi-formally. Learn to write with both hands, Learn to breath trough your nose. All these things come into play.

When you enter a store, you look confident, well spoken and so on. In a word you become generic. When you walk away they will remember someone they saw on TV that looks like you. Simple principle is to leave "self-expression" out of the picture.

This I have done my whole life. People don't remember me... They don't remember my name, the sound of my voice. They don't know how tall i am or what hand I write with.

Why? Because I am paranoid and the above was born from paranoia. People I worked with for an entire year can't remember my last name. I move around a lot so that made is also very easy. My job allows me to work from home that makes it easy as well.

But I digress... I am sure by now you think I am an idiot know-it-all... Or was that the plan ;)
Had a coworker who knew everyone from school when he started, but none of us could remember who he was. Had that generic forgettable face and nothing that stood out.

Bones McCoy

stiffkeyww1.jpg

label

When you look at survival situation it is not the same as looking to survive an energy shortage.

For 1> your life is not in danger 2> people are not looking for you actively and 3> you still have access to food and water.

When looking to make a situation bearable you want to focus on the things you need to work when the power isn't working. For most of us it is a smart phone and or laptop but normally both. But what of your router? It needs to work but can it work? Ask your ISP about that.

Perhaps start small with a camping power supply that runs on solar. Chances are 50/50 that you will have a sunny day. Wind power and power generated by the human body on small scale isn't worth it.

Truth is when you use your own body to generate power it will consume food to make up for the loss of energy. This means you will need to store more food. Rather invest in systems that doesn't require you to be it's power-source.

You do get UPS systems "uninterrupted power supply" systems for your internet router, for your laptop or desktop computer that can easily provide your device with up to 5 hours or power and many of those systems can be recharged using solar.

Again solar is expensive and not all that wonderful BUT it is what we have so we have to make it work.

Beholder

I have a 4G router that is supposed to run on a battery, but it's certainly no survival model because the useless device is only designed to charge from high current. No ability to charge while powered off. Any change in current will turn on the super bright LCD screen and burn 10% battery capacity before I had time to charge 1%. My Android phone also keep wasting power by turning on the screen and starting all kinds of crap in the background, thinking that it's connected to the power grid and can consume endless energy. :fp: Android really needs an extra low power survival mode, or just never turn on the screen when power is plugged in. The only charging done so far is from another battery charged from the solar panel with 90% waste.